User Tag List

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 05-29-2009, 04:31 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Transmission Fluid for Smart

I will like to know the type of Transmission FLuid I have to use in my Smart For Two?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 05-29-2009, 04:34 PM
Closed

From smartUSA's service fluid listing:

"Transmission
Specification (Castrol Manual**) BOT328, 75W-90 API GL4
smart P/N #A 001 989 51 03 10
Mobil Delvac Synthetic gear oil 75W-90
Mobil 1 Synthetic Gear Lube LS 75W-90"

** Full nomenclature from M-B Sheet 235.72 for smart 451 and 454, dated 08 MAY 09.

N.B. smart 450s and 452s use M-B Sheet 235.71, listing Esso ATF D 21065 only (08MAY09).

Last edited by Old smart; 06-14-2009 at 07:17 AM. Reason: update
#3 (permalink) Old 06-03-2009, 12:25 AM
Banned

You forgot Amsoil SVG 75W90, too.
Lasts up to 100,000 miles. Best stuff money can buy. I have 3 quarts of it sitting here waiting to put in the smart.
#4 (permalink) Old 06-03-2009, 03:34 AM
Closed

Quote:
Originally Posted by homeslice View Post
You forgot Amsoil SVG 75W90, too.
Lasts up to 100,000 miles. Best stuff money can buy. I have 3 quarts of it sitting here waiting to put in the smart.
I didn't forget it; smart did. If you actually had a smart like many of us here do, you would know that smart doesn't specify any transmission oil change for the life of the car.
#5 (permalink) Old 06-03-2009, 10:11 AM
Banned

What do you mean life of the car? A life of the car for me is about 400,000 miles or more. Actually, there's almost no limit on a new car today. You can easily put 1,000,000 miles on a new car if you take care of it.
#6 (permalink) Old 06-03-2009, 11:17 AM
Closed

Quote:
What do you mean life of the car? A life of the car for me is about 400,000 miles or more. Actually, there's almost no limit on a new car today. You can easily put 1,000,000 miles on a new car if you take care of it.
It isn't what I mean, it is what smart means, and of which you were informed. Specifically, at no time or mileage does the smart service regimen call for changing transmission oil.
#7 (permalink) Old 06-03-2009, 11:51 AM
Banned

I know a guy who had a '95 Jaguar. He bought 2 large containers of the Amsoil ATF to have it flushed. He went to the Jag dealer and the dealer told him, "You don't need to change it. You have lifetime fluid in there." He then wanted to get a refund on the ATF. I told him, "Are you going to believe those people? There's no oil in the world that lasts a lifetime."

He told me, "Year, you're right. I'll go and flush it."

2 weeks later I spoke to him again and he told me that the car never ran so good for as long as he owned it. I think a year later he ended up becoming an Amsoil dealer himself.

I simply don't trust dealers or mechanics. I read up on the oil and I go the interval the oil states that it's capable of going. I've been doing this for many years and my car runs like new.

On 2 different cars I ran the 0W30 oil and put over 34,000 miles on the same oil in both of them (switching oil filters, of course) and the cars ran flawlessly. I still have one of the cars now. No sludge whatsoever. Zero oil consumption. Gas mileage is still tip top.

Now keep in mind, I am not racing my cars nor am I hauling stuff with them. Also, I do not have any turbo's installed. I was using this car to drive 200 miles per day to go back and forth to work. I lived in a very rural area and had to commute far since there was no other decent paying jobs in my area.

People keep pushing Mobil 1 and other synthetics having no knowledge about them other than what they see in magazines or commercials. It's only fair that somebody stands up for Amsoil. I am saving a fortune with this oil. I just want to see other people saving money with it, too.

Why buy oils that have short intervals? That's a hassle to change them and is a waste of money. I love it when people save money and have their cars run like brand new for as long as they own them. Then if they get 200,000 miles on them, they can continue to keep driving them or if they get bored, they can sell the car. But at least it's their "option" to sell the car. If the car is burning oil and all kinds of stuff, then it makes you want to get rid of it from the problems.

At least a clutch replacement on a fortwo is very reasonable for a German car.
#8 (permalink) Old 06-03-2009, 12:25 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old smart View Post
It isn't what I mean, it is what smart means, and of which you were informed. Specifically, at no time or mileage does the smart service regimen call for changing transmission oil.
You can not win, Thanks for the specs. Manual transmissions do not have the heat or combustion to deal with so all that I have had never required fluid change just fluid level checks.
#9 (permalink) Old 06-03-2009, 12:45 PM
Banned

At least the fluid shouldn't be too hard to drain. There's 2 plugs for it. You will need some kind of pump or something to get the fluid to go into the top plug. There's no room to tilt a bottle up in the air to pour the fluid in. I already checked.
#10 (permalink) Old 06-03-2009, 01:20 PM

Quote:
At least the fluid shouldn't be too hard to drain. There's 2 plugs for it. You will need some kind of pump or something to get the fluid to go into the top plug. There's no room to tilt a bottle up in the air to pour the fluid in. I already checked.
No pump needed, just a small funnel and a short piece of tubing. You can then easily fill from the engine compartment above.

Oh, and make sure you open the top fill plug before you remove the drain plug. If you drain the fluid first and then find that you're unable to open the fill plug, you're in trouble.

Oh, and can you kindly ease up a bit on the Amsoil advertising? There's no question the company makes good lubricants, but they aren't the be-all, end-all. To each, his own. Thanks.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Smart Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode