Won't go into reverse sometimes - Smart Car Forums
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 08-28-2010, 06:14 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Won't go into reverse sometimes

It only happens once in a while over past 6 months, when I first start my car, it wont go into reverse, just from park straight into neutral, I have to keep playing with it or shut it off completely and restart it, then finally it will go into reverse. It doesnt happen all the time just every once in a while, can anyone tell me what this might be? I bought my car at carmax in mo. They said to take it to a smart car dealership, but what if it doesnt do "it" when they look at it, like I said it only happens once in a while. Thanks Jen in Mo.. My lil Dinky.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 08-28-2010, 06:30 AM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
There ia a firmware update for that problem at your Smart Dealer... Take it in... Are you still under warranty...???
Its a known problem...<:-((
#3 (permalink) Old 08-28-2010, 06:32 AM
68K miles of smiles
SCOA Club

Thanked 2,284 Times in 1,413 Posts
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Garage
You didn't say what year it is..........BUT..........it sounds like the clutch issue.

IF it's still under warranty, take it to the dealer for replace/software update...

IF not, still take it in but it will be on YOUR dime

As Brabus007 said...........known issue
#4 (permalink) Old 08-28-2010, 06:53 AM
Mad about smarts and Cats
SCOA Club

Thanked 1,954 Times in 1,147 Posts
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chieftmc View Post
You didn't say what year it is..........BUT..........it sounds like the clutch issue.

IF it's still under warranty, take it to the dealer for replace/software update...

IF not, still take it in but it will be on YOUR dime

As Brabus007 said...........known issue
I would press the issue if you're out of warranty, take it to the level of smart usa, because it is a known issue and needs the software update. Why wouldn't they do it for free? IT IS A DESIGN FLAW.
#5 (permalink) Old 08-28-2010, 07:03 AM

Mine started having that problem a few months ago. I did the transmission re-train sequence and it hasn't done it in about 2 months. It had been increasing to 2x/week.
#6 (permalink) Old 08-28-2010, 07:09 AM
Mad about smarts and Cats
SCOA Club

Thanked 1,954 Times in 1,147 Posts
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Actually PNRND.

[QUOTE=SmartDinkyinMO;365920]It only happens once in a while over past 6 months, when I first start my car, it wont go into reverse, just from park straight into neutral....

The smart transmission on a day when it is working perfectly: will display an N between park and Reverse and also between Reverse and Drive.
It goes through neutral and displays the N between gear selections in auto mode. I noticed that by chance yesterday as the little Benz took me to lunch yesterday from work, and we were spending some quality time togeher.
#7 (permalink) Old 08-28-2010, 06:43 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BB Benz View Post
I would press the issue if you're out of warranty, take it to the level of smart usa, because it is a known issue and needs the software update. Why wouldn't they do it for free? IT IS A DESIGN FLAW.
I know i am having that same little issue and it was fixed under the warranty. I am going to nicely pursue the dealership for this one as it is happening again. I am not really that thrilled myself.

And i really like my car too.
#8 (permalink) Old 08-28-2010, 08:32 PM
SCOA Club

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Garage
I had mine done under warranty. It no longer comes home smelling like burnt clutch. Which was considered normal before the new clutch.
#9 (permalink) Old 11-29-2010, 10:00 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
This happened to me last week before we traveled. After a few tries, it engaged and worked.

On our return to the airport, it took some 15 to 20 tries before it engaged.

It has worked fine since. We have 20,500 miles and are 6 months beyond the 2-yr warranty. Have the smart-branded "extended" warranty.

If they claim that the clutch is a wear and tear item and refuse to cover this, I'll be disappointed. Clutches should not wear out after 20,000 miles.
#10 (permalink) Old 11-29-2010, 10:49 AM

Happened to me as well. It seems to happen mostly when there is even the slightest slope where your front tires are. I noticed it only happened in this one parking spot at work that had a slight dip in the front. I'm going to have them look at it when I bring it in for my 20k checkup.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Smart Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode