User Tag List

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-10-2017, 06:33 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Muffler to flex pipe connection broken

This is not my exhaust, just an image from google images that someone posted on these forums. My exhaust appears to be the same as the one here.

After 6 years, with only 40k miles I now have a broken connection between the muffler and the flex pipe. The broken connection is the area I circled. The short pipe that comes off the side of the muffler and bends around roughly 110 degrees, this pipe looks to be fully intact with its flange on the flex pipe side still fully intact. What seems to have happened is the weld gave way that connects the 110 degree angled pipe with the flex pipe. It looks like a very clean break so I thought a simple weld would be fine. The steel braiding around the pipe is still in great condition.

After taking it to Monro Muffler, the guy there said theres nothing he could do. He said that section cant be welded, he couldnt cut anything out and replace it, and even if he could do either of those he then said that there wasnt enough clearance to do it. Obviously our cars are quite unique, but the whole conversation led me to believe he just didnt want to do it, even after I told him the rear bumper panel could come off to make more room.

I'm about 45 minutes north of Pittsburgh and there is a Smart dealership in Pittsburgh, but we all know that I would get my wallet cleaned out if I went there.

I've heard there is an 8 year and some odd mile warranty on some parts of the emissions system, I just don't know if my situation is worth trying to get covered under warranty?

Flex pipes are less then $50 on ebay, but if Monro Muffler wouldnt fix it then who would? Should I just get a whole new exhaust and replace it myself or try to get a shop to do it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-10-2017, 08:02 PM
Super Moderator
SCOA Club

Thanked 1,768 Times in 1,162 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 593 Post(s)
Garage
The pipe and flex pipe are stainless steel which takes a bit of a specialty to weld. I replaced mine myself with a used pipe I got off of here from someone who upgraded to a different system. Maybe check with Smart Madness and see igf they have a used one.

The flex pipe can be replaced, but the old one has to be cut off and the new one needs to be welded in the correct location so the muffler will hang right. Any good muffler shop could do it but it might not be cheap. it ca be done without removing the rear panel, but I had a trailer hitch so I removed the panel, which wasn't difficult, and made the job easier.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 07:26 AM
OTD3 lifetime Member
SCOA Club

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Garage
The muffler is not considered to be part of the emission system. No warranty hope there. Sorry.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 01:52 PM Thread Starter

So what are my options here? Try another shop and see if they can repair it? Get a whole replacement exhaust and attempt a repair myself or hopefully a shop would be more willing to swap out the whole exhaust then trying a cut/weld repair? Take a chance with the Smart Dealership and hope that they can fix it relatively inexpensively?

The exhaust overall looks to be in good condition and I would hate to have to replace the entire system simply because one connection broke off.

Maybe whats best is call around and find a shop that specializes in European cars and has worked on alot of Smarts.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 02:09 PM
OTD3 lifetime Member
SCOA Club

Garage
A good muffler shop should be able to hook you up. As I recall, there is a thread on here where someone identified a source for the flex pipe, including proper dimensions, if you're inclined to do it yourself. Try a search and I'm sure you'll find it.
The dealership will only sell you a new exhaust (at list price). No such thing as inexpensive at the dealer.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 02:11 PM Thread Starter

I contacted a local Midas shop and my impression so far from them to get this fixed for not too much is alot better then it was with Monro. I'm going there tomorrow so hopefully I can convince them that a repair like this on a Smart is not impossible.
jsenka likes this.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 06:22 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Garage
Just as a side note, when you purchase a new one from Mercedes they now give you a two year warranty. Told me to hold on to the receipt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsenka View Post
The muffler is not considered to be part of the emission system. No warranty hope there. Sorry.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 06:49 PM
OTD3 lifetime Member
SCOA Club

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFadingTheory View Post
Just as a side note, when you purchase a new one from Mercedes they now give you a two year warranty. Told me to hold on to the receipt.
A new muffler normally would have a warranty, but the OP was inquiring about the muffler specifically being covered by the "Emission Equipment" warranty on the vehicle itself.

Last edited by jsenka; 04-12-2017 at 12:20 PM. Reason: Clarified comment
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 10:58 PM
Super Moderator
SCOA Club

Thanked 1,768 Times in 1,162 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 593 Post(s)
Garage
Most parts warranty is at best a 90 day thing so a 2 year warranty is quite good. Muffler places used to have a lifetime replacement but I don't think they do that any more

Flex pipe size is 1 3/4 x 8 and I believe it is available from Summit
The Following User Says Thank You to jimvw57 For This Useful Post:
jsenka (04-12-2017)
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-13-2017, 05:57 AM Thread Starter

Well its at Midas right now, so time will tell if they can fix it. The guy there said he had worked on Smarts before and seemed confident he could fix it, so thats a good sign.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Smart Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode