Roadside assistance sucks!!!!!! - Smart Car Forums
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 03-05-2011, 05:06 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Roadside assistance sucks!!!!!!

Last night I went out to my car and it wouldn't shift out of park. After trying different things to no avail, I called roadside assistance. :eek: They immediately said it needed a tow to dealership and it would be about an hour. OKAY This was at 6. At 730 I get a call saying they couldnt get it towed for about 2 1/2 hours SO... why dont I just have them come out first thing in the morning around 7, cause after all the dealership isnt open at 10 at night, so.. okay... sounds reasonable. This morning at 645, car was scheduled to be picked up at 7, I get a call ... oh by the way they wont pick up your car until they talk to the dealership because its across state lines and there is some law... so do you just want to call the dealership and then get back to us. NO I WANT YOU TO SCHEDULE THE PICKUP!!!! WHY WASN T THIS TOLD TO ME LAST NIGHT OR WHEN I BOUGHT THE CAR OR SOMETHING!!!!!! Okay maam we will schedule pickup for 10 am. Anything else? YES a drivable car! So now I get on the phone to call the dealership and guess what they arent open on saturdays! AHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!! This is Fing ridiculous. I have owned chevys, fords, chryslers, kias, and they have all had roadside assistance that came out right away and fixed tthe car and /or taken it to the service center . They all had saturday hours. When I bought my smart I made sure the dealer had hours on saturday, but that dealer closed twow eeks after I bought my smart. And to top it off I cant drive my Ford because it is stuck in the garage in front of my unmoving smart. Sorry for the ranting but I just need to vent! Oh the dealer is smartof cherry hill, nj
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 03-05-2011, 05:24 AM
SCOA Club

I feel for you, and have been there. However, I have NEVER relied on any car manufacturer's "roadside assistance" - they don't specialize in it, they (generally) aren't good at it. I have had AAA for many years, and had to use it a number of times for various reasons. Even if they dealership is not open at the moment (had that happen once with the smart), the roll-back driver still picked up the car that evening, and delivered it to the dealership the next morning - I didn't have to worry about it. (Luckily, I was home at the time).

I strongly reccomend looking into AAA - beside roadside assistance, they offer a lot more - it pays for itself.

(this has been an unpaid, unsolicited endorsement!)
#3 (permalink) Old 03-05-2011, 05:45 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
things break, it happens...
get AAA
#4 (permalink) Old 03-05-2011, 07:25 AM
SCOA Club

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Garage
Yup, something I've always complained about (Cherry Hill not having Saturday hours).It is the reason I will not let them service my smart. Good luck with your smart.
#5 (permalink) Old 03-05-2011, 07:58 AM
Bohemian Moderator
SCOA Club

Thanked 4,819 Times in 2,789 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Garage
Maybe this will help: http://www.smartcarofamerica.com/for...ght=stuck+park

Worth a try today and maybe you can roll the smart out of the garage to get to the Ford.
#6 (permalink) Old 03-05-2011, 11:31 PM

I've used AAA on my 1993 Subaru Impreza which was a two hour wait for a tow when my starter went out.
I used Subaru roadside assistance on my 2002 Subaru Impreza for a flat tire change and that was also a two hour wait.
I used Honda roadside assistance on my 2002 Honda Accord when a screwdriver was caught in the throttle body causing the accelerator to stick down all the way (Get this . . . I overcame that issue by shifting to neutral and pulling off to the side of the road) That was a 2 hour wait as well.

Our 2002 Mercedes C230 needed roadside assistance twice. Both times for flat tires. Each time the wait was 20 minutes. I said asked the first guy why this was so much faster than other experiences I've had. "Uh yeah, this is Mercedes . . ." Okay then.

I'm still extremely disappointed that smart doesn't have the same unlimited roadside assistance plan that Mercedes has on all their vehicles.
#7 (permalink) Old 03-06-2011, 06:31 AM
SCOA Club

You're probably referring to Devon closing. Should take to Trevose, Devon's PA replacement dealer. No concern for across state lines.
#8 (permalink) Old 03-06-2011, 10:33 AM
SCOA Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by _dgw_ View Post
Our 2002 Mercedes C230 needed roadside assistance twice. Both times for flat tires. Each time the wait was 20 minutes. I said asked the first guy why this was so much faster than other experiences I've had. "Uh yeah, this is Mercedes . . ." Okay then.

