Smarts and FasTrak - Smart Car Forums
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-02-2008, 09:51 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Smarts and FasTrak

FYI: Smarts do not yet exist in the Bay Area FasTrak database. I tried to update my account today to add the car, and it wasn't there. Guess I'll just have to carry cash around
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-02-2008, 09:54 PM
SCOA Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl242 View Post
FYI: Smarts do not yet exist in the Bay Area FasTrak database. I tried to update my account today to add the car, and it wasn't there. Guess I'll just have to carry cash around
I use my FasTrak from one car to the other and hold it up to the windshield, and it works fine. I'm probably breaking a law, but at least I'm paying my toll and getting through quickly. I'll see what I find online as well. Good point.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-02-2008, 10:22 PM

hmmm... i've just used the transponder from my other car... had crossed my mind that I should probably order another one, but just checked my online statement and tolls seem to be charging fine so far...
Kathy
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-02-2008, 10:27 PM

That's funny, the Fastrak in S.Cal has the smart listed.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-03-2008, 12:35 PM
SCOA Club

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Garage
I sent an email to FasTrak last year asking the webmaster to add the smart, but they thought I wanted to add my license "smart". It got so confusing I gave up and chose UNKNOWN FORTWO.

Note that you can use your transponder in different vehicles, but the license should be registered on your account under that transponder ID.

Also, if you use the HOV lane during commute time, with two in the car, you should isolate the transponder (in the foil bag) to prevent paying for the toll in the carpool lanes. If you get stuck in a FasTrak lane with two during commute, you should stop and tell the toll taker you want a credit.

The Golden Gate bridge does not allow free passage for two-seater cars with two people.

I researched all this prior to getting the smart. I plan on saving an additional $1,200 in tolls each year by carpooling with two in the smart!

Last edited by saronian; 06-06-2008 at 03:35 PM.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-06-2008, 10:12 AM
SCOA Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathy333 View Post
hmmm... i've just used the transponder from my other car... had crossed my mind that I should probably order another one, but just checked my online statement and tolls seem to be charging fine so far...
Kathy
I did this in a rental car in LA last year and got a ticket. Register the car and license for ANY vehicle you might use in a Fastrak lane! (I protested the ticket and didn't get out of it, as it came through the rental agecy. Others tell me they have gotten relief for cars they own but hadn't registered yet.)

I registered my smart, though no license yet, as Unknown, Smart ForTwo and will add the license when the car is registered smartxs.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-23-2008, 11:41 AM Thread Starter

Are you not worried about the velcro scuffing up the fabric on your dash as you remove it? :eek:
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-31-2008, 04:19 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I personally carry the FasTrak with me when I switch cars... I just take it out of my glove box and hold it up to the windshield and drive thru, I never had an issue.. as long as it's paid then it's good Not to mention i don't even think I have all my cars in their database.. I think it's when you get caught or.. when it doesn't pick up then you can put your car in and say "oh i forgot to put my car in the database" and they'll let you slide once or twice

Larry
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-13-2008, 02:30 AM

Yep, mine works from inside the glovebox. With the body panels mostly plastic I think the transponder sees right through them.

The reason to have the license plate on file with fastrak is if the transponder doesn't work. They take the picture, if it license plate matches an account holder in the database, they just charge your account. I have 3 vehicles all on record with only one transponder. I rarely take the transponder out of my main vehicle (smart) so when I use my truck they just charge me based on the license plate.

Vince
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-13-2008, 07:38 AM

smart was not in our east coast 'EZ pass' database-I had to specify Mercedes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Smart Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode