3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 11:13 AM

Thanked 2,130 Times in 1,452 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Garage
The lines in my 451 sometimes get cold enough to make it come out as a "slurry", but a second of clearing the lines fixes that. With the 453, the actual fluid itself appears to be freezing.

Maybe MB put a higher temp fluid in the 453s as opposed to the 451? It smells the same as the original 451 fluid, but apparently seems to have a different freezing point.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 12:02 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Just a guess... but is it possible that the factory filled the reservoirs with the equivalent of RV antifreeze? While this stuff does turn slushy or freeze at low temperatures, it does not expand in the process as water does, and consequently break things.

RV antifreeze is also known as propylene glycol. It is a food additive and when heated produces the fake smoke used in fog machines and in some vaping liquids.

~toaster
Neonspinnazz likes this.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 12:43 PM

Quoted: 315 Post(s)
The Mercedes Winter Fit stuff is supposed to be mixed with water. I wonder if the dealers actually use it, and if so at the right concentration/proportion. It is expensive. Researching ingredients I look up MSDS sheets. I could only find it for Winter Fit in another country's Mercedes site, I think a country with .Au. It is a more complex solution than others I've looked up. If you have sprayers to the headlights I guess you could use it to help protect them from getting damaged, for example UV fading/opaque. (You know what I mean I hope. Wait, I think I'm still in the 451 side. Not a concern for a 451 as I know. No clue whether the 453 has sprayers to the headlights.)

Sent from my MT2L03 using Tapatalk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Smart Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode