9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 08-22-2009, 06:48 AM
Banned
SCOA Club

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Are YOU a Member of the "I Can Rotate My Tires Club"?

This is for "Members" of this "Club" ONLY.

I would just like to see 'who' and 'how many' have made a switch to put the same size tires/wheels on the front AND back?

They don't have to be OEM wheels/tires, just as long as you have the same size at all four corners.

I know there's already a thread or two 'discussing' this. THIS IS NOT THAT THREAD. I'm only looking as to who and why.....PLEASE no discussions or opinions from those who are NOT a member of this "Club".

SIMPLY list WHAT 'mod' you made (OEM or Aftermarket, wheel and tire size, brand...etc) and WHY you did it.

Feel free to post pics TOO!

Thank You!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 08-22-2009, 06:52 AM
SCOA Club

I made the change last month to OEM 9 Spoke rears and tires added to the front. Did this so I could rotate my tires. Just made sense to me. The plus... I now have a spare to carry with me.
#3 (permalink) Old 08-22-2009, 08:25 AM
68K miles of smiles
SCOA Club

Thanked 2,285 Times in 1,414 Posts
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Garage
Give a guy some wheels and look at what happens:

What a snob !!!!!

No more Bamboo for you Panda :eek:

"ONLY MEMBERS" HA!

(You KNEW I couldn't reisist!)
#4 (permalink) Old 08-22-2009, 08:55 AM
To the XCAPEPOD!
SCOA Club

Thanked 1,726 Times in 847 Posts
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Garage
I switched to Rial 15x6 rims and 195/50 Yokohama tires all the way around in January after putting about 6K miles on the OEM wheels/tires. I now have almost 15K miles on the new setup.

I changed for a) better ride, b) better handling, c) better look on the car (wider tires), d) better looking/easier to clean rim design, e) more readily available common tire size.

I have rotated the new setup twice after installation: once front to back on the same side and front to back swapping sides the next time.

I have been very pleased with the enhancement in appearance and performance. My fuel mileage has been basically unaffected (see recent fuelly.com entries).

#5 (permalink) Old 08-22-2009, 12:05 PM
Banned
SCOA Club

Thanks guys for the feedback.

"Chief".....I'll deal with YOU later! You KNOW that 'no bamboo' makes for a VERY grumpy Panda. Yes, even GRUMPIER than normal!

Got my OEM rears to put on the front yesterday, but I've been busy running errands and stuff this AM and now that I have the time, it's warming up and RAINING. But I hope to have them on either later today or tomorrow AM.

I'll post some pics to show the difference in stance, clearance, etc. I'm doing it in hopes that it improves the ride on the interstate AND so I can rotate them (and have a spare too). I happen to like the look of the OEM 9 spoke Alloys, so I'm quite happy to keep that look. When the 175/55R15's wear out, I 'may' go with 195/50R15's, but it will be pushing the limits of the rim width.

Thanks again 'members' and the one 'non-member' for your feedback!
#6 (permalink) Old 08-22-2009, 03:37 PM
Banned
SCOA Club

My Front Wheels/Tires "Before" Pics with the OEM 155/60R15's.....

Last edited by Big Panda; 08-24-2009 at 04:30 PM.
#7 (permalink) Old 08-22-2009, 03:45 PM
Banned
SCOA Club

.....and now the "After" pics with the OEM 175/55R15's

Last edited by Big Panda; 08-24-2009 at 04:30 PM.
#8 (permalink) Old 08-22-2009, 03:49 PM
Banned
SCOA Club

Big difference noticed in the ride just on our 'test drive' locally. Can't wait to get it out on the interstate and check it out. VERY HAPPY we did this!

A BIG THANKS to my wife, 'Deer 1', for going along with this mod and of course to 'Barney O', who was kind enough to 'make the drop' and pick up the 'ransom money' in TH and make this happen!

#9 (permalink) Old 08-22-2009, 07:29 PM
SCOA Club

I bought four DeCorsa 15x6 rims (two back pairs), and added Kumho 195/50's on them. The ride is a bit smoother (I haven't gotten on the highway in any wind yet to test stability), but the steering seems to be a bit more sensitive now. Although the tires are uni-directional, I did it more to get all four tires into a more common size, where I can expect to find a supplier local to where-ever I am (unless I break down in the middle of Iowa, or Death Valley). Rotating the tires would be nice, but with the tires set up at angles like they are, I would have to have the tires un-mounted and moved around, just like with the OEM's, so I really haven't bought anything there, other than being able to move front to back, and visa-versa. Plus, they look real nice... (always a plus!)

#10 (permalink) Old 08-22-2009, 07:35 PM
Red Roller Skate
SCOA Club

Is it ok to rotate left to right (front right to front left, back left to back right) since to get better wear on factory tires?>

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Smart Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode