User Tag List

301Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 133 (permalink) Old 02-13-2017, 04:47 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Gas smart to be dropped in U.S. at end of 2017

Just read a news post from USA Today indicating the gas version would be discontinued after this model year but the electric version will continue?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 133 (permalink) Old 02-13-2017, 04:50 PM
DrKillerBee
SCOA Club

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Garage
Must be based on the HUGE sales figures of the Electric Drive here in the states.
jwight and amosd70 like this.
post #3 of 133 (permalink) Old 02-13-2017, 05:24 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Garage
Last year for gas powered Smarts

Here ya go folks. Get them while you can.
I just can't see large market share buying a very limited use car that takes 15 hours to go 200 miles, because it only has a MAX 72 mile range before recharging for HOURS. Link is Smart Forums Reply to Topic line
Smart Car Forums - Reply to Topic
REUTERS 13/02/2017
FRANKFURT (Reuters) – Daimler <DAIGn.DE> will stop selling cars under the Smart brand with combustion engines to focus on electric cars, Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung reported, citing a letter that Mercedes-Benz USA sent to dealerships. Dietmar Exler, head of Mercedes-Benz USA, said in his letter that the sale of Smart cars with combustion engines would stop in September, the paper reported in its Tuesday edition. It added that the carmaker would sell battery-powered versions of its Fortwo and Fortwo convertible models. Daimler was not immediately available for comment. Mercedes-Benz USA sold 6,211 Smart cars last year, compared with global sales of Smart branded vehicles of 144,479. Daimler’s group deliveries, including its premium Mercedes brand, stood at 2.1 million in 2016.

post #4 of 133 (permalink) Old 02-13-2017, 05:39 PM
Is this thing on?
SCOA Club

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
2.5 hours to full on 220, so a typical dinner engagement. I've been living with the 451 electric for a year, and even at 4 hours it never really leaves me stranded. Most people who would actually buy this car as a second commuter are more interested in an electric than the high upkeep gasoline model. $1.73 for 70 miles of use, $150 a year in maintenance. That's it. I can easily see why they're doing this.

The big markets where these car sell already have strong charging infrastructure and it's only going to increase with the VW settlement.

I've said for a long time the gas version never made sense. That said, I may have to consider pulling the trigger on a manual convertible if this is true. The manual makes the anemic 3-cyl functional.
robjla likes this.
post #5 of 133 (permalink) Old 02-13-2017, 07:07 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcfoxie View Post
2.5 hours to full on 220, so a typical dinner engagement. I've been living with the 451 electric for a year, and even at 4 hours it never really leaves me stranded. Most people who would actually buy this car as a second commuter are more interested in an electric than the high upkeep gasoline model. $1.73 for 70 miles of use, $150 a year in maintenance. That's it. I can easily see why they're doing this.

The big markets where these car sell already have strong charging infrastructure and it's only going to increase with the VW settlement.

I've said for a long time the gas version never made sense. That said, I may have to consider pulling the trigger on a manual convertible if this is true. The manual makes the anemic 3-cyl functional.
I was thinking of the following post
Quote:
Originally Posted by sokoloff View Post
Made the trip in Pea Pod to Cary, NC. Left about 6 AM and made it to the Cary dealership at 5 PM. Let's see - that's 160 miles in "only" eleven hours, an average of 15 mph.

First leg was 70 miles to Lumberton. My typical distance I can go on a charge is 70 miles, so I was a bit worried about being able to make that leg. However, I kept my speed at 40 to 45 mph the whole way which really helps to increase the range. Even after the 70 miles trip to Lumberton, I still had 19 miles left. Traffic was very light and any cars I was holding up were able to pass me pretty quickly, so I don't think I pissed too many people off. At least I got no fingers, gestures or angry comments from any other drivers that I noticed.

We stopped for 2.5 hours in Lumberton to recharge at the Nissan dealership.

Next leg was 35 miles to Fayetteville. We stopped there for two hours to recharge, eat lunch and kill time at the Transportation Museum.

Then an hour trip to Fuquay-Varina where my charge level was about 10% and my range was down to about 12 miles. I was pretty sure that making it to Cary was out of the picture, so I did a charge there for about an hour. I had made previous contact with a business there that had a charger just in case I needed it - glad I did.

Finally the last half hour to Cary, Made it to the dealership with about 20% charge left. So the car is getting the annual battery check today and they are looking at a warranty item or two. If any new parts are needed, they will likely have to order them and that will mean that the car will be there until early next week. They did give me a loaner, a 2015 gas Smart. First time I had ever driven the gasoline version. It got us home in three hours and handled very well at 75 to 80 mph. Got home about 9:30 last night and we both slept very well after that day.

Len
I like the option that if my smart Cabriolet is the only thing available to me I can drive it 170 - 400 miles or across the country and only waste 10 to 15 minutes each refueling stop.
Just last Veterans day I put the top down and went for a 350 mile ride through Death Valley. Impossible with a Electric Smart.

Last edited by Jo e Lefors; 02-13-2017 at 07:37 PM.
post #6 of 133 (permalink) Old 02-13-2017, 07:39 PM

Thanked 2,121 Times in 1,446 Posts
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwight View Post
Nothing to do with any hypothetical "import tax" IMHO. Daimler sees the future as electric cars and will be adding more models in the next few years, as will other brands. Not a good move for those of us that see the smart as more than an around town car, but Daimler is driving the train so if you want a gas 453 now's the time to order one.
Perhaps not Though I desperately need an explanation for it. And worse, from reading the original post, it's only a USA thing?

Speaking about the ED, I have some discoveries about the US model. More on that later!

Quote:

Yet, because I often drive 400 miles in a day and take frequent road trips, a smart ED would be simply irresponsible for me to own without a second petrol smart.

Also, drive a 453, they're far from anemic.
post #7 of 133 (permalink) Old 02-13-2017, 07:58 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 946 Post(s)
post #8 of 133 (permalink) Old 02-13-2017, 08:04 PM
SCOA Club

Thanked 2,267 Times in 1,306 Posts
Quoted: 870 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neonspinnazz View Post
Perhaps not Though I desperately need an explanation for it.
A couple lines from Reuters may sum it up . . .

"It is the latest sign of struggles for small cars in the United States.

Mercedes-Benz USA sold 6,211 Smart cars last year, down 16 percent over 2015, as U.S. gasoline prices have remained low."

And the elephant in the room as written by Automotive News - "Smart has 85 dealers in the U.S. It’s unclear whether that number will go down with the transition to electric only."

Obviously with limited range, the smart Center survival rate should be higher in the CARB states. Not sure that we will see many new Centers?
jwight likes this.
post #9 of 133 (permalink) Old 02-13-2017, 09:07 PM
Is this thing on?
SCOA Club

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MB DNA View Post
as U.S. gasoline prices have remained low.
True. But until they hit 88-cents a gallon....

Electric is still cheaper.
post #10 of 133 (permalink) Old 02-13-2017, 09:38 PM
Bohemian Moderator
SCOA Club

Thanked 5,472 Times in 3,263 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
True. But until they hit 88-cents a gallon....

Electric is still cheaper.
If you factor in the higher initial cost of the ED it takes awhile for the total cost to go below an ICE smart.
Neonspinnazz and OliverB like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Smart Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode