User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 11-16-2011, 04:27 PM
SCOA Club

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Smart in Buick Lacrosse Commercial?

I saw a Buick Lacrosse commercial where they showed a guy giving a white Smart car to a girl but she - looking over his shoulder - sees the the Buick Lacrosse. The announcer indicates 'would you rather have more room' (or some thing to that affect). She then becomes 'passive resistant' to the giver of the Smart car. I am looking online to find the commercial. My opinion of Buick is now lower.

While I understand the Smart is not for every one, I think they should have compared the Lacrosse with a vehicle in its own category.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 11-16-2011, 05:10 PM

Thanked 1,491 Times in 995 Posts
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigWarpGuy View Post
I saw a Buick Lacrosse commercial where they showed a guy giving a white Smart car to a girl but she - looking over his shoulder - sees the the Buick Lacrosse. The announcer indicates 'would you rather have more room' (or some thing to that affect). She then becomes 'passive resistant' to the giver of the Smart car. I am looking online to find the commercial. My opinion of Buick is now lower.

While I understand the Smart is not for every one, I think they should have compared the Lacrosse with a vehicle in its own category.
that would just tell me that's not the girl I was looking for!
#3 (permalink) Old 11-16-2011, 06:12 PM
aka 'spice'

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Garage
GM did the same thing with a Cobalt ad a while back. Why is GM afraid of the smart? I suppose if they compared themselves to a Ford or even a MB someone would think twice on buying GM. So they compare Apples to Oranges, the weak minded public falls for that kind of thing. MJB
#4 (permalink) Old 11-16-2011, 06:19 PM
SCOA Club

Garage
Any publicity is good publicity! Wonder if it sold any smarts! Can't find the vid, but still looking....
#5 (permalink) Old 11-16-2011, 06:25 PM
aka 'spice'

Garage
DVI should do one on the waste of space and gas that those 'other' cars are. And Use smart to get to work and park the BIG one for shopping at Home Depot. lol MJB
#6 (permalink) Old 11-17-2011, 03:11 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I just saw the commercial on MSNBC. It appears to be an electric Smart with a green tridion cell.

FWIW, I rented a 2012 Buick Lacrosse for a week when I was at a wedding in San Francisco. I was really impressed with it. Buick has FINALLY created a nice car. I can't say the same for my favorite manufacturer (VW)...VW has gone so far downhill that I picked a Buick over a horrid Jetta. I thought I'd never see the day that I'd pick Buick over VW.

IMO opinion the commercial was focusing more on its 36mpg with so much more space telling people they don't have to go to a compact or a micro-car to save on gas.

They're comparing a hybrid 4-cylinder Lacrosse to a non-hybrid. What I rented was the thirsty V6 Lacrosse. Comparing a hybrid to a non-hybrid is silly, but that's not the message of the commercial. The message is buy a mid-size vehicle that gets 36mpg. They can't compare it to other hybrids because they get better mpgs. Apples and oranges on multiple levels for sure.

Last edited by Brabus; 11-17-2011 at 03:20 PM.
#7 (permalink) Old 11-23-2011, 06:03 PM
SCOA Club

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigWarpGuy View Post

I saw that commercial tonight on FOX 5 and my first reaction was "oh cool a Smart car commercial" then comes this Buick Lacrosse. After seeing the look on the womans face as she was given the Electric Smart car for a gift, i am now thinking that GM should have used a comprimable car to compare the Lacrosse to, such as the Nissan Leaf. Why must they always pick on the small fry really.
#8 (permalink) Old 11-23-2011, 06:52 PM
SCOA Club

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Garage
I thought GM dropped the Buick.

I guess they need to work on brand awareness.
#9 (permalink) Old 11-23-2011, 08:47 PM
Orange Crate turbo coupe
SCOA Club

Thanked 1,919 Times in 902 Posts
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
What's sad here is that MB has a commercial where Santa is driving a red Mercedes (The sled) behind a bunch of siver Mercedes(his reindeer)
Just think, they could have put a red smart in front to be Rudolph's nose.
Fat chance of that happin'n.. Don't jump on the other companies for MB's lack of true support...
Face the music here, if it weren't for the cafe plan, smart would probably be dead in the states...
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BARNEY O For This Useful Post:
HGB (12-27-2011), kennyrayandersen (11-23-2011), rawhidekid (12-20-2011)
#10 (permalink) Old 12-19-2011, 04:53 AM

Does anyone have a link? I seen the ad, but I can't find the commerical online.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Smart Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode