#1 (permalink) Old 08-15-2013, 05:18 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Garage
A review of the 2014 (?) smart fortwo

I searched but didn't see this. A friend sent me a link to this review:

2014 Smart fortwo Reviews and Ratings - The Car Connection

I've been debating with the website over the statement they make about crash ratings being "far from top", when the IIHS still has us at the very TOP of the ratings. It turns out they are saying the complete lack of testing by the NHTSA and the highest ratings from the IIHS equal "far from top" ratings. I'm still not grasping that math.

Overall, I really don't find the review bad, I just take exception to such an erroneous statement, and what's this cr@p about not doing well over 50mph? I've been commuting 48 miles a day, every weekday, for 3 years, 2/3 of it on the highway doing 65-70mph.

Anyway, had to share. I wish they had a visible comment feature under each article, so the rest of the world would see our comments.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 08-15-2013, 06:03 AM
ETA? Nah, time to beat...
SCOA Club

Thanked 1,897 Times in 1,272 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Garage
Actually, the smart has been tested by both the IIHS and the NHTSA...

NHTSA - 2008-2010

Front driver: 4 Stars
Front passenger: 3 Stars
Rollover: 3 Stars
Side impact: 5 Stars

2011-2014

Front driver: Untested*
Front passenger: Untested*
Rollover: 3 Stars
Side impact: Untested*

*If "Untested", previous ratings will rollover.

Overall: 4 Stars

IIHS - 2008-2014

Front: GOOD
Side impact: GOOD
Roof: GOOD
Rear (seat headrests): ACCEPTABLE

Overall: GOOD

Not the top ratings, but close. The only thing keeping the fortwo from being an IIHS Top Safety Pick is the headrest.

What I found really erroneous is the author's claim that there are only 4 airbags...There are now 6-8 on US models (cabrios get 6, coupes 8).

As for highway driving, I normally exceed 85mph in my morning commute...nobody passes me...
The Following User Says Thank You to Neonspinnazz For This Useful Post:
em3706 (08-15-2013)
#3 (permalink) Old 08-15-2013, 06:25 AM
Bohemian Moderator
SCOA Club

Thanked 4,763 Times in 2,769 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Garage
How did they get a 2014 model to review?
#4 (permalink) Old 08-15-2013, 06:48 AM

Garage
Neon, thanks, I somehow missed the older ratings at NHTSA, could you drop a link in here, please? And did they sum it up to a 4, themselves?

Oh, and, slow down dude! :-)
#5 (permalink) Old 08-15-2013, 07:00 AM
Top back gotta go . . .
SCOA Club

Thanked 2,040 Times in 1,110 Posts
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
About the writer (not to be confused with reporter) who I am familiar with and would not categorize as a true "car guy" but rather someone who shares HIS rather bland opinion of cars.

Nothing going on here with this dump of misinformation ("but they aren't much good above 50 mph - far from top-of-the-heap--crash-test ratings," seriously?) as Mr. Voelcker is big on lobbing softballs and is incapable of throwing a hard ball for a strike . . .

John Voelcker

John is Senior Editor for High Gear Media.

In addition to news coverage and new car reviews, John creates and oversees all editorial for High Gear's green site GreenCarReports.com. John has covered advanced auto technologies and energy policy for various print, online, and radio outlets, including Wired, Popular Science, Tech Review, IEEE Spectrum, HybridCars.com, and Portfolio.com.

He is a regular guest on Fox Car Report Live, and provides occasional car commentary for National Public Radio shows and Sirius Satellite Radio. In 2011, he was elected to the Board of Directors of the International Motor Press Association. He is also part of the screening committee for World Green Car of the Year. Voelcker has driven plug-in cars from more than a dozen automakers, and alt-fuel vehicles from almost as many.

He has held editorial jobs at many magazines, including This Old House, Metropolis, Psychology Today, Exposure, Mother Earth News, Budget Living, and IEEE Spectrum.

John received a BS in Industrial Engineering from Stanford University and splits his time among the Catskill Mountains, New York City, and the San Francisco Bay Area.

He still has hopes of one day becoming an international man of mystery.

http://www.highgearmedia.com/user/10..._john-voelcker
#6 (permalink) Old 08-15-2013, 07:07 AM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toolman View Post
I searched but didn't see this. A friend sent me a link to this review:

2014 Smart fortwo Reviews and Ratings - The Car Connection

I've been debating with the website over the statement they make about crash ratings being "far from top", when the IIHS still has us at the very TOP of the ratings. It turns out they are saying the complete lack of testing by the NHTSA and the highest ratings from the IIHS equal "far from top" ratings. I'm still not grasping that math.

Overall, I really don't find the review bad, I just take exception to such an erroneous statement, and what's this cr@p about not doing well over 50mph? I've been commuting 48 miles a day, every weekday, for 3 years, 2/3 of it on the highway doing 65-70mph.

Anyway, had to share. I wish they had a visible comment feature under each article, so the rest of the world would see our comments.
What about this review...<:-((
2010 Smart fortwo Reviews and Ratings - The Car Connection
#7 (permalink) Old 08-15-2013, 07:16 AM
Top back gotta go . . .
SCOA Club

Thanked 2,040 Times in 1,110 Posts
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brabus007 View Post
Brabus007, good find.

Appears that as a "writer" John has mastered cut and paste?

Did he even get out of his chair to "test" the 2014 ICE model that no one else has seen?
#8 (permalink) Old 08-15-2013, 07:33 AM

Garage
It takes a lot of training for the drivers to learn when to lift on and off the accelerator to avoid jerky, slamming shifts?

There is his problem. It shifts better when you don't feather the accelerator at the shift point.

And he mentioned the "four" air bags. Isn't it eight? Another reason to believe he didn't do his homework.

How much do they pay these clowns to sit at a desk and write reviews for a car they haven't sat in? And are the hiring? I could sit and write crap reviews all day.
#9 (permalink) Old 08-15-2013, 07:55 AM

I think its pretty obvious to any one that owns a smart that this guy did not drive this car very much, if at all, before he wrote his review. Also, who else is tired of hearing about how a prius gets better gas mileage and has more room. No kidding its a hybrid four door car, oh yeah and its about 10k more than a smart.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to k5ken For This Useful Post:
BB Benz (08-15-2013), eloder (08-18-2013), em3706 (10-24-2013), justalittlesmart (08-15-2013), peterhemm (08-16-2013), SkippyThorson (08-21-2013), squatch (08-15-2013), stadleroux (10-28-2013)
#10 (permalink) Old 08-18-2013, 05:57 AM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
There are a lot of inaccuracies in that review.

The IIHS side crash tests use cars of all sizes/weights, not just similar weight vehicles. The smart aces that test, and I think that speaks volumes to its safety.

Also outdated on airbag information, actual mileage (most dealers have to worry about their actual mileage being the same as or worse than what's advertised) in the real world, and cost versus other vehicles it's compared to.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Smart Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode