Compact spare tire - Smart Car Forums
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 10-16-2008, 06:41 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Compact spare tire

Has anybody given any thought to carrying a compact spare in the event of a flat?
Could probably pick one up at a junk yard in 15" size.
How to...
Adapt the 3 lug to 5 on the spare?
Where to put it?

I know, 2 different tire sizes and all, but this is strictly for a limp home mode.
Please discuss...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 10-16-2008, 07:07 PM
JOIN SCOA YOU'LL BE GLAD
SCOA Club

Thanked 1,879 Times in 916 Posts
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
...and to continue the question you started..has anybody had any luck using the factory provided fix a flat deal?...I believe they will work and do the job if the puncture is from a small nail or the likes 'cause if it is from what my bride run over, the only thing that would have plug that 1/4" hole would have been a double plug and glue thing available at all auto store(already in our tool bag)....anybody?

jetfuel
#3 (permalink) Old 10-16-2008, 07:14 PM
Bohemian Moderator
SCOA Club

Thanked 4,823 Times in 2,792 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Garage
Some more thoughts here: Space saver tire
#4 (permalink) Old 10-17-2008, 07:24 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thats what I did. Bought a steel front wheel in Europe. (fit in my suitcase-30 euro) Put on the lowest profile compact spare from a junkyard. Jack from toyota also from junkyard . all set to go.
#5 (permalink) Old 10-17-2008, 04:41 PM

I did exactly that, I bought a front steel wheel from the dealer (Not cheap), then got a like new donut spare (T125/70D15) from the junk yard for $15.00, thew away the wheel and had the tire mounted and balanced. The tire fit the wheel perfectly. With the driver's seat all the way back, the spare lays flat on the floor behind the driver's seat and clears the tail gate. I also go a jack at the junk yard for $7.00 Works for me.

Last edited by Old SGM; 10-17-2008 at 04:45 PM.
#6 (permalink) Old 10-17-2008, 04:59 PM
Dont Feed The Trolls ^Mod
SCOA Club

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old SGM View Post
I did exactly that, I bought a front steel wheel from the dealer (Not cheap), then got a like new donut spare (T125/70D15) from the junk yard for $15.00, thew away the wheel and had the tire mounted and balanced. The tire fit the wheel perfectly. With the driver's seat all the way back, the spare lays flat on the floor behind the driver's seat and clears the tail gate. I also go a jack at the junk yard for $7.00 Works for me.
Anyone know if there is a hydraulic jack that wouldnt take up much space in the car? We have a mack jack, but it takes up too much space in our matrix, let alone a smart.
#7 (permalink) Old 10-18-2008, 12:39 PM

1st off, most compact spares are larger than our tires and there's a slim chance you will find one that fits our 3 hole pattern and be the correct diameter. Just do what most of us tire paranoid people have done, get a new front tire and wheel from tirerack (I got the rial) for about $200 shipped. Then get a bag from the njbaglady. For jacking, get a jack from a salvage yard for a VW for $15-25 and get Mr Lugnut wrench at Walmart and put a 15mm deep socket on it. Put it all behind the drivers seat, fits for me and I'm 5' 9". This has a side benefit where stuff you put in the back won't fall into the hole behind your seat (wife's purse always fell in there).

#8 (permalink) Old 10-18-2008, 11:12 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Thanks for photos and info

I'm not sure why I'm flat tire fobic - 40 years of motorcycle riding and I've never had a flat on the road. However, friends have.
Just a lot of stuff going bad lately. I was laid off in June. $200 is way over any budget I have, hence the junkyard search. I'm also 6'2", so every inch in width counts. But I am sure a lot of people will appreciate your info and photos. Nice bag, too.
I wish somebody made run flats - couldn't afford those either, though.
smart already rides like a John Deere on LA freeways - how much worse could run flats be?
#9 (permalink) Old 10-19-2008, 06:33 AM

For a minor flat, you have the option to get it patched at a shop... or if it's 6pm Sunday and everyone's watching the Broncos win another game, you can patch it yourself with a Nealey's tire repair kit. I got mine in the mail a few days ago for $16.

Nealey Tire Repair Kit

This is a permanent patch, unlike Fix-A-Flat type goop where you have to take the tire in for cleaning, re-patching and possibly replace the tire and/or TPMS. It covers holes around 1/2" and can be used on the highway.

The drawback is it may take some muscle to get it applied... that's the case on a truck tire, but on a thin ContiPro? Anyone know?
#10 (permalink) Old 10-28-2008, 09:52 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I'm in the process of making a spare from a donut. Have the tire dismounted and am going to have a buddy with a big lathe cut the center out of the rim, just outside the lug holes, then I'll cut a steel plate to fit the hole, drill and countersink it for the three lug bolts on the smart and weld it in place. Don't see why it shouldnt work just fine . Somebody was discussing the jack situation....looking through my junk shed, I found a small scissor jack that I had picked up at a junkyard sometime in the past and it turned out to be exactly what I needed for the Smart....thin enough to fit in the tool compartment and colapses to about 3 inches. I think it probably came from some small import or sub-compact US car. With a little modification, it works great on both the front and back.[/B]

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Smart Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode