49Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 04-26-2014, 10:11 AM
SCOA Club

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Uh-oh....(Elio)

Unsure about Elio Motors, Caddo officials talking with ...

I hope this does not come to pass.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 04-26-2014, 11:03 AM
SCOA Club

Thanked 2,054 Times in 1,121 Posts
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
So the 3-million square foot excess GM property is purchased by Caddo Parish at roughly $2.50 per square foot. Mr. Elio plans to sub-lease 1/3 of the 3-million square feet.

Not sure why you need 1-million square feet to assemble this elusive vehicle?

"they talked to Elio a few weeks ago and the head of the Phoenix, Ariz.-based start-up firm indicated advanced sales and efforts to raise capital were going well. But Elio did not say when activity at the plant would commence" - not seeing the seed money?

http://pdf.secdatabase.com/625/00009...-000073.pdfAll

This as he swims in government subsidies. But at the end of this Ponzi scheme, Paul and his real estate developer/partner Stuart Lichterup will have control of the old GM property!

Last edited by MB DNA; 04-26-2014 at 11:25 AM.
#3 (permalink) Old 04-26-2014, 11:28 AM

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Elio wants to build their own engine, and their own bodyshell. Depending on how many parts you want to build in-house, 1 million square feet for an automotive assembly plant gets used up in a hurry.

I am very skeptical of Elio's business model. It's hard to convince Americans to buy a normal small car, why would they buy something this oddball?
#4 (permalink) Old 04-26-2014, 12:48 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Garage
think of the HMV Freeway built in Burnsville MN... 1980-1981,82 600 units before giving up.

me wonders how this will fair in todays economy... nearly $7 grand for an enclosed three wheeler, (projected price) with a special built body,AND ENGINE...

who is putting these together at that price? Chinese kids?

BTW I own a Freeway.... and yes its a "collectible"... collects dust!

steveg
#5 (permalink) Old 04-26-2014, 07:45 PM

Thanked 1,496 Times in 999 Posts
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveg View Post
think of the HMV Freeway built in Burnsville MN... 1980-1981,82 600 units before giving up.

me wonders how this will fair in todays economy... nearly $7 grand for an enclosed three wheeler, (projected price) with a special built body,AND ENGINE...

who is putting these together at that price? Chinese kids?

BTW I own a Freeway.... and yes its a "collectible"... collects dust!

steveg
the comparison to the Freeway is fair, or perhaps the Corbin Sparrow, or even the Litestar. The reality is that there is a very limited number of people that will buy a 'unique' vehicle and the economy of scale is just not there. The cost of developing your own engine (which incidentally Corbin was doing for the follow-on Merlin). It's very expensive to make a limited-production vehicle -- unfortunately that's just the reality. Additionally they have it priced like a mass-produced motorcycle -- I still say it don't add up. I see lawyers in their future...
#6 (permalink) Old 04-26-2014, 09:44 PM

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Specifically ... bankruptcy lawyers!

There is another 3-wheeler in production in North America that is reasonably successful ... the Can-Am Spyder, and that has its own engine. BUT ... That vehicle has Bombardier behind it, and Bombardier is a huge and diverse company with vast engineering resources, and Rotax (the engine manufacturing company) is a division of Bombardier that already builds lots of engines under contract to other manufacturers. Canada may not have any cars that we can call our own, in terms of the nameplate's origin, but we do have Can-Am to call our own.

The Can-Am costs more than $7,000, though. A lot more. And some people are willing to pay it ... because they built some desirability into the vehicle. It's easier to sell a smaller number of vehicles with a premium price tag than it is to sell a large number of low-priced vehicles. Just ask Tesla. But you have to build something that people want to buy for this to work.

But in this case ... I foresee them selling a tiny number of low-priced vehicles ... followed by bankruptcy. Very few people will consider this to be a desirable vehicle. (I sure don't.)
#7 (permalink) Old 04-27-2014, 01:50 AM
SCOA Club

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Garage
If Elio actually produces 12 of these cars, I will be really shocked. It really doesn't even seem possible. The R&D into a working engine would eat a solid decade of profit at that price point, and demand.
#8 (permalink) Old 04-27-2014, 04:54 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
#9 (permalink) Old 04-27-2014, 06:42 AM
I, I, I shake it off!
SCOA Club

Thanked 1,908 Times in 1,283 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Garage
Now that's the smartest thing I've read about this saga. Direct sales and service carried out by authorised service centres. That means your Elio dealer may be hundreds of miles away, but you can get warranty work done at your local Pep Boys (example)...smart could learn a little something from that idea.

Ever since seeing Bob's pictures, I was wondering what Continental had going on inside the car. I like the idea the the entire infotainment system is dependent on your smartphone. No messy OE systems to deal with, just your already familiar smartphone.

Though, that begs the question: This car appeals to people who cannot afford your average car, want to save fuel, want to save the environment, and those who want something different.

I wonder how many in their target demographic actually has smartphones??

Still finding it hard to see where $6,800 is coming from. Even the Can Am costs much more money and it's effectively just a three wheeled motorcycle. And they had the engineering prowess of Bombardier to back them up.
#10 (permalink) Old 04-27-2014, 07:25 AM

Thanked 1,496 Times in 999 Posts
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Garage
[QUOTE=Neonspinnazz;848057
Still finding it hard to see where $6,800 is coming from. Even the Can Am costs much more money and it's effectively just a three wheeled motorcycle. And they had the engineering prowess of Bombardier to back them up.[/QUOTE]

Either the price will go up, meaning fewer will buy, or they will go down since they'd be losing money on every one.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Smart Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode