1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 12:24 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Valvoline Scratched My Car!

Hello,
Funny I'm making this post, because just a few months ago I made a post asking about oil change recommendations... Anyways!

Monday I took my 2013 Smart to go get a simple oil change at my local Valvoline. They had a Groupon deal going on, where I could get a $95 oil change, for $50. I was in the mood to save money and desperately needed an oil change, so I bought the Groupon and went in on Monday to get my oil changed.

Fast forward an hour later, and I'm back home, and I noticed THIS! Where is my back bumper cap and why do I have all these scratches on my car?! What the heck happened?! I have no idea. But I do know that it wasn't there before I left, because I wrote down my license plate number to renew my registration, and my OCD would have had sirens going off if it was there before.

I contacted Valvoline, showed proof, and demanded compensation to get it fixed. I'm currently waiting for a reply.

So two questions,
Does anyone have any theories as to why this happened and why the scratch is in the shape of a square, (like a tool was used or something?). Also, the inside is all scraped up too?

Also, does anyone know what it would cost to get this fixed? An estimate? The scratches are pretty deep, very noticeable, and I want it replaced. Would this require me to get a new bumper?

Just my luck, haha.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg unnamed-1.jpg (34.3 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg unnamed-2.jpg (102.6 KB, 43 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 02:26 AM
SCOA Club

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 294 Post(s)
A body shop should be able to repair and repaint the damaged section. Quick oil change places typically have the least skilled of employees. You may want to find a proper mechanic to take your car to in the future. Better yet learn to do the work yourself.

Picking up a used black rear center panel may be a cheaper option.

If you are still planning on wrapping your vehicle, a proper repair could wait as the wrap will hide the damage.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 04:56 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Garage
Looks like it got hit from behind. Must have been pretty hard to pop the cap. Fastest fix would be to replace the panel, perhaps a used one from a wrecker with the plug.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 05:06 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niteshooter View Post
Looks like it got hit from behind. Must have been pretty hard to pop the cap. Fastest fix would be to replace the panel, perhaps a used one from a wrecker with the plug.
Right?! Its looks like one of this metal squares on the back of cars. (The name is slipping my mind right now) But its just weird that it hit it dead center... And the ring around the center looks like someone was trying to pry something off. They replaced my oil and installed a new break light. They were in the back of my car for awhile trying to get a break light off to replace it.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 06:02 AM
Super Moderator
SCOA Club

Thanked 1,781 Times in 1,175 Posts
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 606 Post(s)
Garage
I had some success using leftover stuff from a headlight recondition that I did on another car to remove some really deep scratches on the bumper on my 2009 Pure. It was Black and the color on black is molded in. If the marks don't get into the base material, and are just in the clearcoat, they can probably just 'buff it out' and you could try that by just cleaning it real good and waxing it. That might be good enough, hard to tell from a picture. probably need to get the plug from the dealer but it shouldn't be too expensive.

Best way to fix it would be to replace the panel. Getting to it is a bit of work as the rear fenders and center bumper cover all come off as one piece, and then you need to seperate them once they are off the car.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 07:09 AM
Known as "Z06-LITE"
SCOA Club

Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Garage
Looks to be about the size of a two inch trailer hitch receiver. Kinda odd of how it would have scratched the side, though. Were you waiting in the customer area the entire time they were servicing the car?
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 07:44 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
could the square be the outline of the reinforcement behind the bumper cover? Maybe you got hit hard enough for that to project through the plastic!

I'd definitely have that checked out, the damage may be more than cosmetic.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 10:12 AM

Thanked 1,163 Times in 813 Posts
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Some one bumped you in the rear ended. Buy some Meguires scratch remove. See if that will take out of of the marring. Other wise turn it in your insurance company. Pay the deductible. For the bumper to be repainted. Someone hit me in the same area. At a smart event years ago.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 04:14 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1983JZR3W View Post
Looks to be about the size of a two inch trailer hitch receiver. Kinda odd of how it would have scratched the side, though. Were you waiting in the customer area the entire time they were servicing the car?
I was in my car the whole time, thats why I'm so confused. It wasn't there before I left, because I had to write down my license plate number so I was looking at the back of my car right before I left, and I would have noticed. I went straight to get an oil change, then right back home, and that's when I noticed it. They were in the back working on my car, and spent a good 20 minutes trying to figure out how to change my break light. The inner circle looks like someone was trying to pry something out, the way the the paint is scraped off. Would a trailer hitch be able to do that?
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 04:25 PM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Garage
50 dollar oil change for a smart?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Smart Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode