User Tag List

5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-11-2017, 08:54 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Smart Electric Drive radio whine low AM stations

The San Jose Smart Center "opened a case" for my 2014 Electric Drive(ED) which has what I call a severe "whine" in the lower number half of the radio AM section. Sitting at a traffic light electric drive not running no noise--step on accelerator with radio on station 610 and the second the motor starts the whining starts somewhat keyed to revs i.e. more noise as revs pick up! The Smart Center Tech said they were aware of the problem but neither they nor Smart Tech had a solution. My question? What are you going to do about it? Blank look on face! Followed by my noting my extensive high level contacts at MBNA as a past MB Dealer followed by them getting active and apologetic and opening a tech solution request case number. I would expect that I will hear something in a few weeks? My car is in warranty so no charge to me but if I were paying I would go to a good local car stereo install/repair shop and ask their advice? Sounds to me like it needs a noise suppressor installed between the radio antenna and the radio a common and inexpensive part and easy home or shop fix. THC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-11-2017, 10:09 PM

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Welcome to SCoA.

I will keep my mouth shut about that center. Still a little sore that they wasted a few drives there from Central Valley for me killing 2 days off.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-12-2017, 12:03 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johannesl View Post
Welcome to SCoA.

I will keep my mouth shut about that center. Still a little sore that they wasted a few drives there from Central Valley for me killing 2 days off.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
You did not get it fixed I assume? Hmmm not nice sorry to hear that! If you like I'll let you know when/IF I hear something on the fix? Tom

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-12-2017, 05:55 PM

Thanked 1,163 Times in 813 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
This reminds me of the old Steely Dan song FM. No static tonight. AM is so noisy.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-12-2017, 06:07 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Didn't someone say that the ED's radio static was caused by the noisemaker device?
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-12-2017, 06:22 PM
SCOA Club

Thanked 2,293 Times in 1,325 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
This can has been kicked down the road before back in 2016 and my smart Center remains hard of hearing? Matter of fact, all I got back from them was MORE STATIC . . .

Electric Drive - Cellular noise in radio

Oh, and I have NO NOISEMAKER?
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-13-2017, 12:15 PM Thread Starter

I think not by the sequence of the sound and the fact that it does not stop at higher speeds like 50mph for example whereas the "ped. warning noise maker(PWNM)" is
supposed to stop at 20mph? But I am going to try to disconnect it to see if it is the problem i.e. screw the pedestrians if it is the problem. I'll report back asap. touchyu2
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-13-2017, 01:54 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I would think that most electric cars are going to have some sort of AM radio interference. I have a Fiat 500e, and get plenty of motor whine on 560AM. I believe it is because I am located in San Jose, and 560AM is broadcast from San Francisco, a distance of about 50 miles. And yes, as I get closer to San Francisco, the whine diminishes. So the solution is to phone up KEAR (610AM) and tell them to up their signal power output. Seriously, this might be a case of spending hundreds of dollars to get rid of the whine, as installing filters everywhere may still be insufficient. Its not like you can put in resistor plugs and a noise suppressor on the distributor cap.
Things that might, MIGHT help.
0. Have an aftermarket or the Premium Audio radio installed.
1. Larger or different AM antenna.
2. Additional shielding around the power leads to the radio.
3. Additional shielding around the radio itself.
4. Additional shielding around the motor.
5. Tuning off frequency slightly, say 600 or 620.
6. Adjusting the Treble to absolute minimum.
7. Investigating if the radio station also broadcasts on the FM band. Some AM stations do. Or there is an FM station with equivalent programming.
8. If the radio is satellite capable, investigating if the local station relays through the satellite, or there is a satellite station with equivalent programming.
I understand your pain. In all of my cars, the lower AM band reception is just garbage.
stevenvillatoro likes this.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-13-2017, 03:25 PM Thread Starter

The "whining" sound at the low numbers on, only, the AM section of the radio receiver continues way past the supposed 20mph stopping of the Ped. Warn. Sound
and continues all the way to 75mph! I next disconnected the Pedestrian Warning Sound behind the headlight and then tested the car with the result NO CHANGE!!
So I conclude the Ped. Warn. Sound is not the guilty party unless there is something in the way it works that I don't understand? Always possible of course!! TC
stevenvillatoro likes this.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 05:42 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Electric motors produce electromagnetic interference. It's probably the whine from the drive motor or a harmonic. Older vehicles had the same issue from their alternators or ignition coils. It was so prevalent, Radio Shack had a device that could be added to the spark plug wires to/from the ignition coils to suppress the noise.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Smart Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode