SCOA Club

Thanked 5,507 Times in 3,291 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by blshu254 View Post
I have a 2006 Smartfortwo Passion. I have lost one of the ignition/remote door lock keys, and want to get another. I am having no success locally in Maryland or Virginia (I live in Bethesda, MD). I am fearful that I will lose the remaining one, or it will go dead. Are you aware of any shop in my area that might be able to order and program replacement keys for a 450?
Check this from Ron Gaus at asmartcar.com - Don't be Foolish on Smart Car Choices Finally, an answer for extra keys (I hope)!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-24-2008, 12:14 PM
Bohemian Moderator
SCOA Club

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jediknight36 View Post
This will sounds a bit cold so please do not take it like that but how much support does the forum give to those of us who own 450s and what percentage of people on here own one? Thats where you will see if they are getting enough support.

EX: 15% own a 450 and they complain that they only get about 10-15% support, then they actually are getting lots of help. My thing is that not many in NA actually have 450's so we dont know alot about them. Evolution is the biggest help I would gather. And anyone from europe.
Have to disagree somewhat, in that this is a smart forum, not a 450 or 451 forum. Granted, more 451 owners now but SMART is looking for ways to do more for the 450 owners. Ron Gaus and Sherwin both support the forum and supply advice and parts. In fact, the nearest sources for all things 450 are in Canada and Mexico, which is not to downplay the excellent info from Evilution.co.uk and places like BigPerformance. So, IMHO we're doing a lot for the 450 guys but can and should try to do more. Just my .02.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-05-2008, 01:54 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
JWight,

If Smart is looking for ways to do more for 450 owners then why did Smart, just a few days ago, tell all US Smart Center Parts departments that they can no longer order parts for the grey market 450s?

==================
Suggestions:
==================

One thing we can do here for 450 owners to keep sharing what we find out. Where are there parts sellers? Are they reliable? Which members have had experiences? Experience reviews? etc.

I am receiving a nice order from SmartMadness.com and i live in Colorado. As soon as I get the parts, I will compile a quick review stating time from clicking Buy on the website to having parts at my door, ease of order process, customer service, etc.

Also, if anyone here is a smart parts reseller (OEM or aftermarket) _PLEASE_ continue to make yourself known.

We could talk to other 450 owners we may see. Just today I met a person at the Denver Smart Center that has a 2006 Smart ForTwo Pulse 450. He didn't know about this forum, or any others, and some really good insight into the exhaust/turbo pipe problem (the pipe between the two is very thin steel) and how to repair it. For free!

We could also talk to the Smart Centers about us, this forum, etc. We're all involved with Smart somehow because we have a passion for these cars. Most of the people I've met at the Denver Smart Center (especially in the parts and service departments) are passionate about these cars as well.

Just my humble opinion.

Last edited by briansmart; 11-05-2008 at 01:58 PM.

post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-10-2008, 10:46 AM

Received my SmartMadness order of rubber mats and S-Mann air scoop. No instructions came with the air scoop, just an s-mann sticker, the scoop and the torx-head screws.

The rubber mats are OEM Smart rubber floor mats it seems. Nice quality, come with plastic carpet screws to hold the driver's mat in place. I did not put the screws in and the mat seems to be staying in place just fine.

I would certainly order from SmartMadness.com again, but there has to be faster turn around than 4 weeks for arrival. My order was placed on 8 October 2008 and I received the package 8 November 2008.

I am aware that this is mostly out of SmartMadness.com's control. I had also ordered a speedo plate, handbrake (never showed up) and aux connector from SmartsRUs.com and it took exactly a month as well.

Last edited by briansmart; 11-10-2008 at 11:00 AM.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-10-2008, 11:00 AM
Bohemian Moderator
SCOA Club

Garage
Brian, when I said SMART (all caps) I was referring to our site admin, not smart USA, the official importer. Cannot speak to the smart USA policy on ordering grey market 450 parts.
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-10-2008, 12:38 PM

Another helpful thing would be to post how to program codes in the 450.

Recently, Smart Centers in the USA were told they were no longer able to sell parts for the 450s. I just purchased a Brabus tachometer and installed it. Turns out that the car needs to be taken to the dealer and programmed so that the tachometer needle will actually move to show the RPM.

I know there are many enthusiast sites/stores that do remaps and clutch remaps. The process must be the same.
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-10-2008, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwight View Post
Brian, when I said SMART (all caps) I was referring to our site admin, not smart USA, the official importer. Cannot speak to the smart USA policy on ordering grey market 450 parts.
That makes much more sense.
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-05-2008, 12:36 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
if the cat breaks it covered by a 8 year 8o,000 mile warrenty do not accept a repaired or take of unit they must by epa law replace with new only i have had mine replaced and had to get epa involved to get them to replace with NEW
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-21-2009, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by technician View Post
if the cat breaks it covered by a 8 year 8o,000 mile warrenty do not accept a repaired or take of unit they must by epa law replace with new only i have had mine replaced and had to get epa involved to get them to replace with NEW
I have heard that if you (or your mechanic) contact G&K, G&K will send a new catalytic converter setup for free (or the cost of shipping, can't remember). I believe that the old one has to be returned to G&K but am not certain.

At Smart Center Denver in Colorado, I met a 450 Pulse owner that had an issue with his catalytic converter/exhaust system causing a huge problem. He made a bandaid repair to get the car to run. He contacted G&K, told them the problem and he was sent a new catalytic converter.

=======

Here is something we can do for 450 owners.

I have started a thread in the sub-forum Dealers and Parts that lists parts from the new model ForTwo (451) that work on the 450. I expect this list to grow as everyone gets more inquisitive about what is different and what is the same between the 450 and 451.

As we all find a 451 part that will work on the 450, lets try to add that part number and its description (and maybe even a picture if you're feeling adventureous) to that thread. Crazy thought but if anyone has access to the parts system for a 451 in a US Smart center, maybe we could get the same information from a Canadian Smart center for the 450 and compare notes.

Just as an aside, my favorite (so far) of the parts has to be the 2-cup cup holder Just walk in to a smart center, tell them you want to order the cup holder and the attachment screw. The screw is NOT included with the cup holder. Be certain to order the little plastic screw that attaches the cup holder to the accesory stalk. They usually do NOT have this plastic piece part in stock. Attach it to your 450's accessory console. Now you can hold two drinks and now the car really is for two.

Last edited by briansmart; 08-21-2009 at 08:43 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Smart Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode