8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 46 (permalink) Old 03-24-2016, 10:36 AM Thread Starter
SCOA Club

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Buying a used electric smart

This is a "heads up" for anyone in the market for a used electric smart. It concerns the "Battery Assurance Plus" plan that may be active on the used vehicle. If it is, then the new owner will have to pay an $80/month fee to Mercedes (as long as they own the car) to keep the plan active and if you don't things can get nasty. I just got done calling several dealers all over the country that were selling a used smart EV and not one of them could tell me whether their car had the plan or even understood what it was. What I have concluded is that generally if you see a used smart 2014 or 15 for less than about $12 k then it has an active battery plan and you will have to pay $80/month or buy the battery, which could be on the order of $5000. Of course you might find a desperate owner or dealer who will make you a very good deal, and that is what you should look for. I don't claim to be an expert on all of this and if anything I've said is wrong I'd like a reply but right now I think there are a lot of folks who may be buying something that they don't understand because the dealer is either dumb or dishonest.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 46 (permalink) Old 03-24-2016, 11:03 AM
SCOA Club

Thanked 2,261 Times in 1,302 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 841 Post(s)
MOST smart affiliated M-B dealers are aware of the BAP program and the fact that it must be continued upon sale of the sled.

Few dealers and even fewer auction houses are aware of the program which is where you OR the previous owner can get into trouble. It behooves the previous owner to contact MBFS to advise of the sale and ownership transfer especially as it relates to the BAP commitment as this could become impactful to your credit score?

That being said, with the ED VIN # in hand it is best for a potential buyer to call M-B Battery Assurance @ 866-700-9853 OR MBUSA at 800-367-6372 to identify if the battery is owned (sled+battery pack) or under the BAP program?

This can be THE Slippery Slope in the purchase of a pre-owned ED . . .

Note, this can also be the underlying cause of some of the weird pricing we are seeing on pre-owned ED's? Obviously the value of a fully owned vehicle (sled+battery) should be higher than a sled only (+monthly BAP)?

Doubt that the various pre-owned pricing guides have this unique variable cooked into their processes?

Last edited by MB DNA; 03-24-2016 at 11:24 AM.
post #3 of 46 (permalink) Old 03-24-2016, 11:24 AM Thread Starter
SCOA Club

Yes, I agree with all of what you say, however I would suggest that you call the Battery Assurance Plus number, not MBUSA, to find out if there is a battery plan active on a given VIN-MBUSA can't help. BTW, they couldn't (or wouldn't) tell me the consequences of not paying the monthly fee but I have heard theat MB can remotely disable the battery or flag the VIN to make it difficult to sell the car or get warranty work done. You can be sure that if MB owns the battery (on the plan) they will not let you steal it.
post #4 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-01-2016, 04:33 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
At 20 bucks per week to rent the battery I don't see the savings in going electric.
post #5 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-01-2016, 05:02 AM
SCOA Club

Thanked 2,261 Times in 1,302 Posts
Quoted: 841 Post(s)
Own/lease the ED complete or only the "sled" while receiving a $5,000 cost basis credit for the battery pack?

BAP program extends the battery pack warranty while prepayng for the annual pack maintenance, it's simply a choice.
post #6 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-01-2016, 06:42 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
I think of it as insurance: pay a little every month so you don't have to pay a lot when (not if) the battery wears out.
post #7 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-01-2016, 07:23 AM Thread Starter
SCOA Club

Reply to door2416:
I don't either, unless you drive an awful lot. I have a suspicion that the battery will last longer than five years so Mercedes is making money on the plan. If it lasted ten years, which is an estimate that I have heard, then if you buy the battery rather than rent it you are paying ten dollars a week and that starts to sound attractive to me.
Reply to SuperSmartie:
I think insurance is for very expensive events that are not likely to happen . In this case it's certain that the battery will have to be replaced and as time goes on we will get a good idea of when it will happen. At the moment that seems to be between five and ten years. Based on the cost that Mercedes has come up with for the plan I am betting it's closer to ten than to five. The lowest cost choice it seems to me is to plan for it to be replaced at a certain time, like ten years, and save for the expense.

Last edited by rocketjon; 04-01-2016 at 07:40 AM. Reason: add information
post #8 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-01-2016, 08:24 AM
Is this thing on?
SCOA Club

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
This impacts me, as I take delivery of my used 2013 in a few days. Here's what I know from calling MB:
My car had BAP
MBFS sold the car at auction, the rep doesn't know if the buyer paid for the battery in full or agreed to continue the leasing program
I'm on hold to find out who at MB I have to talk to regarding this.

The lease ran for 28 months, so the residual on the battery is $3841. What no one knows is if I can pay that to own this pack out right, or if you have to pay the full $5010. The BAP Admin says that the dealer had to make a choice before they bought the car, so I'm waiting on a call back from the dealership to discover if they continued the BAP program and didn't advertise it (which I'll demand a partial refund), or if they bought out the battery and factored that into the price (best case scenario).

According to MB the $80/mo is based on a 120-month (10-year) lease. They expect the packs to be good for 10-years, and if at any time it fails you get a new one. The $5010 discount on the purchase price is apparently all they're concerned with? It doesn't make a ton of sense to me.

This isn't the stress I wanted after having forked over the money for the car.
post #9 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-01-2016, 09:19 AM Thread Starter
SCOA Club

From these numbers it seems that with the BAP a person is paying as much for the insurance as he is for the battery. Without the BAP you would be ahead if the battery lasts longer than five years, which seems very likely. I see the BAP as a huge money maker for MB but one that could kill the electric smart. Seems like they need to cut the price of the BAP in half.
post #10 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-01-2016, 09:26 AM Thread Starter
SCOA Club

And the news just out about another EV:
VW e-Golf battery may shut down, but secondary systems such as airbags and steering will stay on

Volkswagen will recall some 5,561 examples of the e-Golf from the 2015 and 2016 model years; the entirety that have sold to date since the model was launched in November 2014. The EV hatch may brick itself if the battery management software treats a brief surge in the electrical current as a critical condition and shuts down the battery, which then deactivates the drive motor itself.

Read more: Volkswagen eGolf EV electric car stalling recall
Imagine that happening on the freeway in heavy, fast traffic!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Smart Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode