Left windows open during the rain. - Smart Car Forums
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-08-2010, 09:31 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Left window down during the rain.

It's about a month now since I got my Smart. I didn't use my car this Sunday and it was raining like crazy. Going to work this morning only to find out I left my driver's side windows half way down. Seat is wet, door panel is wet and interior windows including roof is wet due to condensation. Argh! I had to put a comforter on the seat to drive it. Luckily no electronics have malfunctioned. All is well, windows, side view mirrors, door lock still work fine, even the gauge cluster. lol. Hopefully no mold would occur.

Anyone else had a similar experience? What did you do? Tips?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-08-2010, 09:38 AM
CT Chapter President
SCOA Club

Garage
My brother left his sunroof open during a storm. While all may appear fine, you should, when you get home, air everything out and use fans to dry everything. You don't want the moisture in the carpets to start mold. Make sure everything is dry and watch for the next week that nothing starts to act funny. If that is the case, then water seeped into where it shouldn't have. The TCM is under the driver's seat and hopefully the water won't creep into that box, but if you dry it out fast enough and things seem fine, you should be alright.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-08-2010, 09:44 AM Thread Starter

I'll have to do this when I get home. I'll roll down the windows and leave a fan blowing in the car. Thanks!
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-08-2010, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eNigma17 View Post
Anyone else had a similar experience? What did you do? Tips?
I jumped out of a VW Beetle one time in a huge downpour and slammed the door behind me. It was when I was working the grave shift. I came out about daylight to check on the rain and was really surprised to see my car's dome light on! Apparently the door had bounced off the seat belt or something and was wide open - and it was still pouring!
I went out and closed the door - noticed that the driver-side floor was full of water.
After my shift ended it had stopped raining. I took out a screwdriver and punched out a grommet on the floor next to the seat belt bolt and drained the floor out. Drove home, pulled the driver's seat out and trampted on some towels to help soak up the water in the carpet.
Then I put a 100w bulb in a drop light and left it in the car (in the garage) with the windows open at the top for the next 5 days. It pretty well dried out the seat and carpet - and the car was fine afterwards.

Tip - park in the garage, or don't leave the windows down!
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-08-2010, 09:48 AM
OTD3 lifetime Member
SCOA Club

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Leave your windows open part way for about a week, whenever it's not raining. That should help get it dried out all the way. Good Luck!
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-08-2010, 09:54 AM
Mad about smarts and Cats
SCOA Club

Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,151 Posts
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
I did not get my cabrio tail gate clicked shut twice on each side before a veritable Monsoon. The water was wicked into the foam backing of the carpet and made its' way all the way to the rt. front battery well, the low point of this car. It continued to rain for a week, so I took the carpets, seats out of the car to dry them in the house after using a wet vacuum for the longest time in the car. I simply could not get the moisture out completely. The car was brand new, and I was not going to risk having a moldy new car smell! I was successful. If you do take out the seats to remove the carpet, Disconnect the battery first for a good number of minutes to deactivate the air bag system. Reconnect all connectors under the seats before reconnecting the battery so as not to have an expensive resetting of the air bag system with a star computer. The shifter knob will also have to be removed which can be tricky unless you have seen the video on YOU Tube on how to do that. The collar rotates counter clockwise a quarter turn to release the shifter. Waterproof bandage tape by 3M sticks, is cushy and protective and easy to remove after gripping and protecting the plastic collar.
Good luck drying up. It is quite easy to inspect under the carpeting on the passenger side by pulling back the carpet as if accessing the tire inflation kit.
Rich
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-08-2010, 09:58 AM

off topic with a lite bulb
ive dried a "125 hp" electric motor with connecting a bulb in series with the windings.
and that was out back in the shed. actually the rear bldg, compressor area.

and dont leave a drop lite on the carpet, it will melt.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-08-2010, 10:34 AM

I would suggest going to a car wash and using their high powered vacuum on all the wet spots. Then take it home and let the fans do the rest.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-08-2010, 12:44 PM
SCOA Club

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Time to trade it in on a new 2011.
Of course I work at the dealership and always say "It's time to trade"?
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-08-2010, 01:21 PM
Cabrio season, at last!
SCOA Club

Thanked 1,507 Times in 898 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Garage
I went into my house with the cabrio top open once. I only expected to be away from the car for a couple minutes and it didn't seem rain was imminent.

A few minutes later I heard the sound of my alarm going off! (WTH?) It had started raining, the rain set off the alarm apparently. I closed the roof and towel dried the interior. It didn't get a thorough soaking, fortunately. The alarms saved the day!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Smart Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode