User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 11-10-2007, 05:19 PM
SCOA Club

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Average Destination Charges?

Tax is easy to calculate, registration, and the various accessories I'm interested in too. What other charges and how much (ruffly), should I be aware of that will alter the bottom line?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 11-11-2007, 07:07 AM
SCOA Club

bump

so out of curiousity i'm scanning the web to see what amounts are charged for destination charges on vehicals... seems the dollar amounts are over $500, gee I'd hate to see a destination charge of $1000 or higher (would $2000 be too high?)

(for some odd reason I was hoping to see something around $200 +/- ha!)

Last edited by ifishcat; 11-11-2007 at 07:09 AM.
#3 (permalink) Old 11-11-2007, 07:08 AM
SCOA Club

Our northern neighbors are being hit with $1295.00 :eek:
#4 (permalink) Old 11-11-2007, 07:26 AM
SCOA Club

That's absurd, considering the fact that they are able to place two and a half vehicles in the place of one larger vehicle on the trailer. If anything it should cost less than the average vehicle.
#5 (permalink) Old 11-11-2007, 08:01 AM
Closed

I'd look to see what the charge is for the smallest M-B in your local area. They are landed in the U.S. in the same place - Dundalk (Baltimore), MD.
#6 (permalink) Old 11-11-2007, 08:08 AM
Senior Smartie
SCOA Club

So we East Coasters should be paying alot less destination charges then.
Yeah, on a car hauler that holds maybe 10 cars of normal size there would be at least 20 Smarts so the charge really shouldn't be too bad. Let's hope that open end doesn't become a ripoff.
#7 (permalink) Old 11-11-2007, 08:21 AM
Closed

I don't know how many hold-down locations a standard car trailer has, and if they can increase the number. Maybe all it takes is more lashing gear.

Another thing that has been in the back of my mind, and in consideration of specific vehicles going to specific dealers (rather than just a slug of lot stock), is the possiblity of all smarts going to Michigan to a smart controlled marshalling and distribution center, where they can be forwarded to the proper dealer. Somewhere in the dark of time I recall a statement that all smarts would be initially titled in Michigan.
#8 (permalink) Old 11-11-2007, 08:52 AM
Smart A**
SCOA Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishrdnc View Post
I don't know how many hold-down locations a standard car trailer has, and if they can increase the number. Maybe all it takes is more lashing gear.

Another thing that has been in the back of my mind, and in consideration of specific vehicles going to specific dealers (rather than just a slug of lot stock), is the possiblity of all smarts going to Michigan to a smart controlled marshalling and distribution center, where they can be forwarded to the proper dealer. Somewhere in the dark of time I recall a statement that all smarts would be initially titled in Michigan.
Cars aren't titled until they are sold to the first retail customer (that's what dealer plates are all about), otherwise whoever titles them will be subject to sales tax. A second sales tax would then be charged when the title is transferred to the first retail owner.
#9 (permalink) Old 11-11-2007, 09:12 AM

Destination charge is the amount the automaker charges the dealer to deliver a new vehicle from the factory. This charge can vary among automakers as well as among different vehicles. In most cases the destination charge for a given vehicle is the same to any point in the United States, whether the car has to travel across town to a dealer in Detroit, or across the continent to a dealer in Los Angeles. Since it is a fixed, unavoidable cost to a dealer, destination charges seldom can be negotiated.
#10 (permalink) Old 11-11-2007, 11:22 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
We should have a better idea on what changes will be come late December or January. As of last month, my dealer didn't know - but I plan to find out and share once I do.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Smart Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode