• 5 Post By Munster

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 07:18 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Garage
First long trip

The wife and I took our Smart Car on our first long trip. Put on 450 miles. Overall I was pretty happy with it. Noticed that the wind really pushes you around other than that pretty good trip.We have only had the car for about 2 months.Had no problem going highway speed (75 mph), rides pretty good for being so small. Munster
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 08:02 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Very early on in our Roadster ownership we took it on a 420 mile day trip, about 40% was freeway standard. Rode pretty well, the high 6th gear made the freeway part relaxed. Enough punch to overtake trucks on the single size roads. Only mild drama was being diverted along a dirt road as a bridge had been washed out in a flash flood, lack of ground clearance a bit of a handicap but it coped at a slow pace.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 08:19 PM

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
First long trip

I love my smart for road trips. I've owned mine for 14 months and put almost 21,000 miles on mine.

I noticed that wider wheels/tires take down some of that wind blown feeling. I have the wider style package wheels and just went with 175/55 front and 195/50 rear and it seems to have calmed it down a bit. Still there, but not as bad as before.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 09:20 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Despite what some people say. Smart cars do really well at the higher speeds (70MPH+) the one downside is having the engine run at a higher speed for a long time can burn out the small engine faster so I keep the throttle no more then 33-40% and no faster then 70mph(the max speed in Calforina is 70mph and that's on freeways anyways). Helps keep my smart happy after all!
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 10:03 PM

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaChar View Post
Despite what some people say. Smart cars do really well at the higher speeds (70MPH+) the one downside is having the engine run at a higher speed for a long time can burn out the small engine faster so I keep the throttle no more then 33-40% and no faster then 70mph(the max speed in Calforina is 70mph and that's on freeways anyways). Helps keep my smart happy after all!

My smart seems to be happy at 77.7MPH on hwy 99. At times it will run 80+ depending on how late I am for work. Seems to make no difference on engine temps whether I'm going 70 or 80.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Smart Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode