User Tag List

21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-28-2017, 07:07 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Smart cars and motorcycles

I am a relative newbie to this forum. I noticed that motorcycles are frequently mentioned in the posts on this forum. I've been riding motorcycles for many years. I find many similarities between Smart cars and motorcycles. Both are small and extremely maneuverable. Both are ignored or targeted by our fellow drivers. A three cylinder dual overhead cam high compression, four valves per cylinder engine develops adequate horsepower for either vehicle. The transmission and engine work together with a similar shifting pattern, especially when driving the Smart in manual mode. Service and maintenance procedures are similar, though I don't know any dedicated motorcycle rider who would ride 10000 miles between oil changes. Most of us are driving around without a spare tire. There are many other similarities but I think you get the point.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-28-2017, 09:10 PM
Super Moderator
SCOA Club

Thanked 1,769 Times in 1,163 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 594 Post(s)
Garage
A cage is a cage, but driving a smart is still awful fun.
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-29-2017, 07:00 AM

Quoted: 196 Post(s)
In past encounters I have found Bike riders are very interested in our smarts...
I told one biker at OTD a few years back when he asked "whats the best thing about the smart?' and I told him that "I won't get wet when riding in the rain and I when I come to a stop I don't have to put my feet down to prevent falling over." He gave me a big hand shake and said "enjoy the ride"...
valvestem likes this.

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-29-2017, 07:21 AM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by lockwriter View Post
I've been riding motorcycles for many years. I find many similarities between Smart cars and motorcycles. Both are small and extremely maneuverable. Both are ignored or targeted by our fellow drivers.
No kidding about being ignored by fellow drivers, I got broadsided on my MC pulling into the parking lot where I worked. I was lucky in that I had a crash bar installed so instead of pinning my ankle/leg against the motor it took the brunt of the impact which put the bike on it's side and me on my butt with a bruised elbow.

One nice thing about the smart, I don't need to wear leathers and a helmet on a hot day! Though it isn't quite the same (wind in your hair, bugs in your teeth) type of experience. I ride with an open face helmet though as I got older a windscreen became standard equipment.

Wound up with a smart cabriolet because I weighed the cost of a divorce vs the cost of a Night Train.... (wife said, do whatever you want which = you darn well better not)....
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-29-2017, 11:26 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Garage
Another similarity between my motorcycles and my smart car is that my smart now has only the side mirrors. I had to remove the windshield mounted rear view mirror because it blocked my view forward. I don't miss it a bit! My other rides are a Harley Heritage Softail and a Kawasaki Ninja.

PS I change my smart fortwo oil every 5K miles, and use a longer filter.
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-29-2017, 12:22 PM
Super Moderator
SCOA Club

Thanked 1,769 Times in 1,163 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 594 Post(s)
Garage
Sadly sold my 1984 Gold Wing Interstate just after picking up my 2008 Pure. There are times I miss that bike, and when it rains, I don't miss it much.

post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-29-2017, 04:52 PM Thread Starter

You must be 7 feet tall! I'm 6'-1" and never thought the mirror obstructed my view. Still I find it useless because the seats block the rear view. I somewhat solved this problem with a plastic Fresnel lens on the back hatch glass. Thanks for your input... I know I'm not alone. Ride safe...
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-29-2017, 04:55 PM Thread Starter

The only car that I have ever driven that even comes close to a motorcycle.
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-04-2017, 08:34 AM

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
you are correct about smart cars almost as much fun as a bike. i owned 28 bikes in 53 years of riding. was never in an accident in all those years but always worried about it now i feel safe with a literal cage around me and still having fun!
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-04-2017, 09:01 AM
SCOA Club

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lockwriter View Post
The only car that I have ever driven that even comes close to a motorcycle.
Ah for me it was my 72 Honda 600 coupe. I used to rally it.... flat out "seat of the pants" division, no instruments or timers. Late for every check point but a whole lot of FUN

Tags
motorcycles

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Smart Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode