smart Durability - Smart Car Forums
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 11-13-2007, 08:01 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
smart Durability

My wife wants a smart to commute to work in. She drives 35 miles on the freeway to and from work daily (by herself). She currently is cummuting in a Turbo Beetle and has put 80K miles on the car in just over 4 years (second set of tires & still on original brakes). She drives against traffic and has a very easy commute compaired to others driving into our metro area. Do you think a little smart is up to the task? It is pretty normal for modern freeway driven small cars to stay reliable out past 150K miles. Has anyone heard if our Canadian neighbors have had good experiences with freeway commuting with the smart?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 11-13-2007, 08:27 PM

I'm glad you're asking this question - I'm in a similar boat - er, uh - CAR.
I drive 37 miles each way, mostly freeway. One big difference, though, is the weather. I'm a little concerned my summer travels might be akin to being a bug under a magnifying glass because of the clear top. I'm hoping the AC is powerful. I look forward to the responses.
Mish in (it's a dry heat) Arizona
#3 (permalink) Old 11-13-2007, 08:28 PM

Sounds like me: I'm at 70,000 miles in three years.

So far, by what I've read at clubsmart.ca, they are; and the model we're getting will have more pickup than the 450 (also poorer mileage, alas). The biggest issues seem to be replacing consumables (headlights and oil), which have been made a lot easier in the 451.
#4 (permalink) Old 11-14-2007, 02:12 AM
SCOA Club

This is great.......you can see just what REAL kind of hwy mpg our Smarty will get. I think we'll all be pleased.
#5 (permalink) Old 11-15-2007, 08:24 PM

The smart will be a desposable car. Think Geo metro. Drive it for 100k and toss it out. Few of us will keep the car more then 7 years/ 120k miles. We'll trade up for a newer one. Maybe a smart hybrid.
#6 (permalink) Old 11-16-2007, 07:12 AM

Just a little food for thought for commuters.........

I have a 450 model diesel with currently +/- 98,000 miles (157,000 kilometers) and I have had the car for only 32 months. My daily commute is 65 miles (106kms) each way or roughly 650 miles per week not including any other driving and I love it.

The only real problem I forsee are as previously mentioned the consumables for your cars. I have had the turbo and intercooler replaced and monitor my EGR valve but these are more the effects of shoddy north american diesel than the car itself. I am very pleased with my car in the commuting capacity summer or winter and will probably be replacing mine with a 451 but not until I have driven this one into the ground.
#7 (permalink) Old 11-16-2007, 08:46 AM
Bohemian Moderator
SCOA Club

Thanked 4,741 Times in 2,756 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mixed View Post
I am very pleased with my car in the commuting capacity summer or winter and will probably be replacing mine with a 451 but not until I have driven this one into the ground.
Good feedback; thanks. I think we're all a little concerned because this is a "new" car to most of us here in the lower 48, but the basic car has been around for almost 10 years and smart has given us an improved version in the 451. I'm optimistic the smart 451 will hold up as well as the 450 has.
#8 (permalink) Old 11-16-2007, 10:05 AM

Garage
I'm going to be optimistic and believe that, as long as you maintain the car well, you should be able to put well over 100k miles on it. Maybe even make it to 200k. I have a 2000 Chevrolet S-10 with 125k on it and it is still going good. Everything still works well. I am hoping to do the same with the smart.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Smart Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode