User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 09-30-2010, 06:34 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Garage
UltraGauge - here are the gauges included

The UltraGauge is a new competitor to the Scangauge II, but at half the cost, and a more modern look. Okay, this isn't a review, because I can't possibly top the review this guy gave - it's the most entertaining review I've ever read, I do believe:
http://www.451s.com/forum/topics/installing-and-evaluating-an

I bought mine for $76 shipped; ordered it on a Thursday and received it on Monday. I will get $9 back when I get around to their rebate process. The gauge can be bought, and a lot more information including the users' manual, can be found here:
http://www.ultra-gauge.com/ultragauge/index.htm

I personally can't compare it to the Scangauge II, since I don't have both. I know that I like the look of the UltraGauge better? But one thing I haven't seen posted - just what gauges does one get with the UltraGauge? And here is the answer to that question. Below is a pic of the gauge (sitting in Park), the top left is the main menu, then the rest of the screens show every gauge available in our dear smart, 49 in all.

I mounted mine just like Ptero did. I am not sure if I'll find a better place or not. It's really in a perfect, easy to see place - but being on that long mounting rod, it shakes a bit from time to time. And as Ptero say's, it looks "a brain puzzle for crackheads", being out in the open like that. I want to find something to hang on it when I get out of the car, like Brabus007 does with his GPS.

I'm having a lot of fun with my latest driving distraction, watching the Engine Load fluctuate while going up and down hills, watching my instant and average mpg - I can hardly wait to fill up this weekend to see how accurate it is. Being a computer nut, I naturally love having another computer.

It shows 6 things at once, and you can set it up to cycle thru 3 screens of 6 items, but I doubt I will do that; it would be hard to deal with it always changing while you're trying to look at something, I would think.

Overall, I'm thrilled with it so far, 4 days into ownership! Feel free to ask any questions, and if I can, I will answer. I have not been a hypermiler by any stretch of the imagination, and probably won't be now either.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 09-30-2010, 06:54 AM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Garage
I always thought the scan gauge was overpriced. This looks like a good deal, but I probably won't get one. Still making the payments on my new remote control smart.
#3 (permalink) Old 09-30-2010, 06:54 AM
Bohemian Moderator
SCOA Club

Thanked 4,823 Times in 2,792 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Garage
Thanks for the info - this looks interesting and the price (on sale) is right. Could you post a photo of the mounting method you used? The one in the link isn't clear. Thanks!
#4 (permalink) Old 09-30-2010, 07:03 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwight View Post
Thanks for the info - this looks interesting and the price (on sale) is right. Could you post a photo of the mounting method you used? The one in the link isn't clear. Thanks!
You bet - I had the same problem. Below is a pic of where the base goes. To do this, you have to cut off most of the clear suction cup so it will be thin enough. And I had to use my favorite little plastic prying tool to get the edge of the A/C controls housing up a little bit to fit that right edge under. Also, you have to start the thing further up top, get it under the two edges, then gently bring it all towards you, to get it at the angle you want. In my post on the other site I said I couldn't quite see the wording in the bottom left, but while looking at my own picture I realized - slide it a little higher, duh, and now it's all perfectly visible at all times. And of course I have to cable manage somehow, I haven't taken the time to work that out yet.

Last edited by Toolman; 09-30-2010 at 07:08 AM.
#5 (permalink) Old 09-30-2010, 07:24 AM
SCOA Club

Thanked 1,444 Times in 880 Posts
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Garage
Nice looking unit, nice pricing too.
#6 (permalink) Old 09-30-2010, 07:44 AM
SCOA Club

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Too bad it does not display metric units. The current price makes it very tempting, due to the extra 2 display items over the SGII.
#7 (permalink) Old 09-30-2010, 07:46 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huronlad View Post
Too bad it does not display metric units. The current price makes it very tempting, due to the extra 2 display items over the SGII.
I know! I'm sorry, I have a new friend in Canada (Hi John Carson!) and learned the same thing, I should have mentioned that. That part sucks.

Last edited by Toolman; 09-30-2010 at 08:58 AM.
#8 (permalink) Old 09-30-2010, 02:11 PM
CT Chapter President
SCOA Club

Garage
I might just have to get this. Looks like a great price and has a ton of features.

How up-to-date is the RPM gauge?

Thanks for posting this! It looks awesome!
#9 (permalink) Old 09-30-2010, 02:15 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcar111 View Post
I might just have to get this. Looks like a great price and has a ton of features.

How up-to-date is the RPM gauge?

Thanks for posting this! It looks awesome!
Since I don't have a real tach either I don't know for absolutely sure. But I 'think' it's about a half second behind - if it's sitting there idling and I press on the gas, the numbers start climbing pretty darned quickly. Somebody else said they thought these gauges had a 3-5 second delay, but I'm sure that's not true about RPM's on this particular gauge. I wanted it to be a tach first and foremost myself. I guess you could say it's "almost real time"!
#10 (permalink) Old 09-30-2010, 02:32 PM
CT Chapter President
SCOA Club

Garage
Awesome! Thank you!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Smart Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode