User Tag List

11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-01-2017, 09:29 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Reasonable Price for Oil Change?

What would you guys say is a reasonable price for an oil change?
I'm unable to do it myself, because one, I have no idea how to and I'm not a car person at all, and two, I live in an apartment complex and we aren't allowed to work on our cars here.

I contacted Jiffy Lube, and they said they'd charge me $80 total.
I contacted Smart Madness, and they said around $150 total.
I'm guessing that the Smart Dealership in West Covina would be on the pricey side as well.

My local Jiffy Lube said they have quite a few Smarts that they do the oil for, do you think that would be my best bet? For those who don't change their oil themselves, how much do you typically pay in total for service and product? This is my first time getting an oil change with my car, since I work from home and don't put on as many miles as others.
Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-01-2017, 09:45 PM
SCOA Club

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Garage
If I were you, I wouldn't go to the least expensive location. Too easy for someone to strip the threads on the oil pan. Madness should be just fine if you do not want to go to the smart Center Service Dept.
sokoloff likes this.
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-01-2017, 09:49 PM
Known as "Z06-LITE"
SCOA Club

Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Garage
I do my own oil changes and the cost from the local auto parts store is about $55.00 for the products. The only oil I use is Mobile 1 0W40 and the Mobile M-108 filter. The Mobile 1 is synthetic as specified by smart.

I guess $80.00 is not too high if they supply the correct oil and filter. I have read some nightmare stories about taking a smart to the "quickie lube" places. Use your best judgement.
Smart Bob and sokoloff like this.

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-02-2017, 02:04 AM

Quoted: 309 Post(s)
From a dealer, not West Covina though because I was always advised the selling dealer will take care of you. West Covina did help me replace a CHMSL under warranty because water had gotten into it. Selling dealer replaced the radio/nav under warranty when that started acting up:

Service 1: $195.17
Service 2: $270.82
Service 3: $280.10
Service 4: $423.61

For a 451: At 65 Nm, the torque for the drain bolt is really high, relatively to the other cars in the household. I just changed the oil on a '12 E63 and it was 30 Nm drain bolt, 25 Nm oil filter. Torque spec for the smart oil filter is 14 Nm, again for the 451. That one is on the low side from personal experience. The drain bolt (451) is really big, which is probably why someone might over tighten it.

Car under warranty? I took the smart in to the dealer while it was under warranty, but that's just me....

Anyways, Walmart sells 5 Qts Mobil 1 0W-40 for $25.47 right now. (I'd use that in either car, personally.) Can't really tell whether you have a newer 453 or the older 451, but for a 451 the Bosch D3300 oil filter at Walmart is $13.25. (I think you can get a similar deal from AutoZone with a Mobil 1 filter if you pay a few dollars extra.) I use this to help me measure the amount:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/FloTool-M...l-7pc/16889147

Service literature says 3.4 L, Google gives equivalent 3.59274 Qts, about 3.6 Qts.

Free shipping, or pick up in a local store.

Mine just went out of warranty November of last year. I'm going to do the next service myself. Look in the Service Booklet to see what else is needed...

You could pre-measure the amount of oil so they don't overfill, and bring the oil and filter to a place. They would just charge labor. I've used Jiffy Lube in the past, a long time ago. They charge a lot for synthetic oil. Maybe $20 labor if you bring your own. So total would be about $59 plus tax, and you'd have 1.4 Qts left over for next time. You'd know they didn't over fill, which is part of the issue with Jiffy Lube, the service guy wants to give you your money's worth for the synthetic and tends to over fill. Just not sure how tight they'd tighten the bolt or filter...

Last edited by jzchen; 02-02-2017 at 03:04 AM.
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-02-2017, 02:16 AM

Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Garage
The last oil change done was by a Mercedes independent service shop for $99. They changed the oil and coolant (additional charge) plus reset the service reminder.
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-02-2017, 03:39 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Garage
$99 is what the Mercedes dealer charges us to change the oil on each of my four Mercedes, one of which is an SUV. I assume that when it's time for me to have the oil changed in the Fortwo it would be the same price, or less and that includes the free coffee, soda and fruit as I sit on a nice leather chair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenjb View Post
The last oil change done was by a Mercedes independent service shop for $99. They changed the oil and coolant (additional charge) plus reset the service reminder.
OliverB likes this.
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-02-2017, 05:50 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
My dealer has fresh donuts too!
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-02-2017, 08:54 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Try and learn how to do it yourself and you'll save a lot of money!
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-02-2017, 09:10 AM
SCOA Club

Thanked 1,187 Times in 595 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
You are asking the wrong question. The proper questions are: What additional checks are done during a oil and filter change service? What oil and filter is used and does it meet the oe specifications (that means approved by the oe, not recommended)?

European vehicle makers do not have oil change intervals, they have time/mileage based services.

Not everybody can or wishes to do the service themselves and the op explained why. The question then is, do you want the least qualified person, that being the owner who knows nothing about the process, working on the vehicle?
Smart Bob and Jo e Lefors like this.
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-02-2017, 02:16 PM

Quoted: 309 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustedwrench View Post
You are asking the wrong question. The proper questions are: What additional checks are done during a oil and filter change service? What oil and filter is used and does it meet the oe specifications (that means approved by the oe, not recommended)?

European vehicle makers do not have oil change intervals, they have time/mileage based services.

Not everybody can or wishes to do the service themselves and the op explained why. The question then is, do you want the least qualified person, that being the owner who knows nothing about the process, working on the vehicle?
At times the dealer overfilled mine. I know because I checked the level at home. (Yes, even at the prices I paid!). Some owner involvement is a good idea....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Smart Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode