Smart Car of America Forum banner

Brake pads for 453

8K views 32 replies 13 participants last post by  mike700 
#1 ·
Has anyone found ceramic brake pads for the 453? After 1,000 miles the front wheels on my Prime are covered with brake dust, just like my 2013 Pure was. After changing to ceramic pads from Rock Auto problem was solved. We need reduced dust pads for the 453.

#6 ·
#10 ·
Remember, this is a low-volume, niche vehicle that hasn't been out very long. Wasn't much available for the 451 the first couple of years either... Shoot, it's only been within the last year that a decent selection of common replacement parts have become available through the aftermarket. 2 years ago, you still had to go to the dealer for wheel bearings & shocks & struts...

Most owners don't have enough miles on them to even consider changing brake pads...

#19 ·
Yea... that's what started to happen to my '09 Brabus ForTwo's front rims after a little while.... which prompted me to say hell with it and bought a set of Kleen Wheels. Essentially just a very thin metal shield that goes against the back of the spokes of the wheel to sit between the wheel and brake disc/caliper to stop brake dust from flying to the pretty side of the wheel. Only downside to those, though, is that they tend to make the rim look weird if you were to remove the Kleen Wheel at some point.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.