Trailer for mobility scooter and wheelchairs - Smart Car Forums
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 07-13-2009, 04:53 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Trailer for mobility scooter and wheelchairs

I'm thinking of getting rid of my van with the lift and getting one of these "ScootaTrailers" (http://www.scootatrailer.com). They run about $2000, but have a tongue weight of only 35 to 75 pounds and can carry a 600-pound payload. My big scooter (a 4-wheeler) is about 175 pounds, my Jazzy is 135 pounds, and my little travel wheelchair is about 80 pounds. The travel chair fits in the back of the smart, but it's getting harder for me to lift - and I'm only going to go downhill from here. The lift in my van is even getting hard for me to use - especially since I park on a pretty steep hill and getting the chair or the big scooter in is almost impossible for me by myself.

Has anyone ever seen one of these? Any other suggestions? TIA - sheureka

Last edited by sheureka; 07-13-2009 at 04:55 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 07-13-2009, 06:14 PM
Lifetime Member
SCOA Club

Thanked 1,921 Times in 1,004 Posts
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Sheureka - my micro cargo trailer started out life as a little scooter trailer. I'm in the process of doing some "special" mods to it but they are out there. Mine was custom built but the guy who built it left out any sort of suspension. I have since added leaf springs.

I originally paid around $250 for it but the suspension cost another $100. The rest of the additions will be a bit more as well but will take away the mobility scooter usability of it.

What I would suggest is if there is a local small trailer manufacture is to go to them and tell them what you want. I bet they will custom build one for 1/4 of that $2k. Slightly more for the enclosed type. Also you'll be keeping money in your community - something I am always for if I can help it. Buy Local.

#3 (permalink) Old 07-15-2009, 04:06 PM

I talked to some fabricators near here and they said they wouldn't want to mess with it. The suspension seems to be their problem - because of high speeds and the electronics on the wheel chair. So I'm looking around trying to find the lowest price on this one. I should be able to get at least $2,000 for my van with the wheelchair lift. If it's even close to a wash I'm okay with it. Here's a picture of the trailer with my wheelchair's twin in it. I think it will be pretty cute toodling down the road with the top down on my little yellow smart! Maybe I'll get some hippy flower decals for the trailer.

#4 (permalink) Old 07-15-2009, 06:50 PM
Lifetime Member
SCOA Club

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheureka View Post
I talked to some fabricators near here and they said they wouldn't want to mess with it. The suspension seems to be their problem - because of high speeds and the electronics on the wheel chair. So I'm looking around trying to find the lowest price on this one. I should be able to get at least $2,000 for my van with the wheelchair lift. If it's even close to a wash I'm okay with it. Here's a picture of the trailer with my wheelchair's twin in it. I think it will be pretty cute toodling down the road with the top down on my little yellow smart! Maybe I'll get some hippy flower decals for the trailer.
Too bad they won't touch the idea of custom making one.

I see getting $2k for a van with lift easily. Wash it up and Craigslist that puppy. Good Luck.
#5 (permalink) Old 07-28-2009, 02:31 PM

Foldaway trailer for scooters

There is available a dismantable trailer for Mobility Scooters that fits in the back of even small cars. They are available in the UK from Mobility scooter trailers.co.uk
They may be of interest to you.
#6 (permalink) Old 07-28-2009, 03:12 PM

I don't know if I'd trust that trailer at highway speeds - especially with the roads we have here in southeastern Arizona! It wouldn't be legal in the states without some work - lights, chains, etc. Cool idea though! - sheureka
#7 (permalink) Old 08-02-2009, 07:35 PM

Help making decisions on options

My trailer should be here tomorrow - it's been in Phoenix since early Friday morning. The only option I ordered were gas struts for the lift gate, but I got a call on Friday from the manufacturer asking if I'd be willing to take a picture of the whole rig for their advertising in exchange for an accessory for the trailer. They mentioned the spare tire with mount and cover which retails at about $200 -

But I might want the aluminum top to protect the wheelchair and to be able to secure stuff stashed in the trailer (close to $1000 retail) -

I'm sure that won't be free, but I might be able to work a serious discount. Anyway, the top weighs about 50 pounds and looks like it sticks up pretty far. Do you all think I'd take a pretty big hit on mileage because of the weight and shape? TIA - sheureka

Last edited by sheureka; 08-02-2009 at 07:41 PM.
#8 (permalink) Old 08-02-2009, 08:04 PM
Lifetime Member
SCOA Club

Garage
Congrats, almost there.

The spare tire can be had dirt cheap at Wal-Mart, Tractor Supply, Northern Tools etc. I'm guessing you'll have enough room for it in the bed of the trailer or if you know someone crafty - a mount is nothing (plus you can get a bolt on mount aftermarket much cheaper).

The cover IMO is a much more positive trade versus the hit you'll take on mileage.
#9 (permalink) Old 08-07-2009, 01:39 PM

My First Tow!

My trailer was delivered yesterday - it had to be left at my neighbors because 1) they have a flat place where it could be put together, and 2) my house is being painted and the driveway was full of vans, scooters, etc., and there was no way he could get in here.

We put it together this morning (took about 15 minutes!), I loaded up my heaviest scooter and my 250-pound neighbor and took off down the hill. My driveway is about 2 city blocks long and even without the trailer, scooter, and neighbor, I put the smart into 1st gear coming up to my house. Other than a slight increase in stopping distance going down the hill and the pickup being a little slow on the street below the smart easily handled the load. I am very, very pleased with the whole setup - the trailer tracked really well, even on some very sharp "switch back" right turns coming back up.

I'll post some pictures as soon as the painters leave and I can get out of the house again! - sheureka
#10 (permalink) Old 08-07-2009, 03:44 PM
Lifetime Member
SCOA Club

Garage
I bet you are VERY excited! If you end up wanting just a little extra piece of mind (and an answer to the gazillion questions you will soon be asked ) you should take it to a place to get it weighed. City dump or large truck stop has good calibrated scales you can use for a minimum price, just a few dollars.

I will be starting on building a body for my special trailer tomorrow.

Get those pics up once you get a chance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheureka View Post
My trailer was delivered yesterday - it had to be left at my neighbors because 1) they have a flat place where it could be put together, and 2) my house is being painted and the driveway was full of vans, scooters, etc., and there was no way he could get in here.

We put it together this morning (took about 15 minutes!), I loaded up my heaviest scooter and my 250-pound neighbor and took off down the hill. My driveway is about 2 city blocks long and even without the trailer, scooter, and neighbor, I put the smart into 1st gear coming up to my house. Other than a slight increase in stopping distance going down the hill and the pickup being a little slow on the street below the smart easily handled the load. I am very, very pleased with the whole setup - the trailer tracked really well, even on some very sharp "switch back" right turns coming back up.

I'll post some pictures as soon as the painters leave and I can get out of the house again! - sheureka

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Smart Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode