User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 05-19-2008, 12:07 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
How do SMART handle in the snow/ice

Hello all,

I live in Ithaca, NY which is quite hilly and of course quite snowy in the winter months. I was just wondering if any SMART owners live in a wintery climate and how their cars perform in wintery conditions. I'm not expecting to bash through 2 feet of snow but more looking for how they handle a snowy day or ice. I notice they are rear wheel drive and have always been hesitant of cars that are RWD in winter weather.

Last edited by Eztarget; 05-19-2008 at 12:22 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 05-19-2008, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eztarget View Post
Hello all,

I live in Ithaca, NY which is quite hilly and of course quite snowy in the winter months. I was just wondering if any SMART owners live in a wintery climate and how their cars perform in wintery conditions. I'm not expecting to blash through 2 feet of snow but more looking for how they handle a snowy day or ice. I notice they are rear wheel drive and have always been hesitant of cars that are RWD in winter weather.
Hi Ez. I live in Rochester, so I'm keeping my 4WD SUV when I get my smart (hopefully tomorrow). But it's good to point out that, even though it's rear-wheel drive, the engine is in the rear. So that's where all the weight is. The dealer in Buffalo told me they got to drive the heck out of the cars when they got theirs in January/February, and they did about as good as any car in the snow.

Of course, they're light, so getting traction will be an issue in real snow. I probably will drive it until December and then keep to my truck for a couple months. Yet another thing to hate about winter!
#3 (permalink) Old 05-19-2008, 12:29 PM

I am in MN.
Will I be able to whip sh*tties?
#4 (permalink) Old 05-19-2008, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broken Kid View Post
Hi Ez. I live in Rochester, so I'm keeping my 4WD SUV when I get my smart (hopefully tomorrow). But it's good to point out that, even though it's rear-wheel drive, the engine is in the rear. So that's where all the weight is. The dealer in Buffalo told me they got to drive the heck out of the cars when they got theirs in January/February, and they did about as good as any car in the snow.

Of course, they're light, so getting traction will be an issue in real snow. I probably will drive it until December and then keep to my truck for a couple months. Yet another thing to hate about winter!
Thanks BK. How long of a wait did you have for yours? I assume you bought it at the Buffalo dealer since there aren't many dealers in that area.

I have an old 1997 Jeep Wrangler I'd be replacing which I could just break out on BAD winter days I guess. And the beauty of it would be I could probably fit BOTH of them in one car garage bay back to back!
#5 (permalink) Old 05-19-2008, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Thanks BK. How long of a wait did you have for yours? I assume you bought it at the Buffalo dealer since there aren't many dealers in that area.

I have an old 1997 Jeep Wrangler I'd be replacing which I could just break out on BAD winter days I guess. And the beauty of it would be I could probably fit BOTH of them in one car garage bay back to back!
I ordered mine 5/29/07, and I'm picking it up 5/20/08 (yep, from the dealer in Buffalo)...so 356 days! Not bad...most people seem to be right around that year mark. At least, those of us not lucky enough to get an orphan. Still, I don't care...I want MY car, not someone else's. ;)

I think in upstate NY, you still need that winter car. I wouldn't feel too confident in any lightweight car in some of our snowstorms. Especially where you are, with all the hills! Still, I love Ithaca...it would be a fun and scenic trip in the smart!
#6 (permalink) Old 05-19-2008, 12:57 PM
Bohemian Moderator
SCOA Club

Thanked 4,729 Times in 2,747 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Garage
search, search, search.....

would have returned this:

451 in the snow!!
#7 (permalink) Old 05-19-2008, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwight View Post
would have returned this:
Yeah but then I wouldn't have met Broken Kid to talk about SMART in our area! ;)
#8 (permalink) Old 05-19-2008, 01:07 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwight View Post
While I understand your reasoning for recommending the "search" option, fact is, at this point, we've just about covered every topic imaginable regarding smartcars. In other words, if all you want is for people to "search past boards" you might as well CLOSE up to new ones!

I read those rehashed threads with almost the same interest I did the first time through. Different people provide different opinions.

For some people, old threads regarding a topic also, possibly, will provide OLD information regarding it. For this reason, when I have a question regarding my car, when I get it, it's likely I'll post a NEW thread regarding the issue if I"ve not seen activity on it for several weeks. The cars and ownership experience is still brand new and evolving. That being the case, it's not unreasonable for responses made two months ago to be different today.

So, I guess what I'm asking, suggestiing if, if you don't want new discussions for topics covered in the past, CLOSE UP THE VENUE! Otherwise, get used to people asking them over and over and over!
#9 (permalink) Old 05-19-2008, 01:18 PM
SCOA Club

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
EZ. Got ours in early Feb. We are keeping our Subie.

But, It's as good as any 2wdr light car in the snow. Reminds me of the old Corvair. A2Jack

Last edited by a2jack; 05-19-2008 at 01:25 PM.
#10 (permalink) Old 05-19-2008, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Yeah but then I wouldn't have met Broken Kid to talk about SMART in our area! ;)
That's right! I haven't found nearly enough upstate/Western New Yorkers posting! So head over to the regional area and chime in now and then.

Did you order one yet, or are you just thinking about it?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Smart Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode