Smart Car of America Forum banner

Clearcoat peeling

110K views 286 replies 106 participants last post by  Klpres 
#1 ·
Anybody have problems with the clearcoat peeling on their smart? I've got a 2009 red smart, solid color, and a 2008 red smart, painted, and the '09's clearcoat is peeling. I use the same soap & wax on each but only the '09 is peeling. The '09 has the red plastic, the '08 is red painted over a black plastic panel. Could the fact that the clearcoat was applied to the plastic, not paint be the cause?

#12 · (Edited)
Clear coat peeling, '09 Rally Red:

There is a member of the Inland Empire smarties that has an 09 rally red Passion. The rear center panel has the clear coat lifting. My wife has an 09 rally red and there is no evidence of the clear coat peeling off. As mentioned in some of the other posts, this is probably a batch problem where the clear coat wasn't applied correctly. Try calling smartUSA & ask them to open a case or look into the matter. If they get enough complaints, they might decide to replace the damaged panels, if the clear coat peeling was caused by a manufacturing defect.

#14 ·
There is a member of the Inland Empire smarties that has an 09 rally red. The rear center panel has the clear coat lifting. My wife has an 09 rally red and there is no evidence of the clear coat peeling off. As mentioned in some of the other posts, this is probably a batch problem where the clear coat wasn't applied correctly. Try called smartUSA & ask them to open a case of look into the matter. If they get enough complaints, they might look into the matter and replace the damaged panels.
Then you woke up, right ? :p

#15 ·
We just noticed on our 09 red passion the clear coat is coming off badly on the rear panel and on spots on the hood and doors... Worse when it has been washed...how do you find the build information? Love our smart and my husband has become the smart "salesman" people have followed him to work asking about the car then showing days later with one.... Don't really want people seeing this as its a turn off.

#23 ·
clear coat mess...

:(
'09 Rally Red smart: clear coat started detaching from color infused panels on back and front of car. Small bubbles then started lifting, edges peeled all during winter 2013. Now it's spring and the entire front hood panel could be peeled off. It's a mess, unsightly and not covered by any recall/warranty by smart per the dealer here in Hampton Roads, VA. Add me to the list....

#28 ·
I have two 09 smarts. One is a cabrio and the other is a passion. The cabrio has a dime size peel on the hood. It has 15000 fewer miles than its sister. Also back tailgate on the upper part where it meets the convertible top is all white along the whole edge (1/4 inch wide). I though the color was molded in? Any way, I am going to eventually swap panels and make the hardtop blue (has black interior) and put those panels on the cabrio(it has a red interior). My wife wants blue anyway. Whats the going rate on a set of blue panels?

#29 ·
I have a 2009 red with peeling clear coat. I am currently discussing this with MB customer service, and while I must say they have been very polite, no results yet. The most recent info from them was that the clearcoat was put on these by an independent contractor hired by the dealer, and they would be the one responsible. I believe this is incorrect. Anyone have further knowledge of this?