9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 08-18-2014, 10:12 AM
SCOA Club

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Smart 451- Transmission noise during acceleration

Hello, Curious as there are not many Smarts in the location I live (central California) if a rattle from Clutch/Transmission area is normal during acceleration.

The noise seems to be present while only in gear and during slow accelerations (parking lot manuevers), but can also hear it during 3rd gear and 4th gear pulls.

I may have to take a video which is hard, just really wish there were more Smart cars around here to compare with.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 08-18-2014, 10:37 AM
163K+ miles of smiles
SCOA Club

Thanked 1,756 Times in 780 Posts
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mk2mike View Post
Hello, Curious as there are not many Smarts in the location I live (central California) if a rattle from Clutch/Transmission area is normal during acceleration.

The noise seems to be present while only in gear and during slow accelerations (parking lot manuevers), but can also hear it during 3rd gear and 4th gear pulls.

I may have to take a video which is hard, just really wish there were more Smart cars around here to compare with.
It's not abnormal. The Getrag transmission in our smarts has a fairly coarse gearset. Combine that with it's close proximity to your ear, and you will hear more noise than in most other manual cars. Mine has made that noise since new. 159K+, and it still runs great. You can post a video if you want, but my guess is: it's perfectly normal.
#3 (permalink) Old 08-18-2014, 12:37 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Maybe check your trans fluid level as well. It's not hard to do.
jefferios and Neonspinnazz like this.
#4 (permalink) Old 08-19-2014, 04:35 AM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Garage
Yes they make funky noises, a video posted here would help us out.
#5 (permalink) Old 08-19-2014, 04:38 AM
SCOA Club

Thanked 1,444 Times in 880 Posts
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Garage
They are particularly noisy in the lower gears going slow. Sounds like a box of rocks.
kheran likes this.
#6 (permalink) Old 08-19-2014, 05:38 AM
Mad about smarts and Cats
SCOA Club

Thanked 1,955 Times in 1,148 Posts
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Many of us were alarmed the first time we drove alongside the building at a drive-thru restaurant with the window down. Box of rocks, can of nuts and bolts, etc.
If you really want to be disturbed, drive briefly with the engine compartment open, of course with the windows open for a short distance (you don't want to inhale carbon monoxide). You will hear all kinds of sounds that you would be surprised come out of an engine/transmission.

I drove mine four hours back to the dealer, and was told it sounded normal. After I left, I went back and asked to drive their demonstrator. It sounded the same way. I was particularly curious about the sound it makes when the clutch lets out and load is taken on by the engine. Yep, it was the same. Fuddgggge
Have you felt the thumps under the floor board by your left foot yet at drive off? ABS self check. Normal.
Neonspinnazz likes this.
#7 (permalink) Old 09-01-2014, 04:42 PM
SCOA Club

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BB Benz View Post
Have you felt the thumps under the floor board by your left foot yet at drive off? ABS self check. Normal.
ABS self check eh? I have noticed when driving off from a cold start thumping noise and it always seemed like it was from going in reverse to drive gear.

This makes sense as the ABS unit is mounted right under, I'm used to driving longer cars were you can pin point noises from front to rear but on these it all sounds like it's from the Middle! hahaha

Thanks for all the feedback, the car has it's little quirks... which is good.

Sometimes I wish I went the Electric route, but living 3 hours from the closest dealer kinda kept me away from that
Neonspinnazz and BB Benz like this.
#8 (permalink) Old 09-01-2014, 07:12 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
This might sound stupid but have you check to see if the belly pan is vibrating against anything. I have noticed on some it can vibrate up against things and rattle as you accelerate
#9 (permalink) Old 09-02-2014, 11:27 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Is that what that noise is the abs self check ha! I had no idea what was. I kinda thought something something was wrong until I heard it in a video listening to some exhaust.
#10 (permalink) Old 09-02-2014, 02:40 PM
ADOPT...Don't Shop!
SCOA Club

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Garage
Just wait for the day you hear the "wet vac" noise from the back when you start the car.
(secondary air pump)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Smart Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode