2Likes
  • 2 Post By otbiker

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-05-2017, 01:14 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Footwell Lighting

I have read the several posts about adding footwell lighting. I'm a bit scared to drop down SAM to connect on at 11-9. Is there an easier location to connect to the gray/blue wire that controls the negative side of the dome light? Has anyone successfully fished a wire down from the dome light? Any tips?

TIA

Marty in Kerrville
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-05-2017, 06:36 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
It shouldn't be difficult. Pop the visors off, and remove the plastic trim. DO NOT unplug the airbag light connector. If you do and turn the key, you'll get airbag fault. Take either of the column trim plastic off. Wire your footwell light in parallel with the dome light and run the wire down the column and mount where you want it. Good idea. I might have to do this too.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-06-2017, 07:54 PM
King of Smart Gadgetry
SCOA Club

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 244 Post(s)
Garage
It's not a problem to leave the passenger air bag light unplugged. I drove Max for a couple of weeks with the visor assembly completely out of the car when I replaced my roof. Just don't disconnect any of the seat wiring or seat belt buckles or air bags and you'll be fine. DCO
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-07-2017, 06:53 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
DreamCar,

I stand corrected. I made the statement based on an experience I had with a Nissan. Thanks for the correction!
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-10-2017, 11:03 AM Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DONE! Remove the dome light. There are 3 wires. The center pin is 12v, left pin is ground, right pin is controlled ground from SAM. You'll use the center and right pin. On the passenger side, loosen the visor screws and the two screws holding the trim. Fish the new wire from the windshield towards the dome light opening. Tuck the wire along the windshield till you reach the A pillar. Pop the trim loose at the seam on the A pillar and crossover to the door seal. Tuck the wire under the door seal and you're at the passenger kick panel. The rest is yours. I used a 10 LED light blue strip centered under the power point. That leaves about 4" of lighting on each side of the "console" and lights the footwell.
MikeB1 and DreamCarOwner like this.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-15-2017, 10:29 PM
King of Smart Gadgetry
SCOA Club

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 244 Post(s)
Garage
I have been running 19 T10 LED's from my dome light (plus 9 SMD leds) from the dome light for about a year and a half with no problem from the SAM. Current draw isn't high at all. DCO

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Smart Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode