#1 (permalink) Old 04-26-2014, 07:25 AM
Mad about smarts and Cats
SCOA Club

Thanked 1,930 Times in 1,126 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Curt Hitch on a Brabus?

I installed a Curt receiver hitch on my Brabus yesterday. The instructions exclude the Brabus as an exception to compatibility. This may apply to turbo Brabus models, not the U.S. versions without them. They don't say.
The only reason that I can see for excluding a North American Brabus (which is basically a passion with window dressing and a center outlet exhaust) is that the hitch ball extension might become heated from the exhaust exiting the twin pipes and possibly pose a burn hazard.
If I find that the bike rack I plan to use (Swagman) is heated from the exhaust, I might wrap the upright with a.c. pipe insulation and wrap the outside of it with black duct tape to protect the closed cell foam from the exhaust.
To complete the project I will have to come up with some form of bracing from the towbolt holes adapter bolts that I have already acquired, to prevent sway and provide relief support to take some of the strain off the hitch.
A tip of the hat and Kudos to JKJAHobbs for sharing the knowledge regarding an alternate way of installation that does NOT include grinding out large holes in the frame thru which to insert bolts and large washers per the included instructions. Grinding such a large hole is not an easy task, times two.
Simply removing the 3 inner bumper attaching screws on each side allows the bumper to be slid far enough side to side to uncover the open end of the frame. It is then very easy to fish the bolt and anti-rotation washer or spacer into place with the supplied fish wire.
When fishing the bolts thru, it is only necessary to thread the bolt into the fish wire a few turns or it will not want to unscrew from the fishwire. Thankfully they supply two fishwires.
Access to the bumper screws is much easier if you remove the rear wheels.
Also, on the Brabus rear skirt the two screws that are normally exposed on the rear skirts of pures and passions are covered by a snap in matching plastic cover. The tabs that snap in are accessible underneath so that the plastic shiny finish is not damaged from prying.
One hole still must be drilled but it is only a half inch hole instead of the one inch hole with additional widening by grinding that I just did not want to do to the frame of my car.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 04-26-2014, 09:10 AM
OTD3 lifetime Member
SCOA Club

Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
You folks with hitches on your Brabus models will have to get used to having your balls roasted!

At the last Dells gathering, someone with a center exhaust had a spare tire mounted in front (or behind, as the case may be) of the outlet and the tire was burned and blistered pretty bad by the exhaust stream. I'm not sure your A/C insulation and black tape will suffice. But, YMMV.

Maybe some muffler wrap?
The Following User Says Thank You to jsenka For This Useful Post:
BB Benz (05-01-2014)
#3 (permalink) Old 04-26-2014, 10:57 AM
SCOA Club

Thanked 1,426 Times in 865 Posts
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Garage
Removing the inner bumper bolts worked for me! made the whole thing much easier to install on my Pure!!
#4 (permalink) Old 05-13-2014, 06:46 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BB Benz View Post
I installed a Curt receiver hitch on my Brabus yesterday. The instructions exclude the Brabus as an exception to compatibility. This may apply to turbo Brabus models, not the U.S. versions without them. They don't say.
The only reason that I can see for excluding a North American Brabus (which is basically a passion with window dressing and a center outlet exhaust) is that the hitch ball extension might become heated from the exhaust exiting the twin pipes and possibly pose a burn hazard.
If I find that the bike rack I plan to use (Swagman) is heated from the exhaust, I might wrap the upright with a.c. pipe insulation and wrap the outside of it with black duct tape to protect the closed cell foam from the exhaust.
To complete the project I will have to come up with some form of bracing from the towbolt holes adapter bolts that I have already acquired, to prevent sway and provide relief support to take some of the strain off the hitch.
A tip of the hat and Kudos to JKJAHobbs for sharing the knowledge regarding an alternate way of installation that does NOT include grinding out large holes in the frame thru which to insert bolts and large washers per the included instructions. Grinding such a large hole is not an easy task, times two.
Simply removing the 3 inner bumper attaching screws on each side allows the bumper to be slid far enough side to side to uncover the open end of the frame. It is then very easy to fish the bolt and anti-rotation washer or spacer into place with the supplied fish wire.
When fishing the bolts thru, it is only necessary to thread the bolt into the fish wire a few turns or it will not want to unscrew from the fishwire. Thankfully they supply two fishwires.
Access to the bumper screws is much easier if you remove the rear wheels.
Also, on the Brabus rear skirt the two screws that are normally exposed on the rear skirts of pures and passions are covered by a snap in matching plastic cover. The tabs that snap in are accessible underneath so that the plastic shiny finish is not damaged from prying.
One hole still must be drilled but it is only a half inch hole instead of the one inch hole with additional widening by grinding that I just did not want to do to the frame of my car.
what year was your Brabus? I have a 2013 and called Curt and they said it would not fit. My exhaust is a little to the right side of center looking from the rear and points a little down.
thanks,
blaise
#5 (permalink) Old 05-13-2014, 09:02 PM
Mad about smarts and Cats
SCOA Club

Thanked 1,930 Times in 1,126 Posts
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Mine is an 09.
The only difference that I know of is the muffler with the center outlet exhaust. The US 451 is basically a passion with the center outlet exhaust and everything else is decor.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Smart Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode