User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 09-15-2008, 05:51 PM
SCOA Club

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Smart Car Spare Tire Location?

Here is one place to put a spare but it is not very visually appealing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 09-16-2008, 04:41 AM
SCOA Club

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
hehe nope. But it suits the purpose.
#3 (permalink) Old 10-04-2008, 07:05 PM

Make Your own rear spare carrier!

I decided to build my own spare carrier because the market hasn't caught up to this demand yet.
To start off, remove the rear tow hook hole covers.

I got some tow hook bolts from an online smart accessory dealer. The tow hook bolts have another 12m metric bolt hole in the top. Thread those into the car, but don't tighten all the way yet.

Get a 3 foot long square tube from the lumber yard.

Stick two sharpie style pens in the open bolt holes. Align the square tube to the center on the car and press them to the sharpies to mark your drilling spots.

Also mark and drill two holes to match the lug nut holes on your spare. ( You did buy a spare first didn't you?)

If you use one bolt that is longer than the other, it will make it easier to shift the tire up and down. (more on that later) I used 1/2" bolts to go in the lug holes.

I used 2" long 12m bolts spaced by a nut to keep the bracket away from the body.

Tighten the tow bolts last so that you have some wiggle room on your holes that you measured and drilled.

With three lug nut holes, you can mount the spare slightly higher, or slightly lower. The trade off is more ground clearance or being able to open the tailgate a little farther down. First pic is in the lower position (better trunk access)

The following picture is mounted in the upper position to give a better trailing edge ground clearance. The trunk doesn't open as far, but it will rest the tag onto the tire to keep from scuffing the plastic.

If you get a small bottle jack like this one i got at Harbor Freight, it will fit in the tailgate glovebox. Also get a 15mm socket and breaker bar for a lug wrench.

Now all I have to do is take it off, paint it and get one of those spare tire covers like they use on RVs. If I can find some square hole covers that will finish it off.
#4 (permalink) Old 10-04-2008, 07:28 PM

but the car has 2 different tire sizes...which spare tire size r u carrying?
#5 (permalink) Old 10-04-2008, 07:29 PM
HGB
SCOA Club

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Looks interesting and creative. What's the part number on the jack? I bought the smallest jack at HF 2 ton and it is still to high to get under the car. Well...I finally did manage to get the jack under the lift points and pumped away..until the jack was fully extended. Result...the car was higher, but the flat tire was still touching the ground. I believe the best way to lift the car (rear tires) is to raise the DeDion tubes. How can one get get the jack under the tubes is another issue? It's too high here also. Further more the jack will just about fit under the lift points...but not with a flat tire because the car is lower. My experience so far. One member mentioned a non hydraulic Mercedes jack that would work.
#6 (permalink) Old 10-05-2008, 06:43 AM
SCOA Club

Looks very interesting. However I'd be concerned with the weight of the tire and bar bending the assembly. Let us know if your setup is still straight after 1 to 2 thousand miles. I do like the fact that it adds somewhat of an additional bumper to the back. Also, I'd be concerned with someone stealing your tire.

Yellow-Smart
#7 (permalink) Old 10-05-2008, 08:04 AM

I used the front rim because the offset is suppose to work front or back. I was worried a little about the strength of the bar too. When I reassemble today after the paint job, I may cut some real small slices of pipe for a crush sleave inside the tube.
If I run into any problems later, I'll exchange the hollow steel tube for a solid aluminum bar.
As far as theft, I'm thinking of a bike locking cable.
The jack I found in the HF store, but I don't see it online, It's the only small blue one I saw. I'll get the numbers and post it later.
#8 (permalink) Old 10-05-2008, 08:21 AM

I would also be interested to know if these quick trailer jacks would work. You just wedge them in front of an axle and then drive forward a little. I'm not sure how the traction control would handle this if you were jacking up the back.

#9 (permalink) Old 10-05-2008, 08:31 AM
SCOA Club

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellow-smart View Post
I'd be concerned with someone stealing your tire.

Yellow-Smart
Who, But a Smart owner would need that rim with three holes?
#10 (permalink) Old 10-05-2008, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forestacademy View Post
Who, But a Smart owner would need that rim with three holes?
A not-so-smart driver?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Smart Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.smartcarofamerica.com/forums/f64/smart-car-spare-tire-location-13942/
Posted By For Type Date
harbor freight tow bar - message boards | BoardReader This thread Refback 10-24-2008 09:01 PM
Smart Car Blog: AutoBlog Tells us the Smart will go start/stop on us! This thread Refback 09-15-2008 07:28 PM
Smart Car Blog: Smart Car Accessories This thread Refback 09-15-2008 07:16 PM