User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-09-2011, 01:41 PM Thread Starter
SCOA Club

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Diesel smarts

Does anyone know where I can find out what states will allow diesel smart cars or if that is even possible?
Love diesel cars... Thx!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-09-2011, 03:04 PM
68K miles of smiles
SCOA Club

Thanked 2,289 Times in 1,418 Posts
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmvolz View Post
Does anyone know where I can find out what states will allow diesel smart cars or if that is even possible?
Love diesel cars... Thx!
NO diesels in U.S.
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-09-2011, 03:18 PM
Known As Miss Mercedes <3
SCOA Club

Thanked 1,921 Times in 1,294 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Garage
You can import a CDi (previous generation 450) from Canada or Mexico but that's about it.
post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-09-2011, 03:26 PM

Thanked 1,496 Times in 999 Posts
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neonspinnazz View Post
You can import a CDi (previous generation 450) from Canada or Mexico but that's about it.
and even then it's a bit by hook or crook, since it is not legal per the federal regulations... ever. Once it's in the country some states are more lenient than others and some have found it possible to register in the states, but the car is technically always liable for seizure (they probably won't, but it's a possibility).
You'd have to decide if it's worth the risk...
The Following User Says Thank You to kennyrayandersen For This Useful Post:
Ken Boothe (11-09-2011)
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-09-2011, 07:03 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Well, from previous posts on this and the Canadian Forum there are 26 known CDI's registered int he US. These numbers come from trutworthy sources... and they are also members of this and the Canadian board. There are LARGE BUNCH of CDI's in Canada including this one which is currently in the US. (its mine but I am a snowbird and it is registered in Canada) My point being, it is possible and it is being done.

Last edited by radar231; 11-09-2011 at 07:38 PM.
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-09-2011, 09:16 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by radar231 View Post
Well, from previous posts on this and the Canadian Forum there are 26 known CDI's registered int he US. These numbers come from trutworthy sources... and they are also members of this and the Canadian board. There are LARGE BUNCH of CDI's in Canada including this one which is currently in the US. (its mine but I am a snowbird and it is registered in Canada) My point being, it is possible and it is being done.
There could be a 100 registered and it still wouldn't make them legal. The CDI was THE smart sold in Canadia -- during which time we had SOME that were legally imported (VERY expensive process). Just because we treat Canadia like they were states, it turns out thats a WHOLE different country up there! What they allow to be imported is WAY different that what the US allows (bummer too, they got some better and more friendly regs up there).

No one has gone through the official EPA and DOT process to get a diesel in, and it would be a tough go. You don't have to believe me, do just a little research. There are LOTS of sites about importing a car from abroad -- I've actually done it myself, so I pretty much know what I'm talking about on this one (not bragging, just saying). Go to the EPA, DOT, or better yet the Customs website and start reading. There is NO legal way of doing it now. Heck, you could be the first -- I'll piggyback my Diesel after you get your approved! Got DEEP pockets?
post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-10-2011, 08:07 AM

Garage
BTW, if a person actually has a residence in Canada, or Mexico, you can drive it in the US (for up to a year), after which the car has to go away. If you are a snowbird, then it would probably work out OK. But, you can't legally be a US resident and register the car in the US. Unless you go through an authorized importer (no one doing that now as I understand, and no one EVER did the diesel). The fully-legal route would be horribly expensive.
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-10-2011, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyrayandersen View Post
BTW, if a person actually has a residence in Canada, or Mexico, you can drive it in the US (for up to a year), after which the car has to go away. If you are a snowbird, then it would probably work out OK. But, you can't legally be a US resident and register the car in the US. Unless you go through an authorized importer (no one doing that now as I understand, and no one EVER did the diesel). The fully-legal route would be horribly expensive.
I have no doubt you are correct but how are the diesels that are registered there getting registered there. We saw a US registered diesel in Vegas last year. Can't remember the state but it seems to me it was from the east.
post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-10-2011, 08:52 AM

Garage
Well, it works like this. Someone for Canadia, or South Texas (Mexico) drives the car into the US, and hands it off to someone who lives in an 'easy' state that allows the car to be registered. They aren't supposed to do that, but it happens sometimes. Now, you are supposed to provide the DMV papers from the DOT and EPA that say either the car complies with US regulations (same as model sold in states), or the car has been brought into compliance by a registered importer, or the car is 25 years old or older. Some states evidently are a bit slack on that. Tx requests all of those documents when a car is first registered in the country (for instance), but if you have a title from another state they will accept that in lieu of the import paperwork. So...

I brought in a car from the UK (1963 FIAT 500), and a person from customs actually went out to verify the car was older than 25 years. Had it not been I would have gotten an order to either destroy the car or ship it back out of the country. I heard that was a bit unusual, so I don't know if they are cracking down or what, but it's a real risk that you could get it seized if it is shipped in but isn't in compliance (or can't be brought into compliance).

So, even if you manage to find a state that will let you register it (and you may), it will not meet the federal law that governs ALL cars that are driven in the country. I'm not saying it WOULD happen, but if they wanted to they could seize the car. If I had a diesel car (and I want one), personally I would definitely keep it on the down-low.

It's not a political form, so it would be inapropreiate to talk about how stupid that is, so I won't
The Following User Says Thank You to kennyrayandersen For This Useful Post:
Ken Boothe (11-10-2011)
post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-10-2011, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyrayandersen View Post
Well, it works like this. Someone for Canadia, or South Texas (Mexico) drives the car into the US, and hands it off to someone who lives in an 'easy' state that allows the car to be registered. They aren't supposed to do that, but it happens sometimes. Now, you are supposed to provide the DMV papers from the DOT and EPA that say either the car complies with US regulations (same as model sold in states), or the car has been brought into compliance by a registered importer, or the car is 25 years old or older. Some states evidently are a bit slack on that. Tx requests all of those documents when a car is first registered in the country (for instance), but if you have a title from another state they will accept that in lieu of the import paperwork. So...

I brought in a car from the UK (1963 FIAT 500), and a person from customs actually went out to verify the car was older than 25 years. Had it not been I would have gotten an order to either destroy the car or ship it back out of the country. I heard that was a bit unusual, so I don't know if they are cracking down or what, but it's a real risk that you could get it seized if it is shipped in but isn't in compliance (or can't be brought into compliance).

So, even if you manage to find a state that will let you register it (and you may), it will not meet the federal law that governs ALL cars that are driven in the country. I'm not saying it WOULD happen, but if they wanted to they could seize the car. If I had a diesel car (and I want one), personally I would definitely keep it on the down-low.

It's not a political form, so it would be inapropreiate to talk about how stupid that is, so I won't
Excellent reply and explanation. Thank you.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Smart Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode