Smart Car of America Forum banner

2016 model close out

2K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  SmartCarDan 
#1 ·
Just got this from smart center Indianapolis:
2016 Model Clearance!
The smart factory has just informed us that they have over 300 2016 smart cars to sell before the end of the year! Now is your chance to get below invoice pricing on all remaining 2016 models.
Might want to check with your local center as there are some good price reductions. :)

Caveat: beware the fuel tank filling issue...

#4 ·
Between smarts fuel tank issue that they seem unwilling/unable to fix and MBUSA's absolutely horrible attitude towards the brand, you couldn't give me a 453 right now.

It's really sad. There are a few stellar dealerships, but for the most part, you are buying a red-headed step child. I really hoped it would change with the 453, but it seems to have gotten worse...:shrug:

#5 ·
And will smart and its dealers be "officially"..........and "formally" advising prospective customers that these 2016 models.....................and seemingly the 2017 models as well....................have a known defect? One for which.............as yet.............has no resolution? Thanks..........but no thanks..........speaking only for myself. Smart has lost customer before they even had him. But I suppose these cars may be a decent deal for those who can accept and live with the issues until a "real and lasting" fix is presumably found.

I really like the fortwo concept and layout...............I really do. I'd been hoping to buy a 2017 coupe around March/April.....................but I'm no longer considering a smart. It appears the 2017 models are afflicted with the same problem as these one-model-year-old 2016's. Given the way MB USA / smart have handled the situation thus far.................I've no real confidence in the product or the company which sells it.

I'll happily drive my little Scion xB.............which has been 100% reliable since purchasing it back in 2009..........until spring..................and then shop for something else.

#7 ·
Call your dealers first!!!!!

The Chicago dealers aren't all that willing to budge on price, and the only easy discounts you'll get are from being a current smart owner (up to $1500).
If you aren't a smart owner, the most you'll get off sticker is $500 if you buy during auto show season in February.

So, call your local dealers and see what's up!!! :)

As for the fuel tank issue, if that's your only caveat, don't let it stop you. The 453 is just too much fun. :) It's annoying, yes...but all in all, it's an issue I can live with. I mean, it does give the illusion that it costs less to fill than it actually does. :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.