Smart Car of America Forum banner

smart eBike coming to five US markets

6K views 33 replies 19 participants last post by  Mike T 
#1 ·
According to Mercedes/Smart reps at NAIAS, the Smart bicycle will initially be available in 5 markets (she said Los Angeles, Portland, New York, Miami, and “one midwestern market”) starting this spring.
The Midwestern location is apparently North Olmsted, OH according to smartusainsider.com. :)

Smart Bike Introduced at 2014 NAIAS | Sustainablog

#13 ·
The sad thing is that our purchasing power has diminished considerably. That's why all things German cost so much, never mind the arrogance shown when it comes to accessories.

Do you want a twin horn option, which plays such old favorites at a 110 decibels loudness, 'She'll be Comin Around The Mountain, When She Comes'? That'll be $495 extra.
How about a little baby seat type arrangement so you can carry your little pet weasel or Fido with you? That'll be $395 extra.
We have an extra warranty against theft, it'll only set you back $995.
For you only-- we are offering special smart biker's gloves designed in white and green with the smart logo. They can also be used for retrieving hot foods from your oven and they are specially priced at $295.
The only mandatory option will be the dealer prep and that's only $459, but we'll throw in the Polyglycoat sealer with a free follow up bottle.
You get the idea...

#19 ·
Cdr.'s Thoughts and teachings

e-bikes can be fun. During the Winter parts of the Blue Ridge Parkway are closed to cars. Barriers go down but you can park near them and walk or ride your bike along what would be a busy road. Many times, even 'though it's closed off, there's no snow or ice. You see all kinds of neat stuff you may miss from a car. Biking along some of those hills will set you back to 1mph or worse - you go backwards. On e-bikes, like the smart, you can dial in just enough power to help through some of the difficult stretches. You are still pedaling - but with an electrical assist.

#20 ·
Here is an interesting alternative to the smart bike, providing one already owns a regular bike. In the 2014 Popular Science is a brief article on electrifying any bike instantly. The device ways 9 lbs. peaks at 20 mph and costs $590.
It's made by a company called FLYKLY and it's called a Smart Wheel.

#23 ·
25 mph? I can easily pedal faster than that on my $130 mountain bike.

Shoot, the smart eBike does just short of that and it costs half the price of that Specialized monstrosity...

#24 ·
just change the wording from "car" to "e-bike"and re-read the 2007- early 2008 posts about the smart fortwo coming to the US.

same arguments. too limited. too expensive. too european.

not everyone needs or wants to go >25 mph. it's not marketed as a racing bike. there are a lot of bikes that cost more than your schwinn did when you were 12 years old.

#25 ·
You know, I have somewhat agree with that.

I just started researching electric bikes, and it turns out that the smart eBike is actually somewhat of a bargain! :eek:

#27 ·
US specs

From smartusainsider.com:

Here are the U.S. specs:

1. Range - 62 miles
2. Weight - 57.5 lbs
3. Charging Time - 4-5 hours (0-100%)
4. Max. Speed - 20 mph
5. Max. Torque - 7.9 lb.-ft.
6. Electric Motor - 350 watt
7. Battery - 423 Wh (lithium-ion)
8. Brakes - 7“ brake dics
9. Energy Recuperation - Yes
10. Gear Shift - 3-speed hub gear system
11. Voltage - 48V
12. Wheelbase - 43.3 inches/3.6 feet
13. Length - 68.3 inches/5.7 feet
14. Height - 39 inches/3.3 feet

:)

#29 ·
gosh - I didnt realize these weren't yet in the US. When I rode one a few times last summer (Canada) it was a blast! You pedal for about 5-7 feet and then the motors kick in. I was having a lot of fun circling around a parking lot.

Here's my thoughts - it's more electric scooter than bike. It would be more fair to compare it that way. Also, it is a well built 'bike' - if you see it up close you'll know what I mean... the disc brakes, tires, electronics are all higher quality and more comparable to a more moderate range of bike... this isn't a $150 bike with a motor. I like that it can be charged with USB. I like being able to interface the computer to my pc to track performance, etc.

I know its not the only e-bike available... what are the specs on competitors? Do they also have the 60mile range? Build Quality? I really think the smart ebike is priced to reflect that it is the best of all e-bikes out right now. Most of the other e-bikes I've seen look like toys or based off of 60 year old bike frames. The smart just looks cool regardless of price/features/etc.

The bottom line is that it's actually a very well built vehicle that is a lot of fun. The high quality mixed with very low production runs and rarity at this point push the price up (plus it's a bit of a status symbol). As more adopters purchase these, the technology will become more affordable and prices come down. Look at LCD tv's... would you have bought one 15 years ago for $15000?

By the way - I have a few of these in stock. If anyone is interested in a drive to Toronto, I can help you with both the grey/orange and white/green ones. Just let me know!

Cheers

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.