I'm still extremely disappointed that smart doesn't have the same unlimited roadside assistance plan that Mercedes has on all their vehicles.

Three things: Proximity, priority, and cost.
Proximity, because if you are in the middle of nowhere, you will need to wait until a wrecker can actually drive the distance to you;
Priority: Most any roadside service worth talking about will start the conversation with "Are you someplace safe". If they don't, and you need immediate assistance because you are stuck in a busy intersection, you may just have to wait until they are done with the flat tire in the parking lot.
Cost: The smart is supposed to be an economy car. If you want premium services, you have to pay for them, either in a fee of some sort (like a subscription), or as a built-in on the price of your car. You pay the price for a Benz, there is enough over-head added into the cost to keep up those high-end dealerships and premium road-side service. You pay for a low-end car, do NOT expect people to fall all over themselves to help you out - there isn't any money in it, and most people are not that charitable.

With AAA, I have had long waits (couple of hours), I have also had relatively short waits (45 minutes or less). For $60 a year, I don't expect a mobile machine shop to follow me around, waiting for a breakdown. But for that service, I have had vehicles moved many miles, have had my daughter bailed out of a flat tire situation on a rush-hour highway, have gotten vacation planning assistance, get a 10% discount at every hotel I stay in - I ain't *****ing about an hour or so wait for that price...
#9 (permalink) Old 03-06-2011, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbryers View Post
Three things: Proximity, priority, and cost.
Proximity, because if you are in the middle of nowhere, you will need to wait until a wrecker can actually drive the distance to you;
Priority: Most any roadside service worth talking about will start the conversation with "Are you someplace safe". If they don't, and you need immediate assistance because you are stuck in a busy intersection, you may just have to wait until they are done with the flat tire in the parking lot.
Cost: The smart is supposed to be an economy car. If you want premium services, you have to pay for them, either in a fee of some sort (like a subscription), or as a built-in on the price of your car. You pay the price for a Benz, there is enough over-head added into the cost to keep up those high-end dealerships and premium road-side service. You pay for a low-end car, do NOT expect people to fall all over themselves to help you out - there isn't any money in it, and most people are not that charitable.

With AAA, I have had long waits (couple of hours), I have also had relatively short waits (45 minutes or less). For $60 a year, I don't expect a mobile machine shop to follow me around, waiting for a breakdown. But for that service, I have had vehicles moved many miles, have had my daughter bailed out of a flat tire situation on a rush-hour highway, have gotten vacation planning assistance, get a 10% discount at every hotel I stay in - I ain't *****ing about an hour or so wait for that price...
@gbryers - I get what you're saying here's the breakdown of our roadside assistance experiences

The first time with the '93 Impreza through AAA was in Round Lake, IL a populated Chicago suburb. 2 hour wait.

The second time with the '02 Impreza was through Subaru roadside assistance in Northbrook, IL another populated Chicago suburb. 2 hour wait.

The third time with the '02 Accord was through Honda roadside assistance in Deer Park, IL and a few miles from the Honda dealership in Barrington, IL (yet more Chicago Suburbs)

The fourth time was with the '02 c230 in 2009 in the middle of nothing Wisconsin (not quite Mercedes country) 20 minutes.

The fifth time was with the '02 c230 also in 2009 (bad luck with running over nails) in southern IL halfway between Chicago and Springfield. 20 minutes.

In every case the answer was "yes we're in a safe location"

Maybe the other ones were backed up because of how populated Chicago is while there's a lot more downtime for roadside assistance companies in less populated areas based on my personal experiences.
#10 (permalink) Old 03-06-2011, 11:42 AM
SCOA Club

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Garage
don't know what economy has to do with it. if smart offers a roadside service it should be a good roadside service

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Smart Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode