User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 05-05-2008, 01:50 PM
SCOA Club

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
California Octane Question

To all Fellow Smart Owners - Do any California gas stations carry 93 Octane Premium gas? So, far all I've seen is 91 Octane Premium being sold, so I'm assuming that California's emission laws limit high octane to 91. If anyone has been able to find 93 Octane, which company carries the higher Octane? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 05-05-2008, 02:02 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by factor9 View Post
To all Fellow Smart Owners - Do any California gas stations carry 93 Octane Premium gas? So, far all I've seen is 91 Octane Premium being sold, so I'm assuming that California's emission laws limit high octane to 91. If anyone has been able to find 93 Octane, which company carries the higher Octane? Thanks!
Nope, no 93 octane in California that I know of.

California's "emission laws" don't limit high octane at all. You can buy 100 octane racin' fuel at Union 76 gas stations throughout the state. It's blue, it smells neat after running through your engine, and loooooves to eat up catalytic converters.

Your pal
Meat.
#3 (permalink) Old 05-05-2008, 03:02 PM
SCOA Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmeat View Post
Nope, no 93 octane in California that I know of.

California's "emission laws" don't limit high octane at all. You can buy 100 octane racin' fuel at Union 76 gas stations throughout the state. It's blue, it smells neat after running through your engine, and loooooves to eat up catalytic converters.

Your pal
Meat.
Thanks, Meat! I'm surprised you can't find 93 octane, but I still love California and my smart car! Hey, I'm still getting over 49 mpg. in mostly stop and go traffic, so I really can't complain! And, I'm hoping at my DTH exhaust will help with my mileage even further! 100 octane...hmmmm
#4 (permalink) Old 05-05-2008, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia
Most European pumps deliver 95 (RON) as "regular", equivalent to 90-91 US (R+M)/2.

Octane ratings can vary greatly from region to region. For example, the minimum octane rating available in much of the United States is 87 AKI and the highest is 93. However this does not mean that the gas is different.

In the Rocky Mountain (high altitude) states, 85 octane is the minimum octane and 91 is the maximum octane available in fuel. The reason for this is that in higher-altitude areas, a typical combustion engine draws in less air per cycle due to the reduced density of the atmosphere. This directly translates to reduced absolute compression in the cylinder, therefore deterring knock. It is safe to fill up a car with a carburetor that normally takes 87 AKI fuel at sea level with 85 AKI fuel in the mountains, but at sea level the fuel may cause damage to the engine. In some east coast states, up to 94 AKI is available [5].

In parts of the Midwest (primarily Minnesota, Illinois and Missouri) ethanol based E-85 fuel with 105 AKI is available [6].
California fuel stations will offer 87, 89, and 91 octane fuels, and at some stations, 100 or higher octane, sold as racing fuel. Until 2003 or 2004, 92 octane was offered in lieu of 91.

Generally, octane ratings are higher in Europe than they are in North America and most other parts of the world. This is especially true when comparing the lowest available octane level in each country. In many parts of Europe, 95 RON (90-91 AKI) is the minimum available standard (but is called Premium Unleaded), with 97/98 being higher specification (being called Super Unleaded) In Australia, "regular" unleaded fuel is RON 91, "premium" unleaded with RON 95 is widely available, and RON 98 fuel is also reasonably common. Shell sells RON 100 petrol from a small number of service stations, most of which are located in capital cities. In Malaysia, the "regular" unleaded fuel is RON92 while "premium" fuel is rated at RON97. In other countries "regular" unleaded gasoline, when available, is sometimes as low as 85 RON (still with the more regular fuel - 95 - and premium around 98 available). In Russia and CIS countries 80 RON (76 AKI) is the minimum available and the standard.

It should be noted that this higher rating seen in Europe is an artifact of a different underlying measuring procedure. In most countries (including all of Europe and Australia) the "headline" octane that would be shown on the pump is the RON, but in the United States, Canada and some other countries the headline number is the average of the RON and the MON, sometimes called the Anti-Knock Index (AKI), Road Octane Number (RdON), Pump Octane Number (PON), or (R+M)/2. Because of the 8 to 10 point difference noted above, this means that the octane in the United States will be about 4 to 5 points lower than the same fuel elsewhere: 87 octane fuel, the "regular" gasoline in the US and Canada, would be 91-92 in Europe. However most European pumps deliver 95 (RON) as "regular", equivalent to 90-91 US (R+M)/2, and deliver 98 (RON), 99 or 100 (RON) labeled as Super Unleaded.

In the United Kingdom the oil company BP is currently trialling the public selling of the super-high octane petrol BP Ultimate Unleaded 102, which as the name suggests, has an octane rating of RON 102. Although BP Ultimate Unleaded (with an octane rating of RON 97) and BP Ultimate Diesel are both widely available throughout the UK, BP Ultimate Unleaded 102 is (as of October 2007) only available throughout the UK in 10 filling stations.
91 octane at the pump (R+M/2) equals about 95 RON (that's what is posted inside your gas cap), anything more is a waste. And 49 MPG is way over what others are getting, what did you do to get that?

Last edited by spdickey; 05-05-2008 at 03:38 PM.
#5 (permalink) Old 05-05-2008, 03:18 PM
SCOA Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdickey View Post
91 octane at the pump (R+M/2) equals about 95 RON (that's what is posted inside your gas cap), anything more is a waste. And 49 MPG is way over what others are getting, what did you do to get that?
I'm a hypermiler from way back! I haven't taken the RPMs over 3,200 and I've used manual mode exclusively. And most of my miles have been with two people in the car, but we haven't needed the air conditioning yet. I can't wait to see what I can get with mostly highway driving! I'll keep you posted. PS. Thanks for the octane lesson! I've just seen other states where the octane is 93, but I'm very happy with the car's performance.

Last edited by factor9; 05-05-2008 at 03:20 PM.
#6 (permalink) Old 05-05-2008, 05:33 PM
SCOA Club

Garage
Yeah, I haven't found any pumps in NorCal with unleaded premium above 91. You would think the one place in the US with the highest gas prices would at least get the highest octane.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Smart Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode