Chrome Lug Nuts for Smart ( actually lug bolts ) - Smart Car Forums
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 12-18-2009, 08:29 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Chrome Lug Nuts for Smart ( actually lug bolts )

I see a lot of folks out there with the rubber covers over their stock lug bolts and thought to myself "well thats cool, but my car came with stock chrome rims" I also saw a lot of smarts running nice after market wheels and stock lugs too. I've worked at an offroad / vw beetle shop for the past 12 years and oddly enough, though I sold my bug years ago, I find that damn near every part I run into on my smart interchanges with an old vw bug. Any how long story short, I took the stock lug bolts off. They are 12mm x 1.5 thread. Same as the bug lugs I have on the shelf. I tried using a thread in stud and a lug nut ( not a bolt a nut - there is a difference ) but after i threaded the stud in, then the wheel, the nuts that fit are all too large and stick out past the rim and it looks wierd. So then I went and got a chrome stock lug bolt off of a bug. It is 12mm x 1.5 thread x 20mm long with a ball socket taper. If you're familiar with lugs they come in either a 60 degree taper or a ball socket. And smarts use a ball socket. So here are the photos and if you'd like to buy them you can find them at: Pacific Customs Sandrail Parts, VW Parts, Dune Buggy Parts, CHROME 12mm-1.5 STOCK STYLE LUG BOLT 20mm LONG FOR BAJA STYLE WHT / CHROME RIMS TO STOCK 5 LUG DRUMS The only thing that I had to do, close to where the bottom of the lug is where it starts to taper on these lugs the hex had to be hit with the belt sander to remove the bottom edge. Took 5 mins to do 12 lugs. Also FYI the wrench size on these new lugs is 19mm or 3/4" and my standard snap-on socket fit into the wheel with no problem that has a outer diameter of 1 1/8".

STOCK LUG BOLTS

STOCK LUG BOLT NEXT TO CHROME

CHROME BOLTS ON THE CAR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 12-18-2009, 08:31 PM

Oh here is a picture of when I tried duing the studs and lug nuts instead of bolts... just to show you guys

#3 (permalink) Old 12-19-2009, 12:05 AM

those are nice too.
but now its a size that definetly isnt the smart oem size. 15mm vs 19mm
and doesnt fit exactly, needs bench work.
and their $24.00 a set, most likely plus shipping. i think pabliia has best chromes for now.
its a matter of personal preferance but IMHO the smarter buy is the vinyl covers that;
install easily with a free removal tool for ALL the smart wheels,
wont rust, notever! they last forever.
come in 6 colors, red white blue black yellow gray, change with a attitude?.
and dont cost quite as much.
but chrome is nice too. good find!

Last edited by donnyonee; 12-19-2009 at 02:55 PM.
#4 (permalink) Old 12-19-2009, 07:42 AM

I'm not saying that the rubber covers are bad, just wasnt my preference. As for shipping from PCU, if you live in or near corona, ca you can just pick them up. I searched on here and there were a few folks that also did this, but no one took pictures of their work or anything. I know you're trying to promote your rubber covers, but its always nice to have other options.
#5 (permalink) Old 12-19-2009, 07:58 AM

Even better news.... Talked to the guys at PCU they dropped the price to $1.00 each so now you can buy a set for $12.00 bux even cheaper than a rubber boot. Though you don't get a snazzy removal tool, you do get to use a normal size lug wrench =)
#6 (permalink) Old 12-19-2009, 09:44 AM

normal size for who?
those look so big ,can you even use your fingers to turn them in? smart did their own research and the smaller 15mm, are quite easy for anyone to screw back in. can you get on the flats to turn them? or is that the 4 way wrench thing so you can cross thread them?
IMHO the chrome ones that "pabille" found for his rial wheels are really the trick set up. maybe you can talk with them and get that price lowered for everyone too!
and its all personal preferance.
your first post was 8:30 last nite and now youve gone back to get a better deal and and got back to post again before 7:45 am on sat the next day? sounds kinda fishy to me.
merry xmas to all! and to all our friends in the carona and riverside area.

