Anyone else battle the roads tonight in your smart? - Smart Car Forums
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-26-2011, 09:06 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anyone else battle the roads tonight in your smart?

What a mess!

I was at work today when the storms hit. I am a Federal Govt. contractor, so we got sent out 2 hours early. The roads were already a disaster, so a few of us hung out for a bit and then decided to go to happy hour/dinner at 4 to wait it out. We're about 1/4 mile from Montgomery mall and knew we could get there safely.

At about 8:00, I decided to try to go home. I made it out of the parking lot and onto the main road - and proceeded to start pushing snow with my front airdam. I got caught at a light with a guy in a 350z, and neither of us could go. I couldn't spin enough to get moving, and I couldn't rock myself out of a spot. I ended up having to do the cluster button trick to disable ESP to get moving again. At this point, I watched a Mercedes Sprinter pirouette down a hill that I was going to try to climb... so I got back into the plowed mall parking lot, and tried to go out the other side. There was an oncoming Civic that lost control and hit the Accord in front of me head on at about 10 MPH. At this point, I decided to reverse quickly and get myself back into the garage.

At 10:00, we decided to leave and I tried to head home again. Through the grace of God, clear roads, and intersections with traffic lights out - I managed to make it home and into my garage (passing a bus that is stuck on the road in front of my apartment) The drive was... well, white knuckle at points - and I enjoy driving in snow.

It's a damn mess out there - I have friends that are now going on 6 hours trying to get home and are just sitting on the beltway, going nowhere.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-27-2011, 06:12 AM
SCOA Club

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 219 Post(s)
I was moving cars into the DC convention center for the DC auto show.
Then had our first customer delivery of a smart ED (electric drive) in Silver Spring, MD. During the delivery, it was scattered showers. Left Silver Spring about 3 and then it started to snow. Took 2 hours to get back to smart center Tyson's (it would normally take about 35 min).
Then I stayed put at smart center until traffic eased. Finally left about 11:30 but it still took close to an hour to get the 3 1/2 miles to home.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-27-2011, 07:28 AM
SCOA Club

I was out when it was hailing around 2:45pm. Headed to the dmv to get my plates done. I slid but it was really easily corrected- there's no car to help the slide go anywhere and so small I stayed in my own lane. The roads got pretty icy with all the hail. When I came out it was snowing. So of course we went to get lunch?! Got done with that around 4 and headed home. Several cars were stuck so I got pretty worried. Made it the 3 miles home with no issue. It was slow going- cars with flashers on in the slow lane so I just kept pace and got home easily. Glad you made it home.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-27-2011, 07:33 AM
SCOA Club

Oh and just to add- how great is it that you only need *this* much room to get the car in/out of the driveway Really appreciated the small car when shoveling snow last night!
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-27-2011, 07:47 AM
SCOA Club

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdfortwoguy View Post
What a mess!
At this point, I watched a Mercedes Sprinter pirouette down a hill that I was going to try to climb... so I got back into the plowed mall parking lot,
That was a smart move.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-27-2011, 09:04 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
thank you blizzaks on all four got home fine
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-27-2011, 11:31 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by churpee View Post
thank you blizzaks on all four got home fine
How much did you guys get up there?
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-27-2011, 12:11 PM
SCOA Club

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Garage
left bubba in the garage and took the sonata we got about 14"
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-27-2011, 01:58 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Garage
I was on my way going home from work and stopped for fuel up and at about four it went from rain and hail to a good steady snow. Was in Annandale and saw the roads were building up with snow really fast. Naturally i got to the house and stayed put.
I will say since i live on Gallows, i was able to see that the traffic was very bad going and even heard then saw this one car spinning his tires more than once. Even my older sister was stuck on route 50 coming from Fairfax and was hardly moving.
Now after digging myself out this morning and pulling out of the driveway with several attempts, i was able to go on Gallows the next day, however Annandale Road was a nasty mess, and that took some time getting down that road to route 50 in Falls Church. Needless to say my car does this stuff pretty good for a rear wheel driver. Best part of it is is the shock value i give my co-workers who have this myth that the Smart will never maneuver in snow well. Case in point, " I am impressed that you braved the elements out there considering the " small car" you drive". You just got to love the naysayers.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-27-2011, 06:48 PM

Garage
Man it was tough today....71 degrees bright beautiful day. Left the smart at home, took the cobra to work

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Smart Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode