7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-28-2016, 11:37 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
dealer installed the license plate crooked

Hello,

I need some help please! I bought a 2015 Smart Car Brabus edition and the license plate was installed crooked on the rear panel. The dealer is to far away to return the vehicle to correct the problem so I need some advise and help from all of you.

Can I just raise the location up and re-attach? I see the two small horizontal marks on the rear panel that they put the screws through but it sits to low and it is also crooked! Is that a location that I can use to re-attach the license plate? Put new holes level between those marks? It needs to be raised up higher and re-attached so it is level. The screws are also only a half an inch long and won't affix the licesnse plate and frame to the vehicle. What length screw should I use?

Thank you for any and all help!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-28-2016, 12:00 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 996 Post(s)
Was the car new or previously-loved when you bought it?

Did you see the issue before taking delivery, or after?

How crooked is the plate? Put a level across the edge of the license plate to measure.
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-28-2016, 12:07 PM Thread Starter

The car was new and I didn't see it until after delivery. It's just slightly crooked. And the screws are only 1/2 inch long which is to short to attach a factory smart license plate frame.

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-28-2016, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartmn1 View Post
The car was new and I didn't see it until after delivery. It's just slightly crooked. And the screws are only 1/2 inch long which is to short to attach a factory smart license plate frame.

If your panels are nonmetallic, then you could ask the dealer to send you a replacement hatch panel which would come with a molded-in color that would be a perfect match.

Otherwise, you might consider modifying one hole in your license plate, so that you can adjust it to compensate for the minor variance.

I wouldn't want to mess with the existing panel, and risk making it worse without dealer involvement.

A "factory" license plate frame is thin plastic, and should fit regardless of the screw length.
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-28-2016, 01:59 PM Thread Starter

Stevevillatoro,

The car is Silver if that's what you mean by matallic. The license plate frame is a brushed stainless steel and not plastic. The idea of adjusting the plate frame is good but it still doesn't answer the question if the placement can be can be moved up or down slightly on the panel. I could just move it up or down and put a small amount of silicon in the previous holes to prevent moisture if I knew the area that screws will take hold. I still don't have the answer that I'm looking for. What area on the rear panel will accept the screws?

Is there a built up area on the backside of the panel that is two inches by two inches or something like that? Will it accept the screws anywhere as long as it's close? Anyone have a picture of a removed rear panel? I sure don't want to keep adding a bunch of holes to my car only to find out the license plant won't hold on! This sucks!

Hartmn
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-28-2016, 02:40 PM

Your clarification helps a lot.

But I can't imagine it being possible to move the plate more than a fraction of an inch without (1) exposing your blobs of filler, and/or (2) causing a compliance issue with the license plate lighting during night driving.

I'd simply modify the plate holes by the tiny amount needed to level it, and get longer screws if needed. And leave the hatch panel unscathed. Why complicate it?
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-28-2016, 04:02 PM

Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Garage
I might suggest waiting until you take your car in for service and/or warranty work at the dealership if they are too far away for a trip just to fix the license plate. Live with it until then, but I'd sure go on written record of the problem and that you expect them to fix it. And don't listen to them when they tell you that you can fix it by letting the air out of the tires on the high side until the license plate is level.

Len
2014 EV
stevenvillatoro likes this.
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-28-2016, 04:10 PM

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Who drills the holes: the dealership or the manufacturer?

Can understand the OP's caution about further drilling.

When fixed/leveled, would the errant hole(s) be fully concealed by the license plate? If so, then a DIY fix might be easiest. However, if a filled hole(s) would be visible above the plate, then consider reaching out.

If it's the dealership who drilled, then they would have bent over backwards to fix it before the sale. Doubt they would've said "take it or leave it" if you pointed out the crooked plate before signing the purchase contract. You obviously didn't drill the holes, so there shouldn't be squabbling over who caused the crookedness after you drove off the lot.

Contact the dealership first with pictures, if a DIY fix will leave visible hole mark(s). Since they are located a long distance from you, then insist that they authorize you to have the work performed at your local smart service center with full reimbursement to you.

If it's the manufacturer who drilled, then contact smart USA. They could refer you to your local service smart center to have the work performed at no charge.
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-28-2016, 05:01 PM

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenvillatoro View Post
I'd simply modify the plate holes by the tiny amount needed to level it, and get longer screws if needed. And leave the hatch panel unscathed. Why complicate it?
Good idea!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	License Plate.png
Views:	99
Size:	2.2 KB
ID:	19961  
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-28-2016, 06:04 PM
SCOA Club

Thanked 2,278 Times in 1,315 Posts
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 920 Post(s)
MY15, new purchased from a smart Center?

Have you called the dealer or your salesperson? Pictures speak a thousand words and can support your case.

Sooner or later you may need to advise them of your issue/disappointment and I'd put the emphasis on SOONER.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Smart Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode