Smart Car of America Forum banner

Need help on amp/sub selection

2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  smartgpspro 
#1 · (Edited)
I got my Passion with the radio (10) and upgrade sound system. It sounds decent but "hollow", so I have a pair of Polk DB651's that are going in Saturday. Based on other posts here, the sub is, well, "sub"-standard. pun intended. I want to replace it and add an amp at the same time. I am thinking of getting a four-channel amp, powering the door speakers off of two channels, and bridging the other two to drive the sub. Even though the Polk's are only 55W RMS, I figured they would benefit from the increased power of an external amp.
Can some of you audiophiles tell me if I am on the right track as well as a good sub and amp choice?
Thanks,
Bull

I am considering a Polk Audio db840 8" sub (50-180W) and a Profile AP1040 amp (80W x 4). Opinions/suggestions? I have never heard of Profile before, but I don't think I can go wrong with the Polk Audio components.

#3 ·
After speaking to Crutchfield, the Profile amp may not be what I want. He said plenty of punch for the money, but does not produce quite the quality of the Alpine or Kenwood amps in a similar price range.
Are there really any car audio components made in America? Not being sarcastic, but asking a serious question. I was disappointed to read the side of the box for my new Polk's and see "Made in China"!
I think I am leaning toward the Kenwood KAC-8404 now, which is 50W x 4, 180W bridged.

#4 ·
I'd highly recommend using a JL Audio W60 sub in a sealed box under the glovebox. There's a ton of room up there. Another member of the forum did it and posted a picture of the installed box. I'm using that and a pair of Polk db675s in the doors. I first used the 6W0 in my Mini, where they are in sealed containers inside where the OEM 6x9s lived. They're very quick and will handle low-end eq boost. They easily could be mistaken for 10"ers.

Very little audio gear is made in the US today, unless you're shopping for a home stereo in the $20-100k range. The name brand companies do keep an eye on quality control, so if you drop $1000 on an amp or speakers, you shouldn't worry.

#5 ·
Thanks guys. I guess I have settled part of my question as of today at lunch. I just snagged a JL Audio A4300 for my amp. I hope to mount it under the seat out of sight.... if it will fit. Otherwise, I guess it will go behind the passenger seat. I just haven't decided how to handle the turn-on connection. There is no doubt that the factory radio does NOT have an output for that. I just can't decide how to power it in a convenient "automated" way. (without having to add a toggle switch) Since the radio will play without the key in the ignition, I can't splice into a switched ignition source.... I guess I will just have to add a switch.

#6 ·
Amp location and size

I too wanted to put a 4 channel amp but didnt want to use the space behind the seats. I'm using 2 2 channel amps from MBQuart where 1 will power my 10" sub under the dash and the other will power the new 6.5 MBQuart speakers for the doors. These amps fit under each seat without any obstruction. This way, the whole system will be hidden and the car will look factory except for the head unit.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.