Smart Car of America Forum banner

What is the general thought about how long to keep your Smart

4K views 28 replies 16 participants last post by  DoraAnderson 
#1 ·
I have a friend who lives 3 hour to 4 hours away from any Smart Dealer. She has 2008 Smart and has had it for almost 1.5 years. So far so good... only tires .... a couple of times the check engine light that went off after she tightened the gas cap. She really has no one to turn to for help with the car, other than local repair shops which, knock on wood have been just the tires. I see a brake job coming on.... I would bet the 60,000 mile check up was never done as she bought it with 63,000 on it. So to stop my rambling.... she still owes a fair amount and really doesn't have the means to take it to a dealership... I've asked her to consider selling it as if something happens she will be in no position to get it fixed. She loves it and has really enjoys driving it... but... I really worry if anything goes wrong ... even a flat tire would put her in a bad situation....

THOUGHTS.... should I not worry???

#2 ·
You can spend your entire life worrying about what "could" happen, or just enjoy today. If she loves the car, and still owes on it, why get rid of it? If it was giving her problems, I could understand. But it sounds like the car is running fine. Don't give her unnecessary cause to doubt it. Or put her in a bad financial spot because of an unfounded worry.

In the next couple of weeks, I will pass 165K miles on my smart. It's been the most reliable car I have ever owned. I plan on putting at least another 50-60K on it before giving it to my son. It's never given me any reason to question its reliability. Oh, and I never did the 60K valve check either. Still runs like a top, and I still average 42-43 mpg...

Can't ask for more than that...:D

#5 ·
I like that idea... just having to go back and forth to the dealer for service if leased would be difficult. As long as it's running it's great... but once it breaks... or needs a dealer service... it's going to be a rough road... Good comments!!!

#19 ·
There is nothing mysterious about servicing a smart. Any professional European shop can do so if they wish. The salient point is, if she has no money it does not matter what car she has. People with no money do not seem to understand it costs money to own a car and it costs more money when the wheels turn. If one drives in constant fear of a breakdown one may as well sell the car and buy a bus pass.

#22 ·
I plan to keep mine until I get tired of it (not likely to happen) But if the new 453 version is just that much better that I just have to get one. At that time I'll see if Rockmama will let me keep the older smart (also not likely to happen).
As for repairs and " once it breaks... or needs a dealer service... it's going to be a rough road." I encountered that kind of problem 800 miles from home while in NC/ Tenn this summer and had NO issues getting the car repaired at the closet dealer (Knoxville smartcenter) which was over 65 miles form where we were staying.

#23 ·
I don't know why you would brag about NOT performing recommended maintenance on your own cars.

My parents never got the valves adjusted on their last car (2000 CRV). Turns out that engine has a tendency to burn valves if they're not adjusted by 120k. My parents made it to 130k, then the car lost a cylinder. They ended up with a $3000+ bill for an engine rebuild.

At least do a quick inspection of the clearance. If it turns out you don't need an adjustment, THEN you can brag. Otherwise, get it done and enjoy the improved mileage/performance.

--

To the OP:
I don't think it matters if a dealer is a nearby, as long as she can find a trustworthy mechanic. Check Yelp?

#24 ·
Why? Because IMHO, it's an unecessary check. A pure money maker for the dealership(and most of them refuse to do it). I don't brag about it, it's a statement of fact. I don't do it. I do other things to ensure the health of my engine. I don't follow the recommended oil change interval either. I do mine every 5K, plus treatments with Marvel mystery oil at least twice a year. Some say it's a waste, but I'm less than 500 miles from 165K. I must be doing something right...

If you feel the need to go to the dealer and plop down $600+ to have them check your valve clearance, then by all means, go ahead if it makes you feel better.

And it's not a "quick inspection" either. If you've read the proceedure, it's at least a 4-6 hour job to check valve clearance on a smart. Requiring at the very minimum, that you lower the engine cradle a few inches to get the valve cover off. I like turning wrenches, but that's a bit much, even for me...

#25 ·
Well, our 08 is right at 60k miles, and has been a very solid vehicle.
I enjoy driving it, my wife LOVES it..............and it can do 90% of the things that we use a vehicle for now. Yes.....we have a company pickup truck that I use for work, and the occasional hauling task.

That being said, I am at the mileage that a valve inspection is scheduled. I find it a little odd, that some have related their " success" with running their smart without the valve inspection, to things like changing their oil, and running fuel system cleaner.

In reality, it's actually pure luck that nothing "bad" has happened. ( I need to bring you to Vegas, next trip........help me out on the blackjack tables. :) )

If we do a little research on why valve clearances change over time, you will see that it is purely a run-time roll of the dice. Some valves clearances will close up, and most will be fine.

Be that as it may, some engines tend to need more attention to their valve clearences ( Japanese air cooled motorcycles, almost always need some adjustment), and some seem to have little movement ( the smart, modern liquid cooled mortorcycle engines...ETC). The smart motor may have little chance of having valve clearance closures, but there is a chance that it may still have a valve that settles in more than the others.

To claim that doing basic maintenance more than scheduled- is the reason that " all is well" ,is misleading - in my book.

The real question is: "Do you feel lucky?"

My 2 cents. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.