Smart Car of America Forum banner

Reset Wrench symbol (450)

68K views 26 replies 22 participants last post by  Stretchmobile 
#1 ·
How do I reset the service wrench indicator. I changed the oil now would like to reset.

#6 ·
My search showed the below methods and it may depend on year. Could try both since it shouldn't hurt at least.

Method 1

Switch on the ignition to position 1

Select maintenance indicator within 4 sec by double tapping the instrument cluster button

Switch of the ignition to position 0 (off) within 10 sec

Push and hold in the instrument cluster button and switch ignition on

Hold the instrument cluster button for another 10sec

In that time, the spanner symbol on the LCD will flash and eventually reset

Method 2

Select maintenance indicator within 4 sec by double tapping the instrument cluster button, keep it held down on the second press.

Switch ignition on

Keep the instrument cluster button held down for another 10sec

#9 ·
Adjustment to Method 1

My search showed the below methods and it may depend on year. Could try both since it shouldn't hurt at least.

Method 1

Select maintenance indicator within 4 sec by double tapping the instrument cluster button

Method 2

Select maintenance indicator within 4 sec by double tapping the instrument cluster button, keep it held down on the second press.

Switch ignition on

Keep the instrument cluster button held down for another 10sec

Method 1

Make sure wrench is still flashing.

Make sure wrench is still flashing when you turn ignition to position 1 while you

#11 ·
Here's the exact steps that worked, mine's a June 08 Model.

Just changed my oil today.

1. Switch Key to I position and quickly double tap the left cluster button to display the flashing wrench.

2. Switch Key to O position, hold down left cluster button, switch Key to I for a sec, then start the car while keeping the cluster button held down until you see a double wrench icon (wrench will not flash indicating a reset). Done!

#18 ·
Was in the KC dealership several days ago to have my radio changed under warranty (came on every time the car was started). When they were finished, the service manager came to tell me and asked If I had changed my oil recently. I said yes (12K miles on it) He said I'll get rid of the reminder for you (wrench icon) and show you how to do it. He proceeded to go through the procedure menentioned on the provious posts. He had to do it several times before it worked, so If you can't get it the first time through, don't give up. Not all dealers are greedy gougers.

#21 ·
Ugh- a dozen tries to reset it and no luck on the 450. Maybe I'm not waiting long enough before I do the initial 2 presses on the button? I dunno. Wishing I could just hold the button and cycle the ignition switch- this is a huge PITA just to get rid of a service reminder. Could the OBD scanner clear it?

#22 ·
Ok, well it's done. On attempt number 23 or maybe 39, I finally cleared the service reminder on the 450. I watched the evilution video 6 times to get the timing absolutely perfect- and really that's what it took to finally do it. Here's a bit of info that I found helped me:

The first try absolutely will not work- so do whatever you have to, to get the spanner/wrench to flash, not the trip meter, not the odometer, not a bunch of dancing teddy bears just get it to show the flashing "spanner" (and how many miles you supposedly are late in doing your service) and turn off the ignition.

Then quickly turn the ignition to 1 and IMMEDIATELY PRESS THE DASH BUTTON TWICE (bang,bang!) and turn off the ignition. Then press and hold the dash button and turn the key back to 1. You have to do ALL of this in less than 3 seconds. No, I'm not kidding. I still can't feel the fingertips on my left hand. Why would I lie?

And- here's the important part!, you will know that you finally got it because you will be rewarded by a picture of two wrenches (aka spanners if you're watching the evilution video) and 8000kms displayed below. Now you know you reset it, but will need to endure this hell again in 8000kms, hooray! Good luck. -J

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.