Smart Car of America Forum banner

Racing Fuel??

3K views 18 replies 14 participants last post by  ssppxyz 
#1 ·
Went to fill up at a nearby gas station ... they are now offering 102 octane racing fuel. "Babe" usually only enjoys 91/92 octane ... Would the racing fuel make things a little too hot for the internal workings??
Thanks in advance!
Karen

#3 ·
and the price per gal on the racing fuel???
here it is close to 7 bucks/gal.
there is one place that sells it close to my place; not worth the price and no difference in performance from what we have discussed previously. I am sure some of the technical-minded member will toss their 2 cents worth in.

#6 ·
With no experience with racing fuel, I take the advice of those who know and won't try it.

But, if you have access to Ethanol free gasoline you might want to pay a few cents more and give it a try! I don't know for sure but what it's my imagination, but I seem to notice a slight improvement in performance. And, I have demonstrated an improvement in MPG using Ethanol free.

#8 ·
#10 ·
The only real impact of using RACING FUEL in your 70 HP smart will be on your wallet but hey, go big and put some in your riding lawn mower too . . .

While not "go fast" fuel note to self and fellow OTD dragon slayers;

87, 89 & 93 Octane Chevron Ethanol-free gas can be purchased in Robbinsville at Skyway Convenience & Cafe, 1037 Tapoco Rd.

For other locations and states - Ethanol-free gas stations in the U.S. and Canada

#13 ·
All racing fuel is better at is knock resistance, which means you can run better ignition timings. However, the computer is calibrated for 91 octane... so you'll see no benefit at all from going to 102 octane, just because the computer won't bother trying the better ignition timings in the first place.

No gains whatsoever to be had on a stock smart. However, if you've got a turbo kit, that's a different story... :naughty:

#14 ·
All racing fuel is better at is knock resistance, which means you can run better ignition timings. However, the computer is calibrated for 91 octane... so you'll see no benefit at all from going to 102 octane, just because the computer won't bother trying the better ignition timings in the first place.

No gains whatsoever to be had on a stock smart. However, if you've got a turbo kit, that's a different story... :naughty:
Oh contrare DBQ,

Racing fuel has a slower burn rate and supplies a longer burn time per degrees of crankshaft rotation on the piston face, giving increased power...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.