Smart Car of America Forum banner

Wrench Symbol

33K views 21 replies 20 participants last post by  JPaul 
#1 ·
Does anyone know what the different Wrench codes mean? I recently started getting a wrench code that seems to be counting down? I believe it started at 18 and is currently showing 8, it seems each time I start the car it counts down a number. Does anyone have a repair cd-rom to sell??

Thank You
Don Miller

#4 ·
Odd - I just noticed this -- it started a -4 and I have under 3k on the mileage. I would love to find a good maintenance manual on the smart car -- would a code reader tell more info what service item is requested?

The round trip from the dealership is well over 100 miles - so I can't just pop in and ask what's up.

Brad - having fun in Colorado

#8 ·
This comes from the manual for 2008 which I believe is posted:

Maintenance

Complete vehicle Introduction of the smart fortwo, Model Series 451
Maintenance interval display (WIA)
The maintenance interval display is located in the
multifunction display of the instrument cluster.
The maintenance intervals are indicated by the
lighting of one or two wrench symbols.
In addition, approximately one month in advance of a
scheduled service date the multifunction display
shows the remaining time (in days) until it is due. After
engine start the range (in miles) is displayed for about
ten seconds.
P54.32-5676-00
Instrument cluster
A1 Instrument cluster
A1p13 Multifunction display
i

Note
When the Oil Service Plus or a maintenance service
has been performed, the maintenance interval
display can be reset to the starting distance on
the instrument cluster itself or via STAR
DIAGNOSIS.
(See WIS for a detailed description.)

#9 ·
I just did my annual maintenance (oil change, cabin air filter change, etc.) today and I'm having no luck resetting the light. The manual says to press the button on the left of the dash to reset it, but all that seems to reset is the trip odometer. Am I going to have to take it to the dealer to get it reset?

#11 ·
Either back to the dealer, or use the instructions here. I had a hell of a time getting the directions on the link to work, but they do. The dealer wanted $150 to change the oil, the cabin filter, look over the car, and reset the light.

The manual contains no useful instructions for resetting the blinking wrenc.

#10 ·
Ha ha! I'm coming up on a year of ownership - and still only have 4500 miles (ok, I'm retired) on the car and I just got the wrench symbol today......mine is counting up - not down. Calling tomorrow. Will post more when I hear from my dealership - also 120 miles round trip.

#12 ·
The manual contains no useful instructions for resetting the blinking wrench.
The car doesn't come with a proper Service Manual, just a general Operator's Handbook. Benz will not release a Service Manual to us - the kind of comprehensive manual that would include the reset code, etc.

They expect you to just take your car to the Dealership whenever the car's indicator sys, toss them the keys, and say, "Here you are my good man... Do whatever is necessary and fill in the amount on this blank cheque."

LOL!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.