Towing four wheels down - Smart Car Forums
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 02-04-2008, 05:17 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Towing four wheels down

I am also interested in towing behind RV four wheels down. Any info on tow bar availability and cost would be helpful.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 04-01-2008, 09:55 AM

Garage
"And now for the good news. Unlike earlier European models that have a different engine and transmission, the import version is flat-towable. As of this writing, smart USA is developing a tow bar for the smart fortwo that will attach to the front of the vehicle that will allow for flat-towing behind a motorhome. With a base weight of just 1,800 pounds, there are few motorhomes that will have any problems towing this novel lightweight dinghy."

Read the whole Motorhome article at: This Link
#3 (permalink) Old 04-01-2008, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandg96h View Post
I am also interested in towing behind RV four wheels down. Any info on tow bar availability and cost would be helpful.

Try the "search" function above for tow bar and you'll find threads on this. Yes, there is a Blue Ox towing package available.

http://www.blueox.us/baseplates.cfm?...&submit=Search
#4 (permalink) Old 08-15-2008, 09:44 AM

Blue Ox Baseplate part #BX 1983 $ 336.18 WIREING #BX 8848 $63.38 PLUS Tow Bar
#5 (permalink) Old 08-15-2008, 12:20 PM
Banned

Also some info here blue ox customer svc. comment
And Here http://www.smartcarofamerica.com/for...ing-rvs-11464/
Or Here Flat Tow ?? YES!!!

Last edited by Dunerunner; 08-15-2008 at 12:23 PM.
#6 (permalink) Old 08-15-2008, 03:39 PM

How are you guys makin out with the tow bars?
Ya figured out if ya have to lock the steering on the Smart or not?

This kind of thing is always a bit goofy UNTIL the early adopters get it sorted out.

I'm sure there are MANY of the RV guys out there with light weight Class-C coaches that would LOVE to be able to tow a little car easily without sucking a ton of fuel or tearing up their truck. Not everybody has a giant garage coach or a diesel pusher with a big Cummins in back that is impervious to a slight load like a towed Hummer for instance... In these days of high fuel costs, a lot of owners are probably interested in being able to tow a Smart. It's not for everybody, but there is still a pretty good sized niche market I'm thinkin.

Let's face it. A Smart is a way fun car to have when ya git where yer goin. It's not all about trying to get 50 MPG, although that isn't all that bad of thing sometimes...

I noted at a recent overnight that the guy next to us got charged $15 bucks a night to park his tow dolly at a separate area. That CG didn't allow tow dollies to be parked in the RV site, just one towed vehicle. That was one reason I got the garage coach was cuz I wanted to "trailer" the sidecar rig and use typical RV parks and campgrounds and it was just WAY simpler to use the garage coach rather than deal with the RV AND the trailer AND the sidecar rig in the spaces available.
I would think a Smart on a retracting tow bar would be pretty handy compared with all that sort of thing.

just a thunk
#7 (permalink) Old 08-20-2008, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kannonvaggon View Post
How are you guys makin out with the tow bars?
Ya figured out if ya have to lock the steering on the Smart or not?
I've used my smartie to push our motorhome several times now using the Blue Ox setup -

My procedure:

Make sure that the car is positioned pretty much straight behind the RV. Once I connect the tow bar arms to the car I push the car back to lock the arms on the tow bar. Then I make sure the steering wheel is exactly centered and pull away - if possible pull straight forward until everything is moving.

If the car's wheels are not pointing straight ahead, then it'll tend to oscillate. If the arms are not locked then the oscillations will be pretty severe, to the point where you need to stop and reposition the steering wheel on the car.

I've never had an oscillation while driving, although a tight turn into a driveway did cause a slight oscillation once...
#8 (permalink) Old 09-07-2008, 02:57 PM

Garage
Towing our 2008 Smart

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandg96h View Post
We tow our Smart with Blue Ox you can check out some of our pictures@ http://www.smartcarofamerica.com/gallery/browseimages.php?c=18&userid=16263

I installed the Blue Ox base plate BX 1983 using two floor jacks to support the car. (See pictures)

I have not installed the BX 8848 4 Diode wiring kit yet, we use a LED wireless light bar that uses suckion cups to hold it to the roof.

We also use a Blue Ox KarGard BX 8871 to protect the car. This is the 3rd car we have used it on. (See Picture)

We have towed our car almost 1400 miles so far, we have not had our door locks to lock and we have NOT added any miles to our speedo either.

I did the install in our driveway at our Port in Titusville, FL. (I also did the Honda Element in the one picture when it was new.)

I work for SunCoast RV a chain of RV Dealerships, I was asked to move to the new Calera, AL store a several of weeks ago. So if you are in the greater Birmingham, AL area and want to tow your Smart drop me a note and I can explain how you can use Blue Ox or Road Master to do so. If you are handy and can follow directions their is no reason why you can not install it yourself.

If you have any questions let me know.

Take Care,
Larry Schmitt
#9 (permalink) Old 09-18-2008, 12:15 PM

Dropped towbar/receiver device

I notice that your towbar is parallel to the ground because you have an angled connector between your receiver and the towbar. Our Blue Ox towbar connects at an upward angle, and I would like to know what your connector device is.
THX
#10 (permalink) Old 09-19-2008, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVDodd View Post
I notice that your towbar is parallel to the ground because you have an angled connector between your receiver and the towbar. Our Blue Ox towbar connects at an upward angle, and I would like to know what your connector device is.
THX
Blue Ox, among others, sells drop receivers ranging from a 2" to a 10" drop. Measure the height of your current receiver and subtract about 12" from that if you're using a Blue Ox baseplate to get the appropriate drop. You can have up to a 4" rise in the towbar, but it must not be any lower than your receiver hitch.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Smart Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.smartcarofamerica.com/forums/f77/towing-four-wheels-down-3351/
Posted By For Type Date
Driver information center. - Club smart Car This thread Refback 08-24-2008 10:18 AM
Driver information center. - Club smart Car This thread Refback 08-23-2008 09:52 PM