Smart Car of America Forum banner

NOT AGAIN: Dutch cyclists throw Smart cars in canals.

3K views 14 replies 12 participants last post by  HGB 
#1 ·
It’s better if there are no cars
Dutch cyclists throw Smart cars in canals
By Steve Milloy Monday, December 21, 2009

Bike-friendly Holland is having a hard time adjusting to the new government policy promoting electric/fuel efficient cars — dozens of Smart cars have been tossed into Amsterdam canals this year.

Dutch cyclist Govert de With told Climatewire that,

It’s better if there are no cars.”

Dutch cyclists throw Smart cars in canals

Dutch cyclists throw Smart cars in canals Green Hell Blog

Some of the comments in Green Hell Blog (second link) are weird.

Seems strange, why throw a car that gets a very good MPG (or KPL), has low emissions, and is one of the greener cars. What do they expect and is it better if the owner replaces it with an massive SUV?

Bob Diaz

#3 ·
Well, to begin with, it's a proven fact that this particular picture is photoshopped.

HOWEVER, IF, and I do say if, the "HOLES" as I call them (If you call people from Poland POLES, then people from Holland must be Holes!) are actually tipping these cars into the canals, they are EIKEL BIJTERS! (google that!!) BUT having lived there for quite a couple of years, I think it'd be hard to get the cars into the canals, since there are rails or "penis poles" along the canal edges.

#5 ·
(google that!!)
I just got a bunch of pages in Dutch. Google translate tools came up with "Acron Biters...." Hmmm I think I got it.

(google that!!) since there are rails or "penis poles" along the canal edges.
Not to mention plenty of boats parked along the canals that you'd have to clear. But I'd suspect anyone who put their mind to it could find a way.

geosynch

#4 ·
Seems strange, why throw a car that gets a very good MPG (or KPL), has low emissions, and is one of the greener cars. What do they expect and is it better if the owner replaces it with an massive SUV?
Apparently, you didn't notice the site is ANTI Environmentalism.
How Environmentalists Plan to Control Your Life and What You Can Do to Stop Them

#7 ·
The first link is the Canada Free Press news link, the second copies the story and has the anti-Environmentalism slant. While it had the anti-Environmentalism slant, I was a bit surprised by some of the weird comments...

prefectford Says:
December 23, 2009 at 1:31 pm

I wonder if this could become an olympic sport. Since these are death traps on wheels the owners are safer with them in the canales.

The advantage of owning a hummer is never having to deal with this. Hummer gooood

antigreennuke Says:
December 21, 2009 at 3:05 pm

Good thing that cars have mandatory license plates and VINs. So they can track down these evil car drivers and hand them the bill for pulling the car out of the canal…

Weird the hate that some people have for the car, IT'S JUST A CAR AND NO ONE IS FORCING ANYONE TO BUY IT!!! :bangwall: :bangwall: :bangwall:

Bob Diaz

#11 ·
Don't believe the hype!

I don't believe it is a problem. I go to Amsterdam a few times a year, and none of my Dutch friends know what I am talking about. They quote the one story a few years back about a smart ending up in a canal but haven't heard of any more smarts suffering the same fate.

If you ever go you will see a lot of stuff thrown into canals bikes, trash, people and sometimes cars. I have even seen a trash truck boat that is used to clean the canals.

And don't forget, we are talking about a city full of small cars, parked next to canals, with hundreds of drunk stoned tourists walking by all day and night. Never under estimate the stupidity of people on vacation. Temptation for idiots is everywhere.

If smart cars ending up in canals was such a big problem, you would see a lot more pictures than you do. We are living in a society of people who for the first time carry cameras everywhere.

And to Mr. Diaz, don't let some idiot who calls himself "perfectford" get under your skin.

Perfectford?

No such thing.

Definition of an oxymoron.

#12 ·

That smart is either very photoshopped or a) it is extremely big (almost the size of a barge) and b) it is front-engined (note the front being pulled down by gravity). It is my theory that the photoshopper has not done his homework or spent any time on SCOA! XD

#13 ·
What has happened to this world!? Its not their car, so why bother to waste your time trying to tip over a car? What if the owner had a Uzi in his pocket?! Messes aside, I think that they are dealing with the wrong car, they aren't thinking with their brains but with what everyone else is saying. Oh well, one day people will actually realize what they are doing and might stop. Estimate, about 2000 years from now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.