SCOA Club

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Help - clutch or transmission problem??

We are getting the following error codes:

U0073: control module communication bus off
U0103

The check engine light is on as well as the Triangle with ! point inside.
The car acts like either the clutch isn't engaging or it has a transmission problem. It jumps into gear, intermittently. It has also has acted like it wan't going to go into gear - refuse to move but the engine revved up.

Any ideas on what is going on and any quick, easy fixes would be appreciated. We are outside Kingman, AZ and needing to drive back to Oklahoma on Monday.

Is this problem going to strand us part way home?

Can someone put this under the right forum, Please
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 11-13-2010, 05:26 PM
banned

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I moved the thread to Gen discussion... I don't have the first idea what the solution is...
#3 (permalink) Old 11-13-2010, 07:05 PM
To the XCAPEPOD!
SCOA Club

Thanked 1,725 Times in 846 Posts
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Garage
We've seen other communication bus errors that were related to having something plugged into the power socket. Definitely pull anything plugged into that and see if it makes a difference. And, anything plugged into the OBD port could also be suspect.

Since everything communicates on that bus, including the transmission control module and ABS/ESP systems, something may be interfering with communication.

If that doesn't help, you could try disconnecting the battery for 15-20 minutes and let everything reset. You may have to reteach the transmission afterwards, but that's an easy 30 second procedure detailed in the manual and might not be a bad idea regardless given your description. I've done mine a few times when I even think it might be hesitating to engage a gear.

If you don't have any luck with these steps, it may be an electronics issue and a trip to the nearest smart center for a detailed diagnostic would be in order...

Last edited by rfernatt; 11-13-2010 at 07:14 PM.
#4 (permalink) Old 11-13-2010, 07:09 PM
SCOA Club

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Garage
You might be needing a new clutch motor, I would try to reset first.
#5 (permalink) Old 11-13-2010, 07:15 PM
OTD3 lifetime Member
SCOA Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfernatt View Post
We've seen other communication bus errors that were related to having something plugged into the power socket. Definitely pull anything plugged into that and see if it makes a difference. And, anything plugged into the OBD port could also be suspect.

If that doesn't help, you could try disconnecting the battery for 15-20 minutes and let everything reset. You may have to reteach the transmission afterwards, but that's an easy 30 second procedure detailed in the manual and might not be a bad idea regardless given your description. I've done mine a few times when I even think it might be hesitating to engage a gear.

If you don't have any luck with these steps, it may be an electronics issue and a trip to the nearest smart center for a detailed diagnostic would be in order...
Thank you for the suggestions. We've already done the unplug from the power socket and disconnecting the battery.

We will try the transmission reteach in the morning as well as disconnecting the battery again.
I'm hoping we can make it home before we have to visit a smart center.
#6 (permalink) Old 11-13-2010, 07:20 PM
To the XCAPEPOD!
SCOA Club

Thanked 1,725 Times in 846 Posts
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkjahobbs View Post
Thank you for the suggestions. We've already done the unplug from the power socket and disconnecting the battery.

We will try the transmission reteach in the morning as well as disconnecting the battery again.
I'm hoping we can make it home before we have to visit a smart center.
Do you happen to have a cruise control or any other modification that is tied into the car's systems? That could be something else to check/remove/bypass.

Also, here's a couple threads that have mentioned those codes and what it might be related to:

http://www.smartcarofamerica.com/for...al-codes-33508
http://www.smartcarofamerica.com/for...reciated-32014

Last edited by rfernatt; 11-13-2010 at 08:47 PM.
#7 (permalink) Old 11-14-2010, 11:06 PM
OTD3 lifetime Member
SCOA Club

Jim disconnected the Ultra Gauge, uninstalled the cruise control, nothing is plugged into the power port, disconnected the battery for over 20 minutes, tried to reteach the transmission, that didn't seem to happen.
Jim had one episode on a 40 mile test drive. We decided to only drive it in manual mode. We have now driven 225 miles without a problem. Hopelly we can go the 930 with no difficulties as well.

Thank you to all of you for your help and suggestions. They were helpful.

Jill
#8 (permalink) Old 11-15-2010, 07:44 AM
SCOA Club

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
JKJ. I wish you Good luck getting home. At least it's mostly down hill from Kingman. A2Jack.
#9 (permalink) Old 11-15-2010, 08:28 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Garage
I missed this one over the weekend. Keep us updated, and best of luck! Hopefully you'll be home maybe late tonight?? My mom lives in Mesa, and I think it's about a 16 hour drive from there to Fort Worth.
#10 (permalink) Old 11-16-2010, 08:51 AM
OTD3 lifetime Member
SCOA Club

Toolman: Thanks, Winslow, AZ to home was 18 hours but that included an hour stop at a museum and a 30 minute stop for dinner. So 16 hours driving and gas stops. Meadeview to home is 20 hours with only gas and potty stops.

Made it home with no further problems. We talked to Rachel at Smart Madness and she suggested that when the dealer did the software updates recently it may have flashed the cruise control and caused the communication and thus the transmission or clutch problem. She thinks it needs to go back to the manufacturer for ??reprogramming?? or something.
They are exchanging the cruise control for us. Thank you for the help Rachel.

We used the power port and then the ultragauge for the last part of the trip home and had no problems and no ESP triangle and the engine light did not come on.

Last edited by jkjahobbs; 11-16-2010 at 01:01 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Smart Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode