Tire rotation? - Smart Car Forums
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 12-14-2009, 06:00 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Tire rotation?

How often are the tires on the Smart supposed to be rotated? The interval is not stated in the owners manual. I read in a thread that some suggest not even rotating but I don't know... Anyone know the correct answer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 12-14-2009, 07:40 PM
SCOA Club

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Garage
You can not rotate from front to back. Differant size tires. You can do one of two things.

1) buy same size tires that are on the back and mount them on new rims

or

2) do what I do rotate side to side every 5,000 miles. My tires are wearing even after 12,000 miles doing this.
#3 (permalink) Old 12-14-2009, 09:06 PM

If you install the same size tires on all four wheels they you certainly can rotate them both front to back and side to side - provided that they are not 'directional' tires - in that case they can only be rotated front to back and vice versa.

With the OEM tires it really does not do much good to rotate them side to side unless there is an alignment problem. If you want to rotate side to side, then to be most effective they should be dismounted and remounted reversing them on the wheel so that the rotation direction ends up to be the same and so that the worn inside of the tread will now be on the outside.

As to how often you should rotate - well that is up to your discretion. If they are wearing evenly then there is no reason to rotate. If not it all depends on how fast and how much uneven wear is taking place.
#4 (permalink) Old 12-15-2009, 05:18 AM
SCOA Club

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Tire rotation?

Can't resist this. . . .

My tires rotate every time I drive, don't yours?
#5 (permalink) Old 12-15-2009, 06:07 AM
Closed

I have been tracking my tire wear at the shoulder sipes with a depth gauge. The inner shoulders of the fronts are wearing twice as fast as the outer shoulders. The wider rears are wearing evenly from side-to-side (in spite of the permanent 2º negative camber) and much slower than the fronts. It can’t be eyeballed; it has to be done with a depth gauge.

If my numbers continue as-is, I will look to reverse the fronts on the rims at about 23,000 miles (3-year service) and look for a total of about 46,000 miles until they are at their allowable 1.6mm depth. That will be about 6 years of use, the time when some (including smart) recommend that they should be retired on age. Rears too.

Last edited by Old smart; 12-15-2009 at 01:25 PM. Reason: add smart
#6 (permalink) Old 12-15-2009, 07:54 AM
SCOA Club

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Garage
You can have them flipped on the rims
#7 (permalink) Old 12-15-2009, 08:05 AM
SCOA Club

Thanked 1,425 Times in 864 Posts
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrumbarger View Post
Can't resist this. . . .

My tires rotate every time I drive, don't yours?
Wish I said that....I put 95,000 miles on a set of Michelins with the wife's old Voyager van. never did rotate them and they had to pound the rims off the truck as they were rusted on after 6 years.

Rotating tires is only needed if they are wearing unevenly
#8 (permalink) Old 12-15-2009, 11:49 AM

So what is the correct thing to do? What do most people do? This is my first car so I dont' know much about rotating tires cuz you don't do that w/ motorcycles. Seems like nobody knows.
#9 (permalink) Old 12-15-2009, 12:28 PM
Bohemian Moderator
SCOA Club

Thanked 4,721 Times in 2,739 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerboy View Post
So what is the correct thing to do? What do most people do? This is my first car so I dont' know much about rotating tires cuz you don't do that w/ motorcycles. Seems like nobody knows.
Go with the guidance in your owners manual.
#10 (permalink) Old 12-15-2009, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerboy View Post

I used to work in the tire industry and here's what I would recommend (I'm doing the same myself).

DON'T ROTATE AT ALL!!! Just wear them out, then replace them. When you finally do replace them, go with all four the same size. When you do get a 2nd set of tires, go a little extra wide for not only stability but also to get out of the uncommon OE tire size that's on there now.

You live in CA so you don't need the snow/ice traction like we do in MN. Just run them down to the wear bars and get new ones. Don't flip the tires. Don't rotate side to side. Just keep them where they are and wear those Contis out. Then when it's time to get new one, get back on here and we'll give you advices on your next tire purchase. Good luck.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Smart Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode