I decided to post this little tutorial so others don't go through the frustration I did tonight. Recently there have been several posts about heater blower motor failures. I joined those ranks last week. My blower was operating intermittently, and when it did work, I had to have it on high to get any air movement at all. I call my local smart center, and a new motor is $287!:eek: Some have had switch failure, and some have had the resistor burn out. I traced my to the motor itself. I could wiggle the wires going into it, and change the speed of the motor. First off, after wasting 1 1/2 hours trying to figure out how to pull the heater assembly, I finally figured out it takes 2 minutes to pull the motor. Below, see the motor locaton on the heater assembly:
Next is a picture with the blower removed:
remove the connector, and simply turn the motor assembly counter-clockwise until it releases. Then pull it out.
Here is a picture of the motor out:
Remove the torx screw on the end, and you can pull the motor and fan wheel out of the plastic housing:
When I pulled the motor, the commutator was completely black. There are little white rubber covers over the brushes, pull them off, then you can move the brush springs out of the way, and clean the comm up. I started with some 400 grit wet or dry sandpaper, then moved to 600. In the next picture, you can see that the comm cleaned up nice. The motor shaft sticks out the end of the blower wheel about 1/2", I chucked that up in my cordless drill, and used that to drive it while I used my finger to hold the sandpaper against the comm. Blow it out well when your done.
Re-install in reverse order.
My fan now works perfectly, and I saved myself $300 and a 4 hour round trip to the dealer.
I'm out of warranty, that's the main reason I did this repair myself. Hope this helps some others on the forum.
By the way, these motors are built with bushings, so while I had it out, I oiled both ends as well, seemed to help.