Last edited by donnyonee; 12-19-2009 at 01:18 PM.
#7 (permalink) Old 12-19-2009, 10:50 AM

I can thread them in fine with my fingers, but yes using a wrench / socket is easier. In no way did I cross thread them. I saw the ones that pabille found, and admit they're great, but the guy selling them wants to charge freight. These were sitting on the shelf at work so that is why I bought them. I work monday through friday 8am to 6pm and saturday 6am to 2pm if my work schedule concerns you. All in all donnyonee, I didnt post this thread to bash you or your covers. Look at my first sentence of the first post "I see a lot of folks out there with the rubber covers over their stock lug bolts and thought to myself "well thats cool, but my car came with stock chrome rims" I admit they look cool, and look really nice with cars that match the color. Never came on your threads about your covers and started posting "oh this idea is better" now did I ?? No I simply posted a thread of my car and my mod right?
#8 (permalink) Old 12-19-2009, 11:19 AM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by donnyonee View Post
those are nice too.
but now its a size that definetly isnt the smart oem size. 15mm vs 19mm
and doesnt fit exactly, needs bench work.
and their $24.00 a set, most likely plus shipping.
its a matter of personal preferance but IMHO the smarter buy is the vinyl covers that;
install easily with a free removal tool for ALL the smart wheels,
wont rust, notever! they last forever.
come in 6 colors, red white blue black yellow gray, change with a attitude?.
and dont cost quite as much, on xmas special for the forum readers for dec at $15. a set shipped. normally $20.
but chrome is nice too. good find!
They are nothing more than Industrial Pipe Cap Plugs that can be bought at any Industrial Cap Plug Supplier.... They cost 5 cents each if you buy 5000... That's a nice profit for the vendor... I think 5 bucks for 12 would be more than a fare profit.... Don't you think...??? Somebody's laughing all the way to the Bank...
#9 (permalink) Old 12-19-2009, 11:30 AM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitstopautoinc View Post
I see a lot of folks out there with the rubber covers over their stock lug bolts and thought to myself "well thats cool, but my car came with stock chrome rims" I also saw a lot of smarts running nice after market wheels and stock lugs too. I've worked at an offroad / vw beetle shop for the past 12 years and oddly enough, though I sold my bug years ago, I find that damn near every part I run into on my smart interchanges with an old vw bug. Any how long story short, I took the stock lug bolts off. They are 12mm x 1.5 thread. Same as the bug lugs I have on the shelf. I tried using a thread in stud and a lug nut ( not a bolt a nut - there is a difference ) but after i threaded the stud in, then the wheel, the nuts that fit are all too large and stick out past the rim and it looks wierd. So then I went and got a chrome stock lug bolt off of a bug. It is 12mm x 1.5 thread x 20mm long with a ball socket taper. If you're familiar with lugs they come in either a 60 degree taper or a ball socket. And smarts use a ball socket. So here are the photos and if you'd like to buy them you can find them at: Pacific Customs Sandrail Parts, VW Parts, Dune Buggy Parts, CHROME 12mm-1.5 STOCK STYLE LUG BOLT 20mm LONG FOR BAJA STYLE WHT / CHROME RIMS TO STOCK 5 LUG DRUMS The only thing that I had to do, close to where the bottom of the lug is where it starts to taper on these lugs the hex had to be hit with the belt sander to remove the bottom edge. Took 5 mins to do 12 lugs. Also FYI the wrench size on these new lugs is 19mm or 3/4" and my standard snap-on socket fit into the wheel with no problem that has a outer diameter of 1 1/8".

STOCK LUG BOLTS

STOCK LUG BOLT NEXT TO CHROME

CHROME BOLTS ON THE CAR
Should not the Threads be as long as the Stock... They look alot shorter than stock, or am I wrong...??? I like the L00K...<:-))
#10 (permalink) Old 12-19-2009, 11:37 AM

brabus,
you seem to not think about ALL the other associated cost, for starters i had to invest a few thousand dollars in the whole project. 37,000 pieces to get the colors for everyone. if your not happy with them thats ok and it isnt necessary to cut someone down because you dont happen to like to pay the going price. i saw that cigs at stateline were $7 a pack. their selling thousands of packs and thats the best deal, the nerve of them!
im a 1 man operation, i have 1 product, i have very few retailers. i dont have any other busuness to help me financially. in the begining i was told what a cheap lousy product i have and guess what, everyone who bought a set are happy.
IMHO the chrome bolts on pabillas are nice, the others are too large, etc..
maybe all the vendors should ask you what the going price should be because its not fair for you to have to pay them.
and besides if you go out for lunch its easy so spend a meesly $20 and do you go back and tell management they charge too much because you can get hamburger meat at the store much cheaper? or just say you go for a couple of beers fri nite, thats a easy 20 and where exactly does it end up? down the drain?
IMHO for ease and convience pabillas chromes are very nice. we all get critisied for our mods and thats the benifit to having a free society. and i appreciate it when someone actually comes up with a good idea/purchase/result that we can use, or even point out a negative to ponder upon.
its all personal preferance.
and merry xmas to all!
donnyonee

Last edited by donnyonee; 12-19-2009 at 01:28 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Smart Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode