17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 10:39 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Replace Rotors when Replacing Pads

Hi guys,

In the next couple days, I'm about to change the front pads on my 2009 Passion and with @jetfuel and @albertlastsmart recommendation, I have purchased the Brakebest C1252 Ceramic pads. Thanks again, guys! Now, I was given a number of a mechanic from a colleague and said this mechanic would give me a good price... and actually he gave me an excellent price. Now, I know that the rotors are in very good condition. My brakes don't grind or any of the familiar noises but I did asked this mechanic that there's a slight chance, the rotors may need resurfacing. He said that with Smart cars, it is best to replace the rotors altogether rather than have them resurfaced. I asked him why and he replied, on cars like the Smart, it's just better to replace the pads and rotors all at once.

Does this make any sense to any of you and also, if the rotors are actually in very good condition, is it even necessary to have them resurfaced? I've been getting mixed answers.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-11-2017, 03:33 AM
SCOA Club

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 294 Post(s)
If the pads are worn out, I would change the rotors as well.
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-11-2017, 04:17 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Wear limit is 8 mm. New is 9.7 mm.....

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-11-2017, 04:26 AM Thread Starter

@Huronlad I appreciate your response but you're not telling me anymore than the mechanic. Why would you change the rotors as well, if they are in great shape?

@jzchen Are you referring to the pads or rotors? Sorry, not well educated with mechanics. Thx.
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-11-2017, 04:28 AM

Rotors. The minimum thickness is 8 mm. So if you measure with a caliper and it is less than 8 mm you should change them. If they are thicker or at 8 mm then not necessary until next new pads you check again.
The Following User Says Thank You to jzchen For This Useful Post:
Smartiez (05-11-2017)
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-11-2017, 04:38 AM

Another pad option. I know from past experience that any issues with brake pads within warranty period from AutoZone you can bring them back and get a new set, just do not wear them down to the backing plate...

TRW Premium Pads Brake Pads TPC1252 - Read Reviews on TRW Premium Pads #TPC1252
Smartiez likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to jzchen For This Useful Post:
Smartiez (05-11-2017)
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-11-2017, 04:56 AM
Super Moderator
SCOA Club

Thanked 1,781 Times in 1,175 Posts
Quoted: 606 Post(s)
Garage
Sometimes the rotors will develop a warp from getting hot, then cooling or water from puddles, etc so when you put new pads in, they will give you a pulsating pedal when you hit the brakes. Not a problem or affect the working of the brakes, but it can be a bit annoying. That is why they 'turn the rotors' or take a layer off them, and to eliminate any hard spots on the rotors. Most of the time they are fine when you replace the pads (unless they are worn and grinding or squealing) The price on replacement rotors is very close to the price of having them 'turned' and if they are resurfaced below the min thickness, they would need to be replaced anyhow.

Just as easy to replace them. If you are doing them yourself and want to just replace the pads, I'd go for it. Ceramic pads will tend to do some resurfacing themselves so next time you put new pads in, they may be below the limit I usually replace rotors every other brake replacement.

Hope that helps.
Smartiez likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to jimvw57 For This Useful Post:
Smartiez (05-11-2017)
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-11-2017, 05:12 AM Thread Starter

@jzchen I appreciate the info on rotor mm thickness. As far as pads go, I already purchased the Brakebest C1252 Ceramic. A couple good gents on this site recommended them to me in another post but I will look into them next time the pads need replacing.

@jimvw57 Excellent advice. I won't be replacing the pads myself but I'm getting a sense of what I should be looking for. Yes, this does help quite a bit too.

Thank you both!
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-11-2017, 05:30 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Garage
Rotors get replaced when they are below the minimum spec or when they are warped or have obvious damage from being overheated. No need to change them with every pad change. As for turning the rotors, that is typically not recommended with Mercedes rotors because there just isn't enough meat on them to warrant that. Not sure if the Smart has the same recommendation, but I would think it does.

Len
2014 EV
The Following User Says Thank You to sokoloff For This Useful Post:
Smartiez (05-11-2017)
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-11-2017, 06:03 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Garage
Just to add something, in your case I don't think it's going to factor in but up here with salt on the roads rotors can rust out faster then they wear out. What I mean by this is on our winter beaters I can go through a set of rotors every year as the salt corrodes the rotors. Now there is something to consider here, I can buy cheap made in China rotors for our Saturns and these rust out a lot faster then slightly more premium 'coated' rotors. Granted you would suspect that as you drive you wear the coatings off so not sure about that logic though where the rotors tend to rot out is in other areas besides the surface.

So might depend on other factors plus the 'quality' of the rotors.

Up here I can pick up Brembo rotors and pads cheaper then autostore parts which somehow didn't make sense but what the heck it was a better deal then Wagner, we don't have Brakebest parts but just checked O'rielly (we don't have them here) and my Brembo's in Canadian $$ are $58.20 CDN. I bought two sets of pads and a set of rotors the other day and just put them in inventory for when I do need to do a brake job. I'll do it myself though as it is not complicated and I'm used to doing brakes on our other cars and trucks.
The Following User Says Thank You to Niteshooter For This Useful Post:
Smartiez (05-11-2017)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Smart Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode