User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 09-11-2007, 06:58 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
How long of a waiting list

Hey folks,

I'm officially in love with the smart fortwo and had a blast at the test drive. I just head that due to production limitations they will only be bringing 16000 units to the US on 2008, against some 45000 reservations. Is the importing expected to pick up in 2009? How long of a waiting list do you think this will translate into?

I'll be finishing college in december, and there are lots of jobs in my feild but I don't yet have one waiting for me just yet, so I'm sorta reluctant on putting in my $99. Should I just do it now because I'll be sitting on a waiting list for so long?

Finally, what do we know about a satellite radio addition. The guy at the demo tour said they would be offering Sirius (and one of the demo models actually had it) but it's not listed in the options on the smartusa site.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 09-11-2007, 08:31 PM
smart happens here!
SCOA Club

The answer to your question is anyone's guess. US Production totals for 2008 may have already been bumped up to 20,000 units.....whether it will (can?) go any higher in future years. I think the 45,000 reservation number is way high, it might be nearer 30,000 at this point. Suffice it to say, most believe the 2008 production run is spoken for. My guess is the reservation system won't stay open forever, especially after the dealers open next year, so I'd suggest to submit your $99 to get a jump on 2009. You can always get it back if someother route to a Smart comes available to you.

As far as the Sirius radio, perhaps that might be consider an accessory (there's a separate accessory catalog) and not listed in the short factory option list.
#3 (permalink) Old 11-13-2007, 08:07 AM

Another idea is to cuddle up with a couple of smart dealers. There will be fallout from the reserved cars and those will be available to the $mart ones.
#4 (permalink) Old 03-03-2008, 09:27 AM

Dealers are saying anywhere between 9 months and 1 year....

Sucks...

Flavio Zanetti
Boston, MA
#5 (permalink) Old 05-10-2008, 04:48 PM

I was just at the dealer this weekend and was told I could have my car in 16 months! Thats a long time to wait.
#6 (permalink) Old 05-10-2008, 05:12 PM
Admin/mod.
SCOA Club

Thanked 1,243 Times in 780 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Garage
But it'll be a custom made original... Priceless!
#7 (permalink) Old 05-10-2008, 06:29 PM
SCOA Club

You want XM; not Siruis

Quote:
Originally Posted by GliderDude View Post
Hey folks,

I'm officially in love with the smart fortwo and had a blast at the test drive. I just head that due to production limitations they will only be bringing 16000 units to the US on 2008, against some 45000 reservations. Is the importing expected to pick up in 2009? How long of a waiting list do you think this will translate into?

I'll be finishing college in december, and there are lots of jobs in my feild but I don't yet have one waiting for me just yet, so I'm sorta reluctant on putting in my $99. Should I just do it now because I'll be sitting on a waiting list for so long?

Finally, what do we know about a satellite radio addition. The guy at the demo tour said they would be offering Sirius (and one of the demo models actually had it) but it's not listed in the options on the smartusa site.

Thanks
I paid my local dealer install the Eclipse DVD/Nav head unit, speakers, amp, subwoofer. I ensured my dealer did not charge for Sirius and used the VTR auxillary input for XM installation instead. XM has much betetr sound quality than Sirius.
#8 (permalink) Old 05-10-2008, 08:35 PM

I would go ahead and reserve. The $99 is refundable (really easy to do- I called and got mine back within 2 weeks after I got my orphan, no hassle), so you can cancel it if your situation or your mind changes. With delivery date estimations at 12+ months (looking more like 18), it will be good to already be in line.
And if you decide you want your car sooner, get on some orphan lists at a few dealerships. I got a call the next day and had my car in a week.
Best of luck!
#9 (permalink) Old 05-11-2008, 06:55 AM

Wait time: <1 week

As noted in my first-ever post yesterday, I called my dealership two weeks ago and mentioned that I had no color preferences; any 'extra' car that came in, I'd take it. The lady at the dealership told me to put in my $99 reservation, and I did that around May 5 or 6th. Sure enough, a shipment arrived the next day, and there was a car left over (dealer overstock?). I snatched it up.

I'm now the proud owner of a Smart Passion, black-on-black with red seats. It's awesome.

If you're not overly concerned with color pref's, I'd go that route.
#10 (permalink) Old 05-11-2008, 07:04 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Garage
I hear its a 20 month wait now...

I am going to put a Sirius external Sportster in my Smart. I've seen posts on how easy the installation is here on the site.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Smart Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.smartcarofamerica.com/forums/f4/how-long-waiting-list-602/
Posted By For Type Date
How long is the waiting list for a smart car in the US? - Yahoo! Answers This thread Refback 10-29-2008 12:00 PM
How long is the waiting list for a smart car in the US? - Yahoo! Answers This thread Refback 08-31-2008 05:34 AM
How long is the waiting list for a smart car in the US? - Yahoo! Answers This thread Refback 08-11-2008 02:00 PM
How long is the waiting list for a smart car in the US? - Yahoo! Answers This thread Refback 08-10-2008 10:30 AM
How long is the waiting list for a smart car in the US? - Yahoo! Answers This thread Refback 08-10-2008 10:14 